Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft thread

vCash

Draft thread

For those who aren't aware, the Leafs are drafting fifth overall. Thought we might as well discuss the draft as it's going to be a while before the playoffs are over. It's going to be slow around here and the draft in less than 2 months away. The order goes as follows:

1.Edmonton
    2.Columbus
    3.Montreal
    4.NYI
    5.Toronto

Mock drafts-

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1305

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...tars-will-land

Yakupov is without question going first overall but after that it's wide open. Who should we take assuming that player will be available? is Galchenyuk the best fit?
    Last edited by Halladay; 05-05-2012 at 05:51 AM.

vCash
    Talent-wise, i'd be happy with Glachenyul and Grigorenko.

I've liked Faksa and Forsberg for a few months now, but i doubt burke wants to draft them.

Yakupov
    Galchenyuk
    Forsberg
    Murray
    Grigorenko

Thats how i see the top 5 going. Grigorenko can really go anywhere but #1, so depending on his slot selection the whole draft could change.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    I can see him drafting Alex Galchenyuk if he slips to 5(which he probably will due to his injury) Also Burke loves American players and Galchenyuk is American.
    **** SIGS

vCash
    Well it's really anyone's guess. While the mocks are good to read, it's definitely not a sure fire order this season.

The only lock I think is Yakupov at 1, although at first I didn't believe that to be the case. But more and more I read about Edm, the more I believe they would be dumb not to take the best player on the board although they do need a d-man.

So, with Yakupov going at 1, I would say assuming no trades are made, it would go like this.

2. Grigorenko, simply because of his skill set. Columbus needs some fire power especially if Nash is dealt. Still risky though because of the bad luck they have had with Russians.

3. Filip Forsberg, Montreal is high on this kid and they should be. If Columbus doesn't grab him, they should. They have been scouting him hard according to Mckenzie and he'd fit well there. They need size.

4. Ryan Murray, perfect pick for the Islanders. They need D and this guy fits the bill. While I wouldn't be surprised if they took Matt Dumba, I think based on mock's Murray is ahead. This would be a good pick for them.

5. Alex Galchenyuk, could be a steal for Toronto. He's still rated high even missing time with an injury. He's a skilled player, one the Leafs need in their prospect pool. I would be pleased with this pick, not thrilled and jumping out of my seat but pleased.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    I think there will be some surprises with the picks. Heck Columbus could take Forsberg or Galchenyuk, and that leaves Toronto with Grigorenko.

Grigs and Gally are two I would want Toronto to go after. Forsberg I think though may be the best player in the top 4 besides Yakupov. I just have a feeling he's gonna be solid.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    As long as one team in the top 4 takes a defensemen ill be happy. That means well have a forward in our laps

If we get Gal is he a plug and play guy next year?? Like can we stick him with Kessel and he'll produce at a high level or will he need a while to develope??

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    I think Galchenyuk goes 2nd to Columbus...Howson was at a lot of Sting games and practices at the end of the OHL season and he knows what Galchenyuk is all about. Grigorenko will end up in Montreal and the Isles take Murray. Then the talent dips at the Leafs pick

vCash
    Also, i fully expect the CBJ to have the first 2 selections in this draft. I have a feeling that Howson and Tambellini are going to get a deal done.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I think Galchenyuk goes 2nd to Columbus...Howson was at a lot of Sting games and practices at the end of the OHL season and he knows what Galchenyuk is all about. Grigorenko will end up in Montreal and the Isles take Murray. Then the talent dips at the Leafs pick

I agree. Either way I think it's Grigs, Yakupov, Galchenyuk going in the top 3.

Leaves us with one of Dumba, Murray, Forsberg. Can't fault Burkie if he takes a D with the pick, not really much top end forward talent after the 3 listed above.
    dont have a seizure cwick

vCash
    To be quite honest, I think I'd trade down and get a couple of extra picks, or a pick, a key player and the other teams spot in the top 12. Maybe it's just me, but looking at what's happening with Russians in the NHL today(Radulov mostly), and the maturity level of the Russian junior teams the last couple of years and what is likely left at 5... I don't think your neccesarily bringing in the type of character you'd want on this young team. As far as Galy goes, I just don't like the whole knee injury thing. Love the player, hate the severity of the injury that early in his career. Missing nearly a full season is a concern to me, as well as Sarnia bowing out of the OHL playoffs with 2 top 5 picks (each in their second year) in their line-up, as well as some other pretty highly touted prospects (Ryan Spooner, Connor Murphy) . I'd be happy with Faksa (homer pick-but he's a great player with a great work ethic and a real physical game at a young age), Ceci, Gaunce, or even Olli Maatta.
    Last edited by DrJamesNaismith; 05-04-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    ^ I wouldn't worry too much about Gally's knee. I saw him pushing truck tires on the ice at practice yesterday like they were pucks. Knee injuries are not as serious as they were in the 70's and 80's. Sarnia did get knocked out early, but Yakki was playing hurt and Gally just came back after missing the entire season. They ran into a hot goalie from Saginaw and couldn't control Saad. I wouldn't be surprised if Gally goes 1st overall in this draft. His work ethic is unreal and his potential to be a premier player is there for sure. I'd take him over Yakki after wathing the 2 of them in the OHL the past 2 seasons.

vCash
    If Galcheyuk falls into our laps at 5, I will be ecstatic. I literally want Galchenyuk more then Yakupov, Grigorenko, or any other player in this draft.

vCash
    I'm starting to think they should trade down too...Washington has 11 and 23 (I think if my math is correct), that could be an interesting thing to move into if they are interested in moving up to 5. They could really use Murray or Dumba if they fall to 5. With 11 and 23 we could end up grabbing Faksa/Gaunce/Ceci and Vasilevski/Subban with the 2 picks. Would be a really big victory IMO.

I'm just so depressed with this draft cause its so brutal. If 1 of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, or Yakupov isn't there at 5 and really, realistically, if Galchenyuk isn't there at 5, its practically a waste. I mean Murray would be a great pickup and a huge addition, probably eventually as our number 1 dman, but he just isn't really what we need at this point...it sucks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I'm starting to think they should trade down too...Washington has 11 and 23 (I think if my math is correct), that could be an interesting thing to move into if they are interested in moving up to 5. They could really use Murray or Dumba if they fall to 5. With 11 and 23 we could end up grabbing Faksa/Gaunce/Ceci and Vasilevski/Subban with the 2 picks. Would be a really big victory IMO.

I'm just so depressed with this draft cause its so brutal. If 1 of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, or Yakupov isn't there at 5 and really, realistically, if Galchenyuk isn't there at 5, its practically a waste. I mean Murray would be a great pickup and a huge addition, probably eventually as our number 1 dman, but he just isn't really what we need at this point...it sucks...
    That'd be pretty sweet, then with our second take a guy like Tom Wilson or Marty Frk.

If we came away with Gaunce, Subban and Frk, that'd be one hell of a draft imo.
    dont have a seizure cwick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post

Honestly, I don't like the idea of trading down. We need quality prospects in this organization which we clearly lack. Unless we get an offer that blows us away I'll gladly take one of Grigorenko,Galchenyuk, or Murray. I haven't seen enough of Forsberg to know what he really is. I know this isn't the greatest draft but I'll gladly take any of those 3 in our system. Galchenyuk seems like such an ideal fit here and I really believe that if he wasn't injured all year he'd be a lock to go second overall. I think it's foolish to dismiss this draft.

Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast