Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    There are a variety of ways the Packers can approach this draft. Largely two spots will be needs going into the draft no matter what happens. OL and RB, there are a number of solid options who would fit the needs of the Packers. The top 4 guys all have potential to be feature backs while the top ten have a minimum of split back abilities.

Between Ball and Lattimore I don't know who fits the Packers better coming out of this draft with either works well. Ball will greatly benefit from being in the Packers offense considering he comes from a system where RB's are considered product players. If this is true Ball easily can fit in because his game is similar to what the Packers want from the run game. Ball is not a burner, but can fight for good yards. He can catch, block, and has great vision one of the biggest factors in a successful backs. He is a nice combo between what we have in Cedric Benson and what we had in Ahman Green. Not bad company to be compared to. While Ball may never be the grinder Benson has become, nor may he ever be the dual threat Ahman was he IMO will be a productive back. Between Starks, Ball, Benson, Green, Cobb, and Kuhn the Packers should have no issues with the running game. Now Lattimore on the other hand is clearly a work horse. He is a guy you know you can lean on. He's a down to the bone power back. He will beat up defense. He will wear them down. He can be a game changer. While Ball brings more versatility, Lattimore will be the bigger threat to open the passing game. However, Ball IMO will be a bigger threat in the passing game. He can allow the Packers to line up a wishbone style formation. They have to guys who can run the h-back screen out of the backfield with success. One downfall of Lattimore is he is not the blocker that Ball is. Lattimore for sure is more of a power back he compares more so to Brandon Jacobs, Frank Gore, and Steven Jackson. If Ball can repeat his production he will be in the end zone a lot. Ball I think can take the Packers offense to new levels where as Lattimore only provides some balance.

OL for sure needs to be address not because it has player poor they have done well, but because they can't be stuck in a transition like they did with Clifton and Tauscher. If Saturday begins to decline due to age or he eventually leaves they are stuck in quite a bind. They need to either select a guy who will compete immediately or someone who is just a level down and can be developed to the previous level. The guys under center have quite a rep over the past two decade featuring Frank Winters, Mike Flanagan, Scott Wells, and Jeff Saturday nows not the time to stop that. The guy I like is Graham Pocic. He's a more likely to be there than Barrett Jones. Jones however, provides fantastic versatility. Jones has a nice chance to be a safety net if Sherrod is not able to produce, but can play center if needed as well. Nonetheless, I like Pocic the most. Buried in the ranking in a rebuilding Illinois program. Pocic has a low center of gravity, but is quick off the ball. His size is above the average, but its not a mandatory factor. He is a strong athletic player who can develop into an outstanding talent. Probably the biggest center in the draft he clearly is not a fit to be under center for Russel Wilson or Drew Brees. Between Barrett Jones and Graham Pocic I don't think the Packers could go wrong with either. While I think Sherrod will produce when he returns its still a possible route to go tackle later in the draft.
    Good post IRNMN. I agree with your assessments of the running backs. I really like both backs, but like you said with Lattimore he's a power back. While I'm a huge fan of power backs, I like guys with a little more wiggle than Lattimore gives. I'd say both are equally a threat in the passing game. I'd choose Ball over Lattimore though, just for our system and mainly for reasons you mentioned in your post. I also like the fact that he's much more equal in his running style. He can run stretch plays along with plays up the middle. I can't say that about Lattimore. And based on our commitment to run stretch plays with the ever slow Benson, I can tell we don't want to give that part up in the running game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mitten View Post
    i agree 100% about Frankilin, i honestly was more impressed with Patterson...the TE class is pretty nice... i thought Ertz and Toilolo looked good for Stanford, Eifert is really nice as well... i want to see Fauria, i know he was pretty hyped up when he committed to Notre Dame... i will definitely check out Purdue, i'm intrigued by Kawann Short, so i'll keep an eye out for Johnson....
    Yeah he's got a pretty good background and with his size I could see where the hype is coming from. However, when I see him play he looks clumsy to me. He seems like he's walking on ice. He falls out of his routes, can't avoid a cut block, he seems like he's always falling down. He's not very coordinated IMO. Needs to get stronger he's constantly getting pushed around. Stands too straight up when blocking, guys seem to get under him too much. Doesn't always engage in his blocks, he rather pushes and then releases right away. Not going to get a lot of yards after the catch. But it's not all bad. He's a big target (more length than width). Anything high he seems to come down with. Not really a contribute to his hops but more to his massively long arms. Can stretch the field better than expected for a guy with his speed. Long strides. He does a good job on run plays turning his defender creating a hole. Average hands.

If there is anything different that you see let me know. These are just my observations of him and what I've seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPacker2 View Post
    Did you get to see Anthony Barr OLB from UCLA play? How'd he do? I missed the game cuz apparently DirecTV doesn't air UCLA games in LA. Offensive skill player turned OLB so he has the speed, quickness, and skills. He looked good against Nebraska.
    Okay, I was able to rewatch the game against Nebraska. Stat wise I think he's having a pretty good year. And the UCLA defense as a whole has done very well. But Barr comes from a pretty good background. His dad played in the NFL along with 3 uncles. He's a converted FB/TE so he's a bit raw at the OLB position which I'll go into. He did play it in high school however and was ranked 10th on scout.com among OLBs.

First thing I noticed was that he's tall and lanky. He definitely looks like a TE or maybe even a receiver. Strength is an issue for him. He's 235 right now, it would be nice for him to get to 245 by next year.

Off the line he's good. Quick. Not Clay quick but quicker than most. Against the run he's solid. Nothing seems to get past him on the edge. He's definitely fast enough to get out there. On runs inside he's disciplined and contains the outside. I didn't see him crash down inside and lose his containment at all. His pursuit to the ball is pretty good. I didn't see him get hung up on guys.

Rushing the passer: This is where he's a bit raw. He got a sack in this game but it was bad snap and he basically met the QB at the ball. He could've got another sack late in the game but he tackled too high and the QB got away. He was on the run anyway. His feet are quick but it's not consistent enough that the T has to really worry about him going around the edge. His cuts need work (outside to inside move). I can tell he doesn't really know what to do with his hands when he's pass rushing. He doesn't really fight off blocks. Once the blocker has him, he seems to be stuck. His leverage and swim move could be better. He's so tall that if he tries to go underneath the blocker he gets hung up a lot. He tried bullrushing, he didn't really go anywhere.

Coverage: Saw him drop back into a zone. He didn't really look out of place. He actually seemed comfortable with it. And he actually tipped a pass that almost ended up being an INT.

I'd say his instincts of the game are there which is a big positive, but he just needs to learn some things in rushing the passer. The rest of his game is pretty solid. Right now I think he's best as a hybrid 4-3 OLB (Von Miller type).
    Last edited by wissportsfan; 09-22-2012 at 05:59 AM.

vCash
    couldn't agree with you more on Fauria Wis.... after watching him today, he's ok, but nothing special.... if Barr can put on 10-15 lbs in the next year, he could really be something.... i like his athleticism and heart, he just needs to develop his LB skills and bulk up a little...and completely unrelated to the draft or the Packers, but regarding Ball...i love Ball, as a Badger honk, i love the dedication he showed by changing his body and game.. that said, i can't wait for Melvin Gordon to be the man.... and imo, Knile Davis needs to return for his senior year, he's just not back to where he was before the injury...

and for all my fellow Ray Ray Armstrong fans, NAIA wouldn't let him play, no football for him this year.

and Cobi Hamilton, have a day!
    Last edited by Richard Mitten; 09-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    couldn't agree with you more on Fauria Wis.... after watching him today, he's ok, but nothing special.... if Barr can put on 10-15 lbs in the next year, he could really be something.... i like his athleticism and heart, he just needs to develop his LB skills and bulk up a little...and completely unrelated to the draft or the Packers, but regarding Ball...i love Ball, as a Badger honk, i love the dedication he showed by changing his body and game.. that said, i can't wait for Melvin Gordon to be the man.... and imo, Knile Davis needs to return for his senior year, he's just not back to where he was before the injury...

and for all my fellow Ray Ray Armstrong fans, NAIA wouldn't let him play, no football for him this year.

and Cobi Hamilton, have a day!
    Yeah I'm glad we both see the same thing. As far as Davis I haven't seen him yet this year. I think I got a game on tape but haven't been able to watch it yet. I did a report on him before the season started and I felt he had good power and decent speed but if he lost any of that power or speed because of this injury he's going to have trouble at the next level.

vCash
    i was also really impressed with EJ Manuel... he has really developed as a QB since his freshman year.... that Benjamin kid, only a redshirt frosh, is gonna be a beast...

vCash
    I would love to see the packers add Barrett jones because of his versatility he can be groomed as Saturdays replacement or move over to the outside and be the force off the edge. He is explosive and powerful. He is quick off the ball and plays a techiniqially sound game. His work ethic will make him an excellent pro he should be an above average lineman worst case.

vCash
    That Carradine dude from Florida state looks like he is a beast

There you go thumper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    That Carradine dude from Florida state looks like he is a beast
    plus his name is Cornellius "Tank"!... FSU has some stud pass rushers, I can't wait to see how Werner and Carradine test out, but i wouldn't object to either... some good games this weekend...

LSU @ Florida - can't wait to watch the LSU D across the board... specifically Logan and Reid (i think Mingo and Montgomery will be out of our price range)... on Florida, Elam, should be a good chance to gauge his run support... also want to watch Bostic and Floyd...

Georgia @ South Carolina - should be a chance to see how Lattimore does against a really good defense... Georgia's D across the board as well...

West Virginia @ Texas - Geno Smith is a stud, but I'm gonna watch the WR's... good chance to see the pass rush skills of Jeffcoat & Okafor. And Vaccaro's coverage skills...

i don't think Michigan @ Purdue is gonna be in my viewing area, so i don't get to see Short... i watched a little of him against Marshall, but that game was a blow out, and it was Marshall... I was impressed with the CB's from Purdue... at least in the first half, just saw the box score from that game, i missed all the fun, sheeesh!
    Last edited by Richard Mitten; 10-10-2012 at 05:17 PM.

vCash
    plus his name is Cornellius "Tank"!... FSU has some stud pass rushers, I can't wait to see how Werner and Carradine test out, but i wouldn't object to either... some good games this weekend...

LSU @ South Carolina - can't wait to watch the LSU D across the board... specifically Logan and Reid (i think Mingo and Montgomery will be out of our price range)... on Florida, Elam, should be a good chance to gauge his run support

Georgia @ South Carolina - should be a chance to see how Lattimore does against a really good defense... Georgia's D across the board as well...

West Virginia @ Texas - Geno Smith is a stud, but I'm gonna watch the WR's... good chance to see the pass rush skills of Jeffcoat & Okafor. And Vaccaro's coverage skills...

i don't think Michigan @ Purdue is gonna be in my viewing area, so i don't get to see Short... i watched a little of him against Marshall, but that game was a blow out, and it was Marshall... I was impressed with the CB's from Purdue...
    Yeah i really like Carradine he is such a beast. I bet he is going to go pretty early though.

I also really like the TE from Oregon i think his name is Colt Lyerla if i remember correctly. He is a jack of all trades and i think he would be a great fit in our system.

There you go thumper

vCash
    Colt's a sophmore, but i also am a fan... really like his size athleticism... he's not afraid to block, and that offense demands versitility, he is also used as a tailback... he's got potential, he got into a little trouble or something at the begining of the year, but i don't think it was serious... Chip Kelly is a mad scientist!

vCash
    Colt's a sophmore, but i also am a fan... really like his size athleticism... he's not afraid to block, and that offense demands versitility, he is also used as a tailback... he's got potential, he got into a little trouble or something at the begining of the year, but i don't think it was serious... Chip Kelly is a mad scientist!
    I envy Oregon...they always seem to have a stellar team....I wish Wisconsin could compete with that program....

vCash
    Clowney from S. Carolina is amazing. I can't believe he is only a Sophomore

There you go thumper

vCash
    a few things... Matt Elam is a really good safety, was all over the field, but with his size i'm afraid he'll end up as another Bob Sanders... If i had to choose, i'd take Vaccaro right now over Elam or Reid... Lattimore did really good against a really good defense, i was really impressed with South Carolina's o-line, Clowney is a freak of nature... Jeffcoat and Okafor are pure pass rushers, and pretty good at it...

vCash
    Yeah I watched Okafor for maybe 15 min Saturday. Was pretty impressed with what I saw. I looked at Reid early in the year I really liked the guy. But I like big hitting safeties. The LaRon Landry type and that's what he reminded me of.

Page 6 of 67 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast