Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Mark Sanchez, I think he's going to play to his potential this year, we've faith.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    Alex Smith
    And what would you call last season for Smith??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    And what would you call last season for Smith??
    A preview. A Baby Step. A Prologue. Any of those work lol
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 49-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 8-4 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Dark Horse and relative unknown on the Raiders, DAVID AUSBERRY. Ausberry will be the starting TE in Gregg Knapp's west coast offense. He's a really big kid, with good hands, out of USC. Just a hunch...
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

vCash
    From my team (Bears): S Chris Conte- Danieal Manning was playing at an elite level when we let him walk. If Conte can stay healthy I think he can be as good as Manning was.

Other teams: RB Taiwan Jones for the Raiders. I don't wish injury on anyone but history says Jones will get his chance to be the lead back at some point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    A preview. A Baby Step. A Prologue. Any of those work lol
    He's been in the NFL for like 8 years lol I'd say this is about as good as it gets for Alex Smith...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglesbaby4lyfe View Post
    ugh Shane Lechler much??
    Not sure what you're insinuating with that comment. What I meant for Anger was that he'll be in that 4-7 range in terms of ranking punters (Avg), Lechler is a top 3 punter, no way am I putting a rookie in that category.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beltrans Mole View Post
    He's been in the NFL for like 8 years lol I'd say this is about as good as it gets for Alex Smith...
    Thats what everyone said before last year!
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 49-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 8-4 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slvr&blck760 View Post
    Dark Horse and relative unknown on the Raiders, DAVID AUSBERRY. Ausberry will be the starting TE in Gregg Knapp's west coast offense. He's a really big kid, with good hands, out of USC. Just a hunch...
    I actually played against that guy when he was still at Lemoore. He was lazy without the ball but once he had it in his hands, it was like trying to tackle a freight train for me (keep in mind he was already 6'3" and 220-ish pounds at the time vs me who was a 5'8" and 145 pound DB).

As for the break out player of next year, I would have to honestly go with Alex Smith because of a few reasons:

1. Improved offensive line play since everything, including protection schemes, should now be installed and improved. The unit should also gel together much faster than they did last year. I expect them to allow at least 25% fewer hits as a real estimate.

2. Improved play from Vernon Davis, as we saw in the post-season. There is a reason why he didn't really break out until then, he was struggling with the playbook early on because of its complexity for the TE position.

3. Vastly better WR weapons: Randy Moss, Mario Manninham, and rookie AJ Jenkins are significant upgrades over Brett Swain, Ted Ginn, Braylon Edwards, and Joe Hastings. Heck, you can argue that they are upgrades over Crabtree. With an off-season to gel with these guys, Alex Smith should have better stats with these better WRs who can actually get open. I also doubt that they will screw up routes as often as Crabtree did last year.

4. This will be Alex Smith's second season in the same offense; this is probably the biggest reason why he will break out in 2011. It's well documented that Alex Smith is a very cerebral player who needs to be fully immersed in the offense before he can cut it loose. This is the first time in his entire career that he will not have to start from scratch and learn a new offensive scheme.

5. Greg Roman and the rest of the coaching staff now has a feel for NFL play calling and a better idea of how to exploit rules and have also gained more familiarity with NFL defenses. This will lead to improved play calling.

My modest prediction for Smith:

4000+ yards, 31 TDs, 9 INTs

Not as high on the TDs cause I feel like Harbaugh will still want to keep it on the ground when it comes to the goal line plays. This is not a knock on Alex as Harbaugh did this at Stanford with Luck as his starting qb.
    Last edited by legendary49ers; 05-03-2012 at 05:24 AM.

"It was my fault, I shook your hand too hard."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by legendary49ers View Post

My modest prediction for Smith:

4000+ yards, 31 TDs, 9 INTs

Not as high on the TDs cause I feel like Harbaugh will still want to keep it on the ground when it comes to the goal line plays. This is not a knock on Alex as Harbaugh did this at Stanford with Luck as his starting qb.
    Modest?

lol, that's like top 5 QB numbers.

If next season Alex Smith puts up 4000+ yards and throws more than 30 TDs and keeps his interceptions under 10 i'll willingly blow my house up with dynamite.
    Last edited by FortDetroit; 05-03-2012 at 05:59 AM.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Terrell Suggs... but seriously, I think Kevin Kolb will have a much better year than last year now being healthy and having an offseason to get some chemistry with Fitz, plus they just added Floyd and will be getting Wilson back

Reload #BTFD

vCash
    looks like i have to hope to god it's paul kruger or coutrney upsahw
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Modest?

lol, that's like top 5 QB numbers.

If next season Alex Smith puts up 4000+ yards and throws more than 30 TDs and keeps his interceptions under 10 i'll willingly blow my house up with dynamite.
    Barring injury, he will go over 4000 yards. Your house will probably be safe with that td/int ratio though. I think he will go over twenty tds, but hit double digit picks. Ints tend to go up with the more chances you take. He will improve though, as much as you doubt it.

Leave the sig up though for the season. It worked well when someone else was mocking Alex Smith last year. And the guy that sig quoted a niner fan about predicting twelve wins. That was funny
    Last edited by OREcoast49er; 05-03-2012 at 01:14 PM.

vCash
    I can only name players on my team since the whole point of a breakout player is that nobody knew of him before.

Maurkice Pouncey

"But wait!" you say. "I have heard of him before! Hasn't Pouncey already been voted to the Pro Bowl twice in two years and second team All-Pro his rookie year and first team his second year?"

Yes he has, I respond. However, he didn't earn any of those awards. This should be the year he finally plays to that level. He finally has a competent guard next to him for the first time in his career. He has a competent offensive coordinator that doesn't put the entire o-line in bad situations with his predictable play calling. And he's another year older and more experienced.

Isaac Redman

Despite Mendenhall being more talented and the better running back, Redman was a better fit in a Bruce Arians offense. Todd Haley can find what works and get the most of it. Redman shouldn't see a dropoff in the change of offensive coordinators, and with the previously mentioned development of his center, and having a generally decent offensive line for once, Redman should easily eclipse 1,000 yards. Not saying much since that's like 60-something yards a game, but still. He's good.

I want to say Keenan Lewis and Stevenson Sylvester, but I don't know how they'll respond to their increased workloads. And Ziggy Hood has already broken out, it's just that no one will ever know what with him being a 3-4 end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AWC713 View Post
    i think this is the year people take notice of the Texans D. most casual fans can't name the players that make up this tenacious D, but they now have 5 prime-time games.

Cushing should definitely "bust out" on the scene. The guy is scary good. Ed Wade called him one of the best linebackers in the game.

Even though he's immensly talenented, people will always say, "yeah, but he took roids".

regardless, he's not on roids now and will take the league by storm next year. just wait.
    The only LB in the NFL I would even consider taking over Brian Cushing right now is Patrick Willis and I am not sure I would even do that. Cushing is an animal on the field, elite in every aspect of being a linebacker, and among the most intense players in the NFL. Anyone who headbutts an offensive lineman during a game WITHOUT a helmet qualifies for the highest level of bad *** in my book
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast