Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Understand Sabermetrics : On Base Percentage (OBP)

The entire premise of the movie Moneyball, and the whole moneyball craze, was the thought that defense did not matter, home runs did not matter, batting average did not matter, the only thing that mattered was getting on base. I , without doing hours of research and still not getting a 100% correct answer, would say that OBP was the first SABR stat that started it all when it comes to being in the mainstream media and being used to calculate value for players. OBP basically calculates the players ability to reach base without the help of a fielding error, fielders choice, dropped third strikes, fielders obstruction, or catchers interference.

Read the rest here @ http://www.thegreedypinstripes.com/2...s-on-base.html

vCash
    I think OBP is pretty close to common knowledge by now. Even if someone doesn't know the formula itself, most everyone seems to know the point that it means how often someone gets on base and that it's very important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    I think OBP is pretty close to common knowledge by now. Even if someone doesn't know the formula itself, most everyone seems to know the point that it means how often someone gets on base and that it's very important.
    I think the author of the blog wanted to start off simple and well known as to not run anyone off.

I mean hell Clubhouse Confidential didnt do too well on MLB Network

vCash
    So is this guy going to create a new thread for every entry on his blog?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    So is this guy going to create a new thread for every entry on his blog?
    It's not my blog but why? Have you been to general discussions lately?