Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My best guess would be his playing time and his contract. I remember him saying last year how excited he was about his role in Musgraves new offense so hopefully he just wants to be on the field more. I'm sure he wants a new contract but I kind of think he would say that if it was. I get the feeling this is something personal that needs straightened out. Good thing for us is that we have him under contract for 2 more seasons so we have a good amount of time to straight things out with him and keep him around long term.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Michael Jenkins - WR - Vikings
    Vikings OC Bill Musgrave mentioned Michael Jenkins first when asked who will fill in at split end during Jerome Simpson's three-game suspension.
    Jenkins is projected to start at X receiver, with Percy Harvin at Z. In three-receiver sets, Harvin would move to the slot with someone like Devin Aromashodu or Stephen Burton playing outside, opposite Jenkins. When Simpson returns, look for Jenkins to be the third receiver. Harvin is the only Vikings wideout we'd roster in fantasy leagues, regardless of Simpson's availability.
    rotoworld

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Christian Ponder - QB - Vikings

Christian Ponder is up to 233 pounds after entering the offseason at 212.
    Ponder took a beating as a rookie, getting knocked out of consecutive games with concussion and hip injuries to finish the season. The major knock on Ponder coming out of Florida State was that he wouldn't hold up to the pounding in the NFL. The added bulk should give him a better chance.
    rotoworld

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Husain Abdullah - DB - Vikings
    Free agent S Husain Abdullah is reportedly walking away from the NFL to pursue religious obligations.
    According to ESPN 1500 Twin Cities, Abdullah turned down a contract extension last season in part because his Muslim beliefs prevented him drawing attention to himself. He told Vikings officials months ago that he was considering retirement after battling concussion issues the past couple of seasons. Abdullah finishes his four-year career with 95 tackles and four interceptions over 54 games.
    rotoworld

Good for him. I wish him nothing but the best in retirement. I was always a fan of him.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Abdullah brothers pause NFL careers for Ramadan
    Not many brothers make it to the NFL. Even fewer walk away from it together.

Hamza and Husain Abdullah have announced that they’ll be pausing their pro football careers to make a pilgrimage to Mecca during the 2012 NFL season, as part of their Islamic faith.

“It has been a blessing to play in the NFL for both Husain and I, but we would be remiss if we didn’t give thanks to the One who made it all possible,” Hamza said.

“I visited Makkah, Saudi Arabia in March and a strong sense of urgency overcame me to attend ‘Hajj’ in October,” Husain said. ”I love the game of football but, it would directly coincide with my pilgrimage. So, I’m taking some time off.”

Both Hamza and Husain are free agents. Husain, we’re told, had multiple offers for the coming season, including an offer to return to the Vikings.

Hamza, 28, appeared in 16 games last season for the Cardinals. Husain, 26, started nine games in 2011 and 15 in 2010 for the Vikings.

As part of their effort, they’ll have “Iftar,” which is the Ramadan fast-breaking meal, in a different U.S. mosque every night. They plan to speak about fasting and its impact on athletes, specifically focusing on the importance of hydration and nutrition during Ramadan. They also hope to “deconstruct” the negative connotations of Islam.

The Abdullah brother hope to return to the NFL during the regular season, following the completion of their pilgrimage, but they acknowledge their opportunities may be limited.

Here’s hoping someone gives one or both of them a chance to keep playing. With injuries being inevitable, a need for their services surely will arise.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-for-ramadan/

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Husain Abdullah - DB - Vikings

rotoworld

Good for him. I wish him nothing but the best in retirement. I was always a fan of him.
    He was never the most talented safety but he always busted his *** and gave 110%. He has very deep convictions to do what he is doing and leave that money on the table to go and take the opportunity to do something that he's always wanted, however I hope he understands that the team can't just sit back and wait for him. I have a feeling though that the Vikes brass knew about this and its why they drafted Blanton.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Christian Ponder hopes bigger equals better
    Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder got a left tackle in the draft, it looks like he will have his top wide receiver in camp and Adrian Peterson shouldn’t be far behind, which means the biggest thing left to work on is himself.

For Ponder, part of that process includes gaining weight. Ponder played at 212 pounds last season and he’s tipping the scales at 233 as minicamp comes to an end. He’d like to be right around 230 when training camp starts.

“I’ve gotten bigger. I’m stronger. I’ll try to keep my flexibility,” Ponder said. “There’s a lot of different things we can do flexibility-wise with the yoga. Just trying to keep my body in the right condition and getting stronger.”

Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com suggests the reason for the weight gain is to avoid a repeat of the beating Ponder took last season, although the Vikings surely hope Matt Kalil helps in that department as well. Ponder also needs to do a better job of recognizing defenses, something he said that he feels he’s improved at a lot over the course of the offseason work.

If that doesn’t work out for him, at least he’s better equipped to cushion the fall.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...equals-better/

I dunno how to feel about this. Its kind of smart but I can't help but wonder if this is going to slow him down a little when he starts scrambling outside the pocket.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Christian Ponder hopes bigger equals better

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...equals-better/

I dunno how to feel about this. Its kind of smart but I can't help but wonder if this is going to slow him down a little when he starts scrambling outside the pocket.
    I highly doubt that, the effect should be minimal at most. I'm more worried about it effecting his throwing motion and flexibility.
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    18 Tackles, 2 INTs, 45.7 Passer Rating

vCash
    Joe Webb - QB - Vikings

Coach Leslie Frazier clarified this week that Joe Webb will not push Christian Ponder for the starting job this summer.
    Frazier suggested the opposite immediately after the season when Webb flashed while filling in for an injured Ponder. "If something were to happen to Christian because of injury, we feel like we have a capable backup in Joe," Frazier said Thursday. "But there's no competition as to, 'Joe has to do this to beat out Christian.' Christian, it's his job."
    rotoworld

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Joe Webb - QB - Vikings
    Coach Leslie Frazier clarified this week that Joe Webb will not push Christian Ponder for the starting job this summer.
    Frazier suggested the opposite immediately after the season when Webb flashed while filling in for an injured Ponder. "If something were to happen to Christian because of injury, we feel like we have a capable backup in Joe," Frazier said Thursday. "But there's no competition as to, 'Joe has to do this to beat out Christian.' Christian, it's his job."
    rotoworld

I think this is being done for stability reasons. Ponder is the starter, period. It will kind of make things simpler because now they are both just going to go out there and play, Ponder won't be looking over his shoulder.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Everson Griffen - DL - Vikings
    Vikings coaches are looking for ways to get DE Everson Griffen on the field more in 2012.
    The athletic Griffen was used at linebacker in certain third-down situations last year, racking up 14 QB pressures in limited snaps. The Vikes will look to increase those looks this year. Jared Allen and Brian Robison are entrenched as the starters at defensive end.
    rotoworld

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Joe Webb is not competing with Christian Ponder
    Coach Leslie Frazier stated late last year that backup quarterback Joe Webb played so well in relief down the stretch that the Vikings would have to give him a “hard look” during the 2012 offseason, perhaps even as competition for 2011 first-round pick Christian Ponder.

While Webb has shed his old part-time receiver duties and practiced strictly at quarterback this spring, he’s not going to get the chance Frazier suggested he would.

“If something were to happen to Christian because of injury, we feel like we have a capable backup in Joe,” Frazier said, per FOX Sports North. “But there’s no competition as to ‘Joe has to do this to beat out Christian.’ Christian, it’s his job.”

Though Webb is strong armed, he’s been mostly a check-down passer in his spot appearances. He has shown playmaking ability on the ground, running for a 65-yard touchdown in Week Fourteen last year and accounting for three all-purpose scores in Week Sixteen.

Webb might not be a legitimate NFL starter, but he’s earned the promotion to be Ponder’s top backup. And considering Ponder’s injury history going back to Florida State, it’s a fair bet that Webb will play in games this year.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...istian-ponder/

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Vikings' Antoine Winfield: 'I'm 100 percent' healthy
    Vikings cornerback Antoine Winfield played in only five games last season, spending most of the time away the field mending a broken collarbone. There were other issues in the secondary, but it was far worse than it would have been if he'd played. When Winfield is healthy, he has been one of the league's top cornerbacks for more than a decade.

I talked to Winfield about his health and what he expects as a 14-year NFL veteran.

BS: You're not asking for a trade, too, are you?

AW: (Laughs.) Not at all. I think I'll be here.

BS: Are you 100 percent healthy or close to it?

AW: I'm 100 percent. I think I was cleared the end of March. The last couple of months I'm running around, getting into shape and getting ready for training camp.

BS: Are you knocking the rust off?

AW: That's why I'm out here at OTAs and minicamp -- to knock the rust off. I only played five games last year so it's always good to work on your technique.

BS: How about your body? Are you fresher after missing all those games?

AW: I think I am. Usually, I'm ending up with, like, 90 tackles. Last year, I only had about 30. I'm feeling pretty good. (He had 40 combined tackles in 2011, 91 in 2010 when he played a full 16-game schedule.)

BS: Do you expect your role to change?.

AW: We'll see. My goal is to play 16 games. I'm not sure if I'll be outside all 16. I'm sure I'll play (inside) in the nickel, too.

BS: A few years ago, you told me you would be open to moving to safety when you got older. It sounded like a good idea then. How about now?

AW: It did sound good. I've played cornerback for so many years, and moving to safety is a totally different technique. I'm usually coming from the side where I have angles to make tackles. Being a safety, I'm looking at that running back eye-to-eye. (Facing) a 225-pound, 235-pound running back, there'd be wear and tear. I don't think the body is ready for that.

BS: You're a smart player so with your brains you'd do great back there, but are you saying your body wouldn't like it?

AW: Probably at free safety, not at strong safety.

BS: Just tell the coaches you'll play free safety.

AW: I probably could play free safety, but I'm sure I'll be at the corner or the nickel.

BS: You haven't lost much speed. At free safety, you'd be plenty fast enough, wouldn't you?

AW: I could run a little bit ... not as fast as I was at 20 or 25. But I can move a little bit.

BS: If you were the nickel back, you'd be there on just about every passing down, right?

AW: If I just played strictly nickel ...

BS: Have they talked to you about playing strictly nickel?

AW: No, no. I'd be in and outside. I want to play the whole season. I probably won't play every snap outside. That's where you have to be running with (Detroit Lions wide receiver) Calvin Johnson and all the big receivers out there. I'm not really sure. We'll come up with a plan.

BS: Well, they'd want to have you out there on first down and running plays with the way you tackle.

AW: Right, right.

BS: So you'll be outside on running plays and inside in the nickel?

AW: I wish we knew if they were running or passing. (Laughs.) Sometimes, you have an idea, but I'll be in and out. Wherever the coaches need me, I'll be there.

BS: Do you get a lot of the younger defensive backs asking you for advice? You've sort of become the grizzled veteran.

AW: (Laughs). I am now. I think I'm the oldest player on the team now. Of course, young guys come and ask me after a play, "Which technique did I look good (on)." During film study, they sit by me and ask players, and I answer them.

BS: Does Christian Ponder look like a different quarterback than he did as a rookie?

AW: He looks good. He looks comfortable in the pocket and is making some really good throws. I'm looking for a big season out of him.

BS: As a defensive back, do you sometimes give advice to the quarterback about things he should be looking for?

AW: Not yet. It's still too early. During training camp, we'll tell him, "You're probably looking a little too long over here, letting me jump the routes."
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...ercent-healthy

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Next step for Vikings tackle Phil Loadholt: consistency
    Left tackle Matt Kalil garners plenty of interest as a rookie first-round pick, but the development of right tackle Phil Loadholt might be just as important to the Vikings' offense in 2012.

Minnesota is banking on Loadholt to maximize his enormous potential after three seasons of impressive play sometimes overshadowed by inconsistency.

Despite a penchant for false starts and the occasional struggle with quick defensive ends bending the edge on him, coach Leslie Frazier considers the mammoth 6-foot-8, 343-pound Loadholt "one of the top offensive tackles, right tackle in particular, when it comes to pass blocking."

He's stout in the run, too. Lots of upside here for a former second-round draft pick entering a contract year.

But after 47 career starts, Loadholt is well aware of what's holding him back.

"You have two or three drives where you look like a pretty damn good offensive tackle," Loadholt said. "Then you do something that you don't look like it. Not that I let up, but everybody in this league is so good, you take one bad technique and it can go the wrong way."

Loadholt is talking about footwork, bending at the knees, weight transfer as he slides in his stance. Sometimes Loadholt's height gets him in trouble if he doesn't get low enough.

Loadholt has worked to improve these things and hopes the work translates to a complete performance for 16 games -- "doing it down in and down out," as Frazier calls it.

It's not an effort problem with Loadholt. He goes hard in practices. The staff raves about his demeanor. He keeps himself in shape, looking noticeably trim in 2011 training camp after utilizing an offseason conditioning program at the University of Oklahoma, where he still trains when he's not in Minnesota. He's maintained that same physique from last summer.

He prides himself on being the aggressor on the field. That's the way he was taught, he says. The Vikings' offensive line coaches chart "finishing" plays -- putting defenders on the ground, getting downfield and clearing the pile -- and Loadholt always ranks near or at the top.

But he can also follow up momentum (a Week 13 performance against Denver that Pro Football Focus called the second-best of the year for a right tackle) with struggles the next week (giving up two sacks to Lions defensive end Cliff Avril in Week 14).

Frazier believes Loadholt can discover the consistency. He told him as much in a recent meeting.

"We need him to really be an anchor for us and to take on a leadership role for us," Frazier said. "If that's the case, our offensive line will take dramatic improvement."

Loadholt took the meeting to heart. After all, he admits he hates the feeling of letting teammates down, even for one play.

Though he feels he's progressed as a player each year, he knows it's not enough.

"It's something I'll be getting taken care of," Loadholt said. "I don't feel like it's been too bad, but bad enough."

More balance up front could aid Loadholt's growth. Kalil's arrival allows Charlie Johnson to switch from left tackle to left guard. John Sullivan played his way into a five-year extension last year, and three players -- Brandon Fusco, Geoff Schwartz and Joe Berger -- are capable right guards vying for a spot.

Quarterback Christian Ponder should be upright more often, or at least that's the expectation.

"It's all stacking up," Loadholt said. "It's on us to put it all together."

That includes Loadholt wanting to do "everything I can" to impose his will on defensive linemen.

"If I have a good year, then we have a good year," Loadholt said. "I think everybody looks at it like that."
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci...lt-consistency

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Sid Hartman: Fusco might start on Vikings offensive line
    The 2011 sixth-round draft choice from little-heralded Slippery Rock brings skills and a fierce competitive spirit.
    Football fans might ridicule a player whose college is listed as Slippery Rock, but the Vikings could have a starting guard from that Division II school this season in Brandon Fusco.

Fusco lettered in just two seasons of high school football and wasn't offered any Division I scholarships. But Slippery Rock has a great history of developing offensive linemen, having produced five consecutive D-II All-Americans at center, with Fusco the fifth. He also was named the Gene Upshaw Division II Lineman of the Year his senior season.

Fusco said the Slippery Rock campus in Pennsylvania was a half-hour from his home, and when the coaches visited him there, it felt like the right move.

"The coaches came to my house and it felt like they were family," Fusco said.

His relative lack of size and experience at the time limited the scope of schools looking to offer him a scholarship.

"I think the biggest look I had was Youngstown State and Morehead State, two Division I-AA schools, but those were both walk-on jobs," Fusco said.

According to offensive line statistics released by the Vikings after draft night in 2011, over the course of his career at Slippery Rock, Fusco notched 332 knockdowns along with 42 touchdown-resulting blocks and 28 blocks down field.

Making an impression
    Fusco was the first player from Slippery Rock to be invited to the Senior Bowl and he was invited to the NFL scouting combine. He ran the fourth-fastest 20-yard shuttle for offensive lineman at 4.43 seconds, and he was third in the three-cone drill at 7.29 seconds. The Vikings selected him early in the sixth round, 172nd overall.

There are currently two other Slippery Rock players in the NFL, cornerback Andre Freeman of the Steelers and receiver Devin Goda of the Ravens, both rookie free agents this season. Fusco remains only the fifth player drafted out of Slippery Rock, and the highest selection in school history.

Fusco admits he was surprised, but not shocked, when the Vikings drafted him.

"I was a good player at my college," he said. "I mean, it was obviously a good goal of mine and I thought I was a draftable player. I wasn't shocked. I know my game and I was confident. You know, there's some good players in Division II -- but not as good as Big Ten schools, but still, good competition. I obviously dominated to get here but I've seen some good players."

The lack of offers from bigger schools didn't hurt Fusco.

"I had a great offensive line coach [Joe Walton] at Slippery Rock. I wouldn't regret anything, I enjoyed my four years there. I don't regret it at all going to Slippery Rock," he said.

Fusco got in four games last year, but he said he was nervous the first time he entered a pro game.

"I was shaking when I saw Anthony [Herrera] go out. I believe my first game was the Packers. [I] came in, and like I said, I had butterflies that first play. I think I remember it was an outside zone to the left and I had to reach [linebacker] A.J. Hawk on the second level and I got him pretty good. I was feeling good after that."

It was a huge adjustment from Division II to the NFL.

"Oh it was a lot different, a lot faster, quicker, stronger guys. It took me a good half-a-year to get used to it, and I feel right now that I'm very confident and everything is slowing down for me," Fusco said.

Fusco has a confidence about him that the Vikings coaches like.

"I can't say I'm an experienced veteran, but I've got some games under my belt. I've improved a lot. I had a very good offseason lifting-wise, a good trainer back in Pittsburgh," he said. "These guys [at Winter Park], I came up here a couple weeks early, and these guys are working just as hard as back home. I'm excited about this year and had a really good offseason. I feel in real good shape, probably the best shape I've ever been in."

Fusco wants to keep playing for a long time and then perhaps coach, but he majored in health and safety management at college.

"I love the game, so I want to stick around as much as I can," he said. "I plan on coaching and if not use my major, become a safety manager for a company or something along those lines."

The fans might laugh when they announce a player from Slippery Rock at the draft, but ask the coaches, and they will tell you that Fusco can play.
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vi...159961005.html

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast