Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft thread

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Honestly, I don't like the idea of trading down. We need quality prospects in this organization which we clearly lack. Unless we get an offer that blows us away I'll gladly take one of Grigorenko,Galchenyuk, or Murray. I haven't seen enough of Forsberg to know what he really is. I know this isn't the greatest draft but I'll gladly take any of those 3 in our system. Galchenyuk seems like such an ideal fit here and I really believe that if he wasn't injured all year he'd be a lock to go second overall. I think it's foolish to dismiss this draft.
    Those 3 players will mkore than likely be gone by the time the Leafs pick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    If they're all taken, by the time we draft - then take Forsburg. Forsburg is this years version of Gabriel landeskog.
    I read, during mid-season this year Columbus was thinking about drafting Forsburg with the 1st pick, instead of NAil yakopov, due to their bad luck with Russians. Edmonton (if they keep the pick) picks yakopov. Columbus - Forsburg, Montreal - Grigs, NEw York - dumba or Murray then Toronto has Gal fall into their laps. Columbus and Montreal may jump on gal, but that leaves us with Grigs or Forsburg. Id be ecstatic with either.
    Last edited by Gup; 05-05-2012 at 07:54 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Honestly, I don't like the idea of trading down. We need quality prospects in this organization which we clearly lack. Unless we get an offer that blows us away I'll gladly take one of Grigorenko,Galchenyuk, or Murray. I haven't seen enough of Forsberg to know what he really is. I know this isn't the greatest draft but I'll gladly take any of those 3 in our system. Galchenyuk seems like such an ideal fit here and I really believe that if he wasn't injured all year he'd be a lock to go second overall. I think it's foolish to dismiss this draft.
    But what if the top 4 are Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Murray and you have Forsberg and Dumba sitting there...

Dumba definitely doesn't fit, he's a lot like PK Subban or even Dion in a way, we can't really afford to have 2 reckless-ish defencemen on the roster who aren't particularly great puck movers. Forsberg I just flat out don't like but Burke probably does since he's like a "power forward".

I think there are too many question marks to use a top 5 pick for me. Forsberg is a question mark cause we don't know him that well, Dumba doesn't fit and is somewhat boom or bust, Galchenyuk has the knee issue (which should be cleared up), it seems people just don't think Murray is as good as they originally thought, and Grigs seems to be dropping like a rock with Russian question marks...

vCash
    I don't like the idea of trading down either. I don't see how that benefits the Leafs at all to be honest. The draft already is not a deep one, and teams know that. Toronto would be stupid to trade down for someone else I think.

The way I see it, Gally could very well be at the 5 spot, but if he isn't it also wouldn't be a shock. Montreal and Columbus are the two that could snag him up.

Don't forget another team could trade with the Islanders let's say and grab him at the 4 spot. I think he's the guy to go after, and if he's there at 5 Leafs need to draft him.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    But what if the top 4 are Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Murray and you have Forsberg and Dumba sitting there...

Dumba definitely doesn't fit, he's a lot like PK Subban or even Dion in a way, we can't really afford to have 2 reckless-ish defencemen on the roster who aren't particularly great puck movers. Forsberg I just flat out don't like but Burke probably does since he's like a "power forward".

I think there are too many question marks to use a top 5 pick for me. Forsberg is a question mark cause we don't know him that well, Dumba doesn't fit and is somewhat boom or bust, Galchenyuk has the knee issue (which should be cleared up), it seems people just don't think Murray is as good as they originally thought, and Grigs seems to be dropping like a rock with Russian question marks...
    I agree with you. It could end up that way, but what player outside of the top 5 is an impact guy? No one and half of them are d men...

I honestly believe the Leafs end up with either Grigs or Gally.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    I think Grig played alot of the year with mono or something along those lines which could equate to a lack of effort in some games. If you can't stay in top shape all year it's pretty hard to give it your all every shift. I really don't like trading down at all. There's going to be a pretty damn good prospect avaliable at #5 no matter who sits there. That prospect pretty well jumps to the top of our prospect list because we lack high upside or elite prospects. Keep flooding the pool. The player we take at five in all likely hood doesn't make our team this season coming up or probably even the next one. By that time I doubt anyone of us knows what our roster looks like and there's probably a good place for that high upside kid at that time. Keep the pick or trade up is my modo. Take the best player you can regardless of position. Keep trying to flood the prospect pool with the best prospects you can like a #5 pick.

Instead of trading down I'd like to see Burke maybe aquire a low first round pick somehow without using our #5 in the deal and then take the goalie prospect avaliable. Now that'd be a HUGE win of a draft for us.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 05-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.

vCash
    Forsberg is gonna go 2. Despite what I just said, Forsberg is gonna go 2. He climbed up to 2nd in the ISS rankings and I think the CSS ones too and he has no Russian in him making him even more attractive to Columbus. 2nd pick will be Forsberg.

I know you said that Howson was at a bunch of Sting games but he was definitely still watching Yakupov. He was certainly also watching Gally but he wasn't considering taking Gally first and I can bet you any money he's watched Grigs, Murray, and Forsberg plenty lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    I agree with you. It could end up that way, but what player outside of the top 5 is an impact guy? No one and half of them are d men...

I honestly believe the Leafs end up with either Grigs or Gally.
    There aren't any impact forwards after the first 4 guys. Teravainen has climbed into the top 10 from like outside the first round. And he's a very gifted playmaker who would be a phenomenal fit with Kessel with his speed and passing ability. Faksa is a lot like Antropov. Gaunce is like a bigger Stajan somewhat.

There are boom or bust impact guys and there are safe guys. Gaunce, Faksa, and Girgensons are safe picks, Teravainen, Collberg, and Aberg are more risky picks.

At the same time, there is no real reason we can't take a dman, especially with how poor Schenn and Franson looked this season. Liles is older, Komisarek is a bum, and the other guys are question marks still.

10. 05-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Users Awaiting Moderation

Reason
    trolling

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Forsberg is gonna go 2. Despite what I just said, Forsberg is gonna go 2. He climbed up to 2nd in the ISS rankings and I think the CSS ones too and he has no Russian in him making him even more attractive to Columbus. 2nd pick will be Forsberg.

I know you said that Howson was at a bunch of Sting games but he was definitely still watching Yakupov. He was certainly also watching Gally but he wasn't considering taking Gally first and I can bet you any money he's watched Grigs, Murray, and Forsberg plenty lately.
    If you are right about Forsberg that could be the break the Leafs need if the Isles take a d-man. One of Grigs or Gally would be available. I'm sticking by my original opinion that Gally goes second to Columbus. No way he is available when the Leafs pick at 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    I don't like the idea of trading down either. I don't see how that benefits the Leafs at all to be honest. The draft already is not a deep one, and teams know that. Toronto would be stupid to trade down for someone else I think.

The way I see it, Gally could very well be at the 5 spot, but if he isn't it also wouldn't be a shock. Montreal and Columbus are the two that could snag him up.

Don't forget another team could trade with the Islanders let's say and grab him at the 4 spot. I think he's the guy to go after, and if he's there at 5 Leafs need to draft him.
    i'd be suprised if Galchenyuk made it past the Canadiens at #3.

I hate trading up in drafts, especially when its only a 1 or 2 spot jump, because we always have to overpay but Galchenyuk's stock keeps rising and like lavy said i could see him going #1. EDM needs a #1 centremen, as does MTL, and CBJ, and so do we. i think Galchenyuk will be a top 2 pick.

Back to my point about trading up, if burke can find a dance partner (most likely CBJ imo) i regretfully say do it. Gally is being compared to Marian Hossa but at centre, thats a very nice comparison.

Galchenyuk, Faksa, Grigorenko, at least 1 of these centremen will be available when we pick and i'd be happy with anyone.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    You guys think SJS will bite on a Lupul, Schenn/ Liles (depending on whether they want youth or experience), and MacArthur for Clowe, 19th overall pick, and Martin Havlat?

Thorton and Marleau both have NMC and i still doubt they get moved. We take on a bad contract in Havlat but this move still gives us more space (~$10m would be our cap space) and we aquire Clowe, whom burke is rumoured to be high on. We also get another 1st rounder.

vCash
    I really like Olli Maata. he is projected to go around 20 (iss).

If we could keep our 5th pick (Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Faksa) and draft Maata that would be a very good draft for us.

IMO Maata could be really good. Maybe a steal in the draft. Maata's a guy that doesn't go for the big hit, but he annoys the puck carriers because he is on them like white on rice. Just about every scout says he doesn't have any glaring defeciences and has the potential to be a plus offensive force. He does rush the okay a bit in the offensive end, but defensively his is very sound. He is projected to go #20 because of two reasons, 1) he suffered a concussion at the WJC and 2) this is his first year in the north american game. IIRC he was around the 12 spot in the summer. Might be a good pick up if burke could get another top-20 pick or trade down.

EDIT: he has 5 goals and 27 assists, and is a plus-25. He leads his team in TOI and has 19 points (5g 14a) in 15 playoff games. Not "truculent" as he only has 25 PIMs in the reg.season and 2 in the playoffs.
    I think he could be a good one. Also he's Finnish, if that maaters to anyone. lol

Craig Button doesn't even have him in his top 60, which i think is a fail on him. I dont even think TSN has him on their list.
    Last edited by OptiMized; 05-05-2012 at 01:49 PM.

vCash
    If you are right about Forsberg that could be the break the Leafs need if the Isles take a d-man. One of Grigs or Gally would be available. I'm sticking by my original opinion that Gally goes second to Columbus. No way he is available when the Leafs pick at 5.
    While I agree with you, I think that that's more likely to happen at the 3rd pick than the 2nd pick. Someone else said that Columbus needs a center but that's actually the opposite of true. They took Ryan Johansen 2 years ago and they already have Brassard and even Umberger and Prospal who play a little center, and that's after having dealt Carter and Vermette at the deadline. They actually needed Yakupov to pair with Johansen, they'll settle for Forsberg IMO. Montreal could very easily go with Galchenyuk though. If they don't hire Patrick Roy as their coach, I don't see them taking Grigorenko, and even then I'm not sure I see it. People have been saying big center there but Galchenyuk is 6'2" as well IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Galchenyuk, Faksa, Grigorenko, at least 1 of these centremen will be available when we pick and i'd be happy with anyone.
    Faksa doesn't really belong in that group, I'd be really surprised if Faksa was a top 10 pick. If we took him 5th over I'm assuming Forsberg or Murray, I'd be pretty upset.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    You guys think SJS will bite on a Lupul, Schenn/ Liles (depending on whether they want youth or experience), and MacArthur for Clowe, 19th overall pick, and Martin Havlat?

Thorton and Marleau both have NMC and i still doubt they get moved. We take on a bad contract in Havlat but this move still gives us more space (~$10m would be our cap space) and we aquire Clowe, whom burke is rumoured to be high on. We also get another 1st rounder.
    I don't think that's a good trade for us. I'd probably take Lupul over Clowe to be honest and Havlat is, like you said, a bad contract. Your giving up one of your best trade pieces in Schenn with arguably a 1st line winger and a definite 2nd line winger to get a 2nd line winger in Clowe, a late 1st in a weak draft, and an injury prone, headcase, bad contract who is either a 1st liner or a healthy scratch. I think we would lose that trade, especially with Schenn in it.

Also, Liles isn't going anywhere. Burke gave him a terrible extension, he'll be here for at least a year.

vCash
    ^ i think lupul will regress significantly next year. And the fact he got injured right after Carlyle came in (2-3 weeks IIRC) must be some curse he has. lol

I like Clowes game, and i like the idea of getting another 1st rounder too. Havlat is a bad contract but including him in this deal gives burke $10M to try and lure (and be un-successful) in getting Parise or Suter (rather this guy), and if not i hope he goes after guys like Prust or Moen (carlyle likes him) or even Gaustad.

Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast