Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Need some advice.

So after a long hiatus I decided to start playing basketball again last year. Played a pick up game once a week. A couple of months ago I tried out for an amateur team and I've been training with them once a week since then while also playing my regular pick up game once a week and trying to fit in some practice once a week, even just to get some shots up.

I'm comfortable that my skills will develop and I'll shake off the rust just from playing. My stamina will improve somewhat but I really need to get back in shape and playing twice a week isn't enough, so I'm heading back to the gym (which I hate).

I'm looking for some tips on what to focus on with cardio, is there anything specific for basketball players that I should look at? I seen one guy doing defensive slides on a treadmill but that didn't look safe to me haha.

I'm focusing on improving stamina but wouldn't mind strengthening my legs in the process. I'll be doing some free weight stuff for my upper body but I'm not overly concerned about that, I've been slim all my life and it isn't changing now lol.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.

vCash
    do interval sprints on the tread mill and stirs/hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    For leg strengthening: Hamstrings are vital (naturally your hamstrings are weaker than your quads because you do not use them in everyday movements so I think they need to be about 60% as strong as your quads to help avoid injury). The hamstring curl machine is the best exercise followed by the leg press (put your feet at the top of the board and further apart than if you were focusing on your quads).

vCash
    Insanity does a sick job with cardio and uses a lot of sport like exercise moves. It'll get you in shape for sure but you can read some other Insanity reviews to see http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...out-reviews.do Me and a couple buddies did it last year. I still went on runs a couple times a week while doing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    do interval sprints on the tread mill and stirs/hills.
    yea, probably something like this would be great. Maybe even a little HIIT in your routine. Also, I'd def try and do free weight lifts for legs too, sounded like in the op you weren't gonna do that...
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Cardio is good exercise because this is my experience. It is best for strength and for losing weight quickly. There are many cardio exercises and if we do any cardio for only 30 minutes in a day then we can maintain fitness.
    Last edited by RonaldoAllen; 09-20-2014 at 05:44 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    For leg strengthening: Hamstrings are vital (naturally your hamstrings are weaker than your quads because you do not use them in everyday movements so I think they need to be about 60% as strong as your quads to help avoid injury). The hamstring curl machine is the best exercise followed by the leg press (put your feet at the top of the board and further apart than if you were focusing on your quads).
    Especially thanks for this^
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bird
    It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jordan
    Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.