Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I think is mostly a coincidence, but then again you never know.
    it is not a coincidence Mets already stated this is what they look for. They have a middle of the diamond obsession

vCash
    You are not paying attention, we already know that their intentions have been to get more up the middle talent, the coincidence part was directed at the fact that many of these guys are small.

vCash
    I don't think this was posted before, but here is some video of Rosario at citifield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmWm...eature=related

vCash
    You do realize that Jose Reyes depending who did the reporting was either 5'8" 137 lbs or 148 lbs. Fred Wilpon thought he was too small to give a $22 K bonus to so he dispatched Minaya to look at him and ok the bonus.

Two teams turned signing him for $22 K. Cubbies were one of the two, I don't know if I ever knew the name of the other team.

vCash
    You also have to consider this. Drafting SS, 2B, and C are not just because the FO likes those position.

Those 3 positions are pretty much the hardest 3 positions to get top talent at. Say Rosario and Cecchini turn out to be very good SS. Well now they become very valuable to another team looking for a young piece at a premium position. Having a ton of top quality players at SS, 2B, and C is almost as important as having as many good pitchers as possible. How do you get a better chance at finding top quality there? By signing and drafting as many as possible.

Just looking at the bigger picture really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    You also have to consider this. Drafting SS, 2B, and C are not just because the FO likes those position.

Those 3 positions are pretty much the hardest 3 positions to get top talent at. Say Rosario and Cecchini turn out to be very good SS. Well now they become very valuable to another team looking for a young piece at a premium position. Having a ton of top quality players at SS, 2B, and C is almost as important as having as many good pitchers as possible. How do you get a better chance at finding top quality there? By signing and drafting as many as possible.

Just looking at the bigger picture really.
    nah this is overrated to me. There is no correlation between having the best SS and 2B and winning the world series. Mets need to worry about getting the best players not getting guys just because they play a position. We suck and we need upgrades everywhere mets should be BPA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    nah this is overrated to me. There is no correlation between having the best SS and 2B and winning the world series. Mets need to worry about getting the best players not getting guys just because they play a position. We suck and we need upgrades everywhere mets should be BPA
    That's not the point here, the point is that you don't draft to fix immediate needs. Guys like Nimmo and Cecchini won't make their major league impact for 4-5 years.

So that point is essentially moot.

Ultimately, it is traditionally much harder to find a SS or 2nd baseman who can have .750+ OPS than an OF with .850+ OPS. Solid middle infielders are a luxury to have whereas there are plenty of OF in the league that hit for power and have solid ISO and wOBAs.

Cecchini is still very raw, he has some polish to him, he can play the field and we will see what his bat turns into but i wouldn't make the presumption that a kid that young couldn't grow into a solid major league everyday SS.
    Last edited by metswon69; 10-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    That's not the point here, the point is that you don't draft to fix immediate needs. Guys like Nimmo and Cecchini won't make their major league impact for 4-5 years.

So that point is essentially moot.

Ultimately, it is traditionally much harder to find a SS or 2nd baseman who can have .750+ OPS than an OF with .850+ OPS. Solid middle infielders are a luxury to have whereas there are plenty of OF in the league that hit for power and have solid ISO and wOBAs.

Cecchini is still very raw, he has some polish to him, he can play the field and we will see what his bat turns into but i wouldn't make the presumption that a kid that young couldn't grow into a solid major league everyday SS.
    So you'd be happy with a solid major league SS vs having an all star outfielder?

vCash
    So you'd be happy with a solid major league SS vs having an all star outfielder?
    I would rather have an all-star outfielder. The thing is, outfield production is easier to find than production at short stop.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    I would rather have an all-star outfielder. The thing is, outfield production is easier to find than production at short stop.
    This

vCash
    How about spending some $$$$ on the OF?

vCash
    LOL really dude? This guy is like 5-6 years away, our OF issues will be solved way before then. Have you forgotten about Vincente Lupo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    How about spending some $$$$ on the OF?
    Mets have no money to spend. People are saying outfield help is so easy to find yes if you have a lot of money to spend you can get good outfield help. The mets dont so we need to draft outfielders and the fact that there are more productive outfielders means they are a safer bet to draft over SS/2B

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    LOL really dude? This guy is like 5-6 years away, our OF issues will be solved way before then. Have you forgotten about Vincente Lupo?
    So why not spend on an OF'er?

Last years big IFA acquisition was also a SS.

With limited funds why keep obsessing about one position?

What does Vincente Lupo have to do with anything?

vCash
    Mets have no money to spend. People are saying outfield help is so easy to find yes if you have a lot of money to spend you can get good outfield help. The mets dont so we need to draft outfielders and the fact that there are more productive outfielders means they are a safer bet to draft over SS/2B
    This obsession with SS makes no sense to me.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast