Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StryderSox View Post
    I dont know if thats enough. Based on what it cost us to get Pronger I think my offer looks something like this:

JVR/Read plus a larger contract (Briere/Hartnell/Timonen) plus a first and possibly a lower pick. With Couts and Schenn we can afford to lose the picks, the big contract frees up space to sign Weber long term and the lose of JVR or Read is more than a reasonable trade off for a franchise defenseman.
    I wouldn't think that would be enough as well.I can't see Nashville interested in the other large contracts though. I would include Read in there and make it JVR, Read and Mez. But who knows whether that would be enough. The reality is they may not get as much as they think they can for him. There are probably only a handful of teams in the NHL that are winning franchises that can afford to pay him. I don't know that it's a scenario that anyone will want to dismantle their franchise for him. A lot depends on Weber and how much he wants to move on from Nashville. He's still a free agent technically and his choice of where he wants to play will influence how much anyone has to give up.

vCash
    dont know if anybody else has mentioned this..

but Eklund (who has very decent sources within the Flyers and completely called the Grossmann trade a month in advance) is saying the Flyers like Douglas Murray from San Jose a lot, which is the same thing he said about Grossmann.

Murray is basically a clone of Grossmann at 6'3" 240lbs and is a stay at home dman. Would be a great addition to this team, giving us 3 very big guys. And a low cap hit. 1 year left on a 2.5 mill contract. If they traded a prospect/pick for him and Carle was resigned for cheap, I would like that D. Half stay at homers (Coby, Gross, Murray) and half skaters (Carle, Timm, Mez)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    dont know if anybody else has mentioned this..

but Eklund (who has very decent sources within the Flyers and completely called the Grossmann trade a month in advance) is saying the Flyers like Douglas Murray from San Jose a lot, which is the same thing he said about Grossmann.

Murray is basically a clone of Grossmann at 6'3" 240lbs and is a stay at home dman. Would be a great addition to this team, giving us 3 very big guys. And a low cap hit. 1 year left on a 2.5 mill contract. If they traded a prospect/pick for him and Carle was resigned for cheap, I would like that D. Half stay at homers (Coby, Gross, Murray) and half skaters (Carle, Timm, Mez)
    saw that as well. like murray. very solid, very big.

i'd be absolutely fine with adding him and re-signing carle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    saw that as well. like murray. very solid, very big.

i'd be absolutely fine with adding him and re-signing carle.
    You must have had a nice vacation..........you're WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too agreeable

vCash
    I would try to sign justinshultz before trying to add murray

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    You must have had a nice vacation..........you're WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too agreeable
    haha no i've had my eye on murray for a while. the guy is just flat out huge and he hits like a truck. love his game.

if i had my way, perfect Flyers off-season for me would be (in no particular order):

- sign schultz

- sign parise

- sign voracek

- hear the bryz worked his *** off this summer

if the Flyers can get that done, i'll be happier than a pig in ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    I would try to sign justinshultz before trying to add murray
    I would agree to that too! Justin is young and great for future after Timmo. Wait and see what plays out with Justin before pulling the trigger on Murray.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    haha no i've had my eye on murray for a while. the guy is just flat out huge and he hits like a truck. love his game.

if i had my way, perfect Flyers off-season for me would be (in no particular order):

- sign schultz

- sign parise

- sign voracek

- hear the bryz worked his *** off this summer

if the Flyers can get that done, i'll be happier than a pig in ****
    As far as Bryz goes, I don't think there was ever a knock on the guy's work ethic. The main thing he needs to do is come in mentally prepared to play. He needs to get rid of the media distractions, the twitter BS and all that kinda stuff and just play hockey. That's probably the most important thing that can happen this off season to be honest.

As far as the Shultz kid. Yeah, it sounds like he's going to have a bright future. But at the same time we can't put big expectations on him. He's still gonna have a learning curve at the NHL level.

I agree, I'd like to see Voracek back for another year.

vCash
    I also saw the Murray rumor. It would have to be a trade maybe send BOB in a package with one of our young Dman. SJ loves Russian goalies and Niemi was worse the Bryz last season.

Murray would solve alot of issue and be obtained at a verrrrrrrrrrry cheap price tag. If he plays well we will have a lot more money to sign him to an extension after next season, as Kimmo contract is up.

Coburn-Grossman
    Mez-Kimmo
    Murray-?? (whoever else Homer brings in)

Murray would be a huge 1st step. Vorachek step 2, another Dman (replacing CARLE) step 3, replacing Jagr step 4

vCash
    A couple of interesting factoids on Justin Schultz. We know if he doesn't sign with the Ducks he becomes a Free Agent on July 1st. But there is a weird clause in this where he can actually begin negotiating with teams prior to July 1st. He can't actually sign there, but he can basically negotiate and agree to it all prior to then. That gives a team a pretty good advantage heading into July 1. If you know you have him already that can shape the directions you go then.

Secondly.....the Rangers are feeling like they have the inside track since Schultz played on the same Wisconsin team as McDonagh and Stepan. He was a Freshman during their last year there, but still may give them a competitive advantage in signing the kid....provided Stepan and McDonagh are really happy there and talk it up.

Since he can only sign an entry level contract I'm not sure what "negotiations" would involve though....other than selling the future of your franchise to him.

vCash
    The trick on Murray would be why San Jose would want to trade him. If he's a solid guy with a reasonable cap hit you'd think their only reason to want to deal him would be to get something similar back in return so I'm not sure what it would take to get a deal done there.

The only way I'm thinking it could make sense is if they really do feel like they want to give Bob a shot at the NHL level this year to compete for the starting job. Other than that who else would they want that would make it worthwhile for them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    A couple of interesting factoids on Justin Schultz. We know if he doesn't sign with the Ducks he becomes a Free Agent on July 1st. But there is a weird clause in this where he can actually begin negotiating with teams prior to July 1st. He can't actually sign there, but he can basically negotiate and agree to it all prior to then. That gives a team a pretty good advantage heading into July 1. If you know you have him already that can shape the directions you go then.

Secondly.....the Rangers are feeling like they have the inside track since Schultz played on the same Wisconsin team as McDonagh and Stepan. He was a Freshman during their last year there, but still may give them a competitive advantage in signing the kid....provided Stepan and McDonagh are really happy there and talk it up.

Since he can only sign an entry level contract I'm not sure what "negotiations" would involve though....other than selling the future of your franchise to him.
    The rangers dont need another Dman after this season where offense was again the main problem and with del zottos, stralmans, and multiple role players contracts up he's going to get a hefty raise, I would say the flyers have as good a shot as any team, they may say ey have the inside track but I don't buy that for a minute. Also the majority of the rangers defense are as young as can be

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    The rangers dont need another Dman after this season where offense was again the main problem and with del zottos, stralmans, and multiple role players contracts up he's going to get a hefty raise, I would say the flyers have as good a shot as any team, they may say ey have the inside track but I don't buy that for a minute. Also the majority of the rangers defense are as young as can be
    well one thing is for sure...you can't ever have enough strong defenseman.....the kid would fit in real nicely instead of Bickel or anyone else they plug on the 3rd pair.

vCash
    OK. As we move into June here I find myself focusing on the goalies to start with. With Bryz firmly entrenched as the number one, we honestly have to ask then "What about Bob"??

The dilemna being a couple things. In the cap world he's paid pretty well to be a back up. Ideally we'd want someone with half his cap hit at that spot. Now that extra 850K or so isn't really a deal breaker. The bigger issue is his contract status. He's schedule to be a RFA at the end of this year and I don't believe he can be sent down without clearing waivers. I can't imagine any scenario where someone wouldn't claim him if we tried.

So the issue is really what's in the best interest of the team?? I think most would agree that at his age he needs to be playing, the AHL being the most logical spot at this point. With Bryz locked into a long term deal and we seem to be stuck having to have him sit as a back up or lose him then what should we do? If we can't find regular playing time for him how long will he stick around anyway? So what do we do?

Further complicating matters is that there doesn't seem to be any other goalie prospects in the organization that are legitimately rated as having the potential to be the future here. So can we actually afford to lose Bob?

It just seems to me that when you put Bryz's contract terms and Bob's contract terms out there that we've backed ourselves into a corner of sorts. The easy answer I suppose is to go with another year of Bryz and Bob and wait another season to have to deal with it...just see how each guy does again this year and then choose one to run with based on this year.

Do you just figure that Bryz is gonna give you at least four more strong years and move Bob now and worry about goalie down the line again?

Do we need to find some way to hang on to Bob and keep him playing somewhere for the next few years until we can find a way to move Bryz out? I just don't totally trust Bryz yet either.....I know he had a strong second half and we have no choice but to ride the idea that after a year under his belt he will be strong from start to finish next year. But his post season comments leave enough doubt to make you wonder whether he truly can play in a big market city that has expectations. When times are good then it's easy for him...but if he stumbles or slumps a little will we be getting twitters of his thermos...

so to me it's a pretty complex problem to figure out what to do with Bob....it's easy to do now without thinking about the future, but if you genuinely look at the guy and say "dag, he could be a beast in a few years" then it's hard to just move him and hope we find another goalie a few years down the road...but there doesn't appear to be anywhere for him other than sitting on the bench as the backup...
    Last edited by Hatch; 05-30-2012 at 03:11 PM.

vCash
    I had a dream that Bryz said he was going to retire in two years. I like him and think he is going to be much better, but that contract is a killer.

We should build our defense like LA's. All of their dmen are great at moving the puck and they rarely make mistakes like our D. It doesn't just stop there though, our forwards need to be much better playing in our own zone. I don't think Jagr should be back, we don't need two Briere's who can't play D at all and are huge liabilities. Replace Jagr with a good two way player who excels in the fore check (like j.stoll).

If Lavy doesn't want to implement a strong defensive system, then at least have a reliable assistant coach who can really help our young guys out. The best way to beat a great defensive team is with a ton of forecheck. I want to see us cause more turnovers to help our D out.

Page 24 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast