Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 225 of 1150
  1. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,887
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I don't know if either guy gets quite that much...if you look around the league there are very few defenseman making over 6 million...VERY few. True that every year someone makes a little more money....but I'm not so sure that the market will put Suter in the 7 million dollar club.

    Also keep in mind that just because the cap is rumored to take a decent sized jump up that doesn't mean that teams will spend to it. There is still only a certain number of teams that will spend to it......I don't know that I see a bidding war for Suter. Given their roster situation I'd think that Detroit would chase him pretty hard....a guy in his situation is going to think "hockey city" for a fair deal not 7+ million to go play for the Blue Jackets.

    MY guess he'll get 6'ish......carle sticks around 4.5-5

    its called inflation. Yes they will. If every team gets 6 million additional cap, the theoretical dollar value of an NHL contract goes down, and new contract figures go up. Prized UFA's this offseason will make bank.

    I have a degree in economics, this is one thing I know about.


  2. #212
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    3,642
    vCash
    1500
    I can only picture Stevens here cracking his knuckles when an issue of value as dictated by proportionate inflation in a set market came to rise.

    Carle will get high $5 million as it stands, so it's going to be a rough market for us if we want to improve (let alone retain quality).


    Happy Summer 2014. Welcome it in with half an hour of awesome, courtesy of yours truly - Patrick Montgomery - and my new EDM megamix, Why You Heff to Bang Mad?

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,558
    vCash
    1500
    Carle really isn't worth more then 3.5-4 million to me, he makes an abundance of defensive errors, I'd rather trade his rights so we get at least something cause the open market will net him 4.5-5 million a year which is such a joke


    FLYERS/EAGLES

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,455
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    Carle really isn't worth more then 3.5-4 million to me, he makes an abundance of defensive errors, I'd rather trade his rights so we get at least something cause the open market will net him 4.5-5 million a year which is such a joke
    it is, but it isn't for the reasons RS explained.

    plus, Carle made $3.8 mil this year. he wouldn't only take a $200,000 raise if the cap wasn't going up at all. with the supposed new cap, there's no way he takes just $200,000 more.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Poconos
    Posts
    10,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotoworld:
    Matt Carle is eligible for unrestricted free agency this summer but Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren believes the reliable defenseman will re-sign with the Flyers.
    "I don't see any reason why we can't work out a deal," Holmgren said. "His demands, when I spoke with him and his agent, nothing was ever out of line. Could we get him under market value? I would say that we probably could. I don't see any issues there."
    RUK where u at bro??? this makes you happy?? IF he takes a hometown discount. 4.5 or more and damn... id feel like a little bell boy.

    IF we dont go after any big dman then I fully expect the news for Pronger is good. If we go after a big name on defense.....expect Pronger LTIR.


    Whelp we get to watch NJD vs NYR le sigh....

    Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,887
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    RUK where u at bro??? this makes you happy?? IF he takes a hometown discount. 4.5 or more and damn... id feel like a little bell boy.

    IF we dont go after any big dman then I fully expect the news for Pronger is good. If we go after a big name on defense.....expect Pronger LTIR.


    Whelp we get to watch NJD vs NYR le sigh....
    I think you can pretty much count him out. I also think its selfish to even talk about him playing hockey again. I'm more worried about him being able to live a normal/happy life at this point.

    There have been 2 early signs so far this offseason. First, Carle may very well stay in Philly at a discount, probably the 4.5 range. Also, looks like Jagr is gone.

    If they resign Carle, all they can really do is find an upgrade over Lilja at the #6 spot. I hate that. I think Gus or Bart should ride the whole season at #6 to get some experience.


  7. #217
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    3,642
    vCash
    1500
    Sucks if we lose Jagr, but I think his days among the top 9 are numbered.


    Happy Summer 2014. Welcome it in with half an hour of awesome, courtesy of yours truly - Patrick Montgomery - and my new EDM megamix, Why You Heff to Bang Mad?

  8. #218
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,672
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    its called inflation. Yes they will. If every team gets 6 million additional cap, the theoretical dollar value of an NHL contract goes down, and new contract figures go up. Prized UFA's this offseason will make bank.

    I have a degree in economics, this is one thing I know about.
    You don't need a degree in economics to know that contracts go up a little each year. That happens in every sport. But almost half the teams in the NHL didn't even get within 8 million of spending their cap limit. So even if it goes up another 5 million or whatever, they suddenly aren't going to say 'wow,let's throw 7 million at Gary Suter' because the NHL is giving us 5 million more.

    The opposite side is that the Big Market teams would be willing to spend that much money because they could outspend the cap if they wanted to.....but the trouble is if they give away a contract that's too rich today then in the next few years when the cap will not make significant jumps things get awfully tight again. The same ditch we've been in the last few years after the big money deals to Briere, Timmonen etc....

    Detroit seems to be in the best position to maybe overspend a little if they wanted to......Weber gets 7+ for sure....but I don't think too many GM's are going to give Suter that kind of deal simply because Weber isn't available. I'm sure he'll get a very nice deal.....but my gut is that it's still going to be somewhere around 6 ish rather than 7+

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,887
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    You don't need a degree in economics to know that contracts go up a little each year. That happens in every sport. But almost half the teams in the NHL didn't even get within 8 million of spending their cap limit. So even if it goes up another 5 million or whatever, they suddenly aren't going to say 'wow,let's throw 7 million at Gary Suter' because the NHL is giving us 5 million more.

    The opposite side is that the Big Market teams would be willing to spend that much money because they could outspend the cap if they wanted to.....but the trouble is if they give away a contract that's too rich today then in the next few years when the cap will not make significant jumps things get awfully tight again. The same ditch we've been in the last few years after the big money deals to Briere, Timmonen etc....

    Detroit seems to be in the best position to maybe overspend a little if they wanted to......Weber gets 7+ for sure....but I don't think too many GM's are going to give Suter that kind of deal simply because Weber isn't available. I'm sure he'll get a very nice deal.....but my gut is that it's still going to be somewhere around 6 ish rather than 7+
    Yea, and the other half are within 1 million of the cap ceiling. at least 12 NHL teams would spend to their new cap limit, and thats more then enough for the prized UFA's to get paid hefty contracts this season.

    And no, not every year in sports does the cap go up 10%. Contracts and caps are expected to rise 3% annually (average US inflation rate). A 10% raise is ridiculous and will have large repercussions. Enough to possibly fuel a lockout this offseason since the owners are already complaining the players get too much % of team revenue.


  10. #220
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    12,608
    vCash
    1500
    SUTER, SUTER, SUTER! Assuming that Pronger is indeed out for 2012 and with Carle, and others coming off the book you make the charge after him. Settling for someone like Barrett Jackman while acceptable should not happen.

    Suter - Timonen
    Coburn - Grossman
    Meszaros - Bourdon/Lilja

    That's my money on. The wild card is Justin Schultz of Anaheim who has a wealth of potential and can be signed for an ELC contract. I am done with Carle and moving on. He makes too many mistakes in his own zone.

    Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,558
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    SUTER, SUTER, SUTER! Assuming that Pronger is indeed out for 2012 and with Carle, and others coming off the book you make the charge after him. Settling for someone like Barrett Jackman while acceptable should not happen.

    Suter - Timonen
    Coburn - Grossman
    Meszaros - Bourdon/Lilja

    That's my money on. The wild card is Justin Schultz of Anaheim who has a wealth of potential and can be signed for an ELC contract. I am done with Carle and moving on. He makes too many mistakes in his own zone.
    This. Couldn't agree more, however I think Lilja will be waived and the last option will be gust/bourdon


    FLYERS/EAGLES

  12. #222
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    243
    vCash
    1500
    Hey, has anyone thought about going after Brad Stuart? Whats everyone thinking that Vorcek is going to cost us next year?

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,558
    vCash
    1500
    I think they are going after a RH Dman cause they are all currently lefties except for kubina who will be gone, Voracek should get around 2.8-3.5 and Jagr is probably gone, so to say brad stuart definitely won't be looked at is false but it's unlikely IMO


    FLYERS/EAGLES

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    1,558
    vCash
    1500
    You guys think bogosian for JVR would do the trick?


    FLYERS/EAGLES

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    9,455
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    You guys think bogosian for JVR would do the trick?
    no. i don't think we need to go that big in a trade offer. we could get someone without having to give up as much as JVR.

Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •