Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Official Off-Season Thread of the Orlando Magic

Unfortunately, season ended a lot earlier then we would have thought due to the Dwight injury, but it is time to move on, this team out of all the NBA teams easily has the most uncertain path ahead of them. Whether we fire or keep Otis and Stan or trade or keep Dwight Howard remains unknown. Here is a thread for all that speculation, as well as discussing any trades. Let's keep it clean and go Magic!

Dwight Howard:

Necessary decisions will be made" if Dwight Howard declines to sign a contract extension with the Orlando Magic during the summer of 2012, team CEO Alex Martins said Tuesday night, reports David Baumann of Bright House Sports Networks. Howard, a six-time All-Star and the league's top overall center, can become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career on July 1st, 2013, and Orlando wants to avoid losing him with no compensation.

On Howard's future, Martins said Tuesday "We'll cross that bridge when it comes to it," reports Baumann. But given that Howard is the axis on which the Magic franchise revolves, resolving his situation figures to be of the utmost importance when Orlando proceeds with its offseason.

Then again, Orlando could delay its overtures to Howard and instead focus on upgrading the players around him, making its extension pitch to the eight-year veteran only after overhauling the roster.

Otis Smith:

Otis Smith, the Orlando Magic's President of Basketball Operations, has one season remaining on his contract with the team, but he's yet to decide if he'll return to fulfill it, reports Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel.

"I haven't gotten into it," Smith said of his decision prior to Orlando's playoff ouster at the hands of the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday. "I'll have a conversation with a few people following the end of the season, and we'll see where we go from there."

Stan Van Gundy:

Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy has one year remaining on his contract, but rumors that his days in Orlando are numbered persisted throughout the season as reports of his relationship with superstar center Dwight Howard souring grew in frequency. The Indiana Pacers eliminated the Magic from the NBA playoffs on Tuesday in what might prove to be Van Gundy's last game at Orlando's helm.

"Yeah, I want to come back," Van Gundy told the media afterward, according to David Baumann of Bright House Sports Networks. "But that's not up to me. As far as the speculation... who gives a damn?" Baumann reports Van Gundy and team architect Otis Smith, officially Orlando's President of Basketball Operations, will face a review from team CEO Alex Martins and Chairman Dan DeVos.

Jameer Nelson:

After the Indiana Pacers eliminated his Orlando Magic from the NBA playoffs on Tuesday night, Orlando co-captain and point guard Jameer Nelson said he has yet to decide if he'll exercise his player option for the 2012/13 season, reports Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel.

If he uses the option, Nelson's salary--a reported $8.6 million, according to ShamSports--becomes locked in for the 2012/13 campaign, after which he'd become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. If Nelson declines the option, he'll become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, 2012. The St. Joe's product has until May 15th--one full week after Orlando's season ended--to make his decision, after which point he must notify the Magic.

Nelson said in late April he wants to finish his career with Orlando, and two reports the next day indicated Nelson was likely to choose free agency rather than pick up his option.

vCash
    David Aldrige: "Magic should re-sign Tracy McGrady"
    The Orlando Magic should re-sign swingman Tcy McGrady once free agency begins in July, writes David Aldridge of NBA.com in his weekly Morning Tip column. The veteran NBA writer argues the Magic have been at their best during the Dwight Howard era when they also employed "a small forward [...] whose size and playmaking ability allowed the other three players on the floor to do what they were on the court to do -- catch and shoot." Hedo Turkoglu isn't that player anymore, says Aldridge, but McGrady is. Aldridge cites McGrady's stellar assist-to-turnover ratios from his last two seasons as evidence that the former Magic superstar still has plenty to offer at the NBA level.

McGrady, who turns 33 later in May, averaged 5.3 points, three rebounds, and 2.1 assists for the Atlanta Hawks in the 2011/12 campaign and appeared in 52 of a possible 66 games. The year prior, with the Detroit Pistons, the Auburndale native posted averages of eight points, 3.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists in 72 appearances.

"If the Magic insist on the same four-out, one-in style around Howard next season," says Aldridge, "they have to have someone who can make things easier for the other guys." That'd be McGrady, who's played each of his last two seasons at the league's minimum salary and would thus be in Orlando's price range, despite its dire salary-cap situation.

In a March interview with Fox Sports Florida, McGrady argued that Howard should stay with the Magic instead of signing elsewhere. "It's a great city," he said. "It's great weather [....] So you already have something ragood there. Why try to go somewhere that you just never know?"

Orlando's incumbent small forwards are Turkoglu and Quentin Richardson, with Jason Richardson able to shift over from shooting guard if needed.

vCash
    @JoshuaBRobbins: #Magic GM Otis Smith told the @OrlandoSentinel 2nite he didn't know if he wants to return for 12-13: http://t.co/TDOJFp4q

Please let him go omg please. I literally hate his work
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post
    David Aldrige: "Magic should re-sign Tracy McGrady"
    No.
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    @JRudolphSports: The first of my Orlando Magic rumors is coming this afternoon; it's a goodie.
    Its begun

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    Its begun
    Rudolph is legit,he is very close to Dwight,and wasn't he the one who reported Dwight opted in after the San Antiono game?

vCash
    What do you think the news is? Dwight or the management not coming back. Maybe Dwight says he is staying this afternoon?!

Props to MJ BULLS!

vCash
    I hope it's Otis walking away. That's like getting this 1st pick in the draft to me

vCash
    Rudolph is gaining credibility. He still is wrong quite a bit. But I believe this, because it's common sense. Adonal has been groomed by this team to become the GM someday...

Otis will be gone...or at least someone else will assume the role of "general manager".

Stan will be gone.

Jameer has 3 days to decide whether or not to accept his player option...I'd imagine he will.

Dwight will be pressured to make a decision, and then the "fun" begins.

I'm not going to speculate about free agent targets or trade targets...it's futile. But, it should be a wild and stressful ride.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Adonal Foyle has interviewed for the general manager position with the Magic, according to multiple sources. The interview is said to have taken place before the trade deadline.

Foyle is currently Orlando's director of player development.

Foyle was actively involved in trade deadline talks surrounding Dwight Howard.

Otis Smith remains the GM of the Magic, a role he has had since 2006. Smith is under contract for the 12-13 season.

Magic CEO Alex Martins was non-committal on the future of Smith within the organization during his end of season media session.

If Smith is not retained as GM, Foyle is believed to be the favorite to replace him.
    This might be Rudolph's "big news".

vCash
    That was Rudolph's news...
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBucsSox View Post
    No.
    I think he would be better than Turk and he would cost a lot less, it is worth the shot, what would he make, the veteran's minimum? It isn't a huge gamble.

vCash
    i like t-mac. i wanted us to sign him last offseason too.

vCash
    i read somewhere that Nelson might not pick up his option. If that is true, i hope we can then trade JJ to a team under the cap for a 2nd round pick. Then trade our 1st+2nd+Hedo to another team under the cap. That way we will have enough capspace to offer Dwill a max contract. No JJ and Hedo means we'll need to sign a wing for MLE (crawford?) and we can sign t-mac/bogans/stevenson/pietrus/bill walker for the vet min.
    It all depends on if Nelson opts out or not.
    Last edited by 5ass; 05-09-2012 at 03:26 PM.

vCash

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast