Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yup.

I can't remember the numbers exactly, but I think Jae Seo, Fernando Martinez, and Juan Urbina are the only international FAs they have signed for $1 million-plus. And, Urbina was signed in a year where they didn't have a 1st round pick, so it's not like they went an extra mile to spend money, imo, that year.

I hope the tweet is true.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 06-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Yup.

I can't remember the numbers exactly, but I think Jae Seo, Fernando Martinez, and Juan Urbina are the only international FAs they have signed for $1 million-plus.
    Kaz Matsui.

vCash
    I hope it happens. It sounds like he has a lot of potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Kaz Matsui.
    Yep. True. Let me amend my comment to, international amateur free agents.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Kaz Matsui.
    Well I did not mean to include guys who played pro ball elsewhere.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter
    LOS ANGELES -- Dominican shortstop Germán Ahmed Rosario will sign with the Mets for $1.7 million when major league teams are permitted to sign international 16-year-olds on Monday, ESPNDeportes.com's Enrique Rojas reports.

That would be the highest international bonus ever for a Mets signing, topping the $1.3 million handed to Fernando Martinez in 2005.

Rojas indicated the Blue Jays also showed interest in Rosario, while Baseball America listed the Astros and White Sox.

Rojas listed the 6-3, 170-pound Rosario as his No. 2 Latin American prospect. Rosario could end up at third base. Rojas describes Rosario as a polished hitter with power.

Baseball America ranks the right-hitting, righty-throwing Rosario 11th on its prospect list. The magazine notes he is well-educated and that his father is a lawyer. Writes BA:

Rosario might be the most divisive player in Latin America. He has a long, lanky build, good bat speed and raw power in batting practice along with average speed. Some scouts who like Rosario enough to have him ranked as the top prospect in the Dominican Republic, seeing him as a true shortstop ... with power. ... He showed that at the MLB showcase in February in games against Venezuela, going 4-for-7 with a double, a walk and no strikeouts. Supporters like his fielding instincts, hands, arm strength and ability to make the barehanded play. Other scouts see an upright hitter with a leg kick that gets him out on his front foot against offspeed stuff and leads to strikeouts with his uppercut stroke. His body has a lot of room to fill out, so he may end up at third base, but some scouts aren't sold on his infield actions and see him as a corner outfielder.

vCash

I love this.

I also wonder about his family background. Ahmed is an Arabic name.

vCash
    6-3 170 at 16? Wow, this is gonna be fun to watch.

vCash
    Sounds a little like Flores, but with mechanical issues. And I wouldn't worry much about mechanical issues for a 16-year old.

Also like the sound of Julio De La Cruz, a good contact hitter with an advanced approach and projectable power.

I like that the Mets keep collecting bats in the international arena. It seems to me raw athletes and arms tend to get overvalued there, and then more polished bats get overvalued in the draft. So grabbing top HS up the middle talent in the draft, and big corner bats in the international market may be exploiting a market inefficiency.

vCash
    Though Flores problem was his speed or lack of it why he is better suited for a corner spot in the infield. This kid sounds like he has better speed and hopefully he can stay at SS, a ton of big guys have been drafted of late that are guys many think could stay at SS from Machado to Correa.

vCash
    I like the signing. This team just really, really likes SS. But yeah, ideally they can sign an OF from this class like Palma as well. It would really help to add some more OF bats to our draft class this year. Also it doesn't hurt to spend the money now before it starts getting counted. Lots of teams will probably offer larger sums in the next few days to kids so that they can get their guys before July 2. For 2.2M, we can get all the mid range guys we need, but right now is the time to scoop up the high upside kids.

vCash
    That will likely be it for the Meta as far as big name signings, they only have 1.2 million left after that and will likely spread that up with a ton of minor signings, maybe there is a guy there that signs in the around 200k to 400k.

vCash
    Wow I'm so happy we went out and signed a big name guy. He sounds like he has a world of potential with the bat and the ability to stay at SS.

vCash
    I forgot the name but we had 1 pretty big name we signed last year as well right?

vCash

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast