Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Flyers Radio Moves to 97.5 FM

I'm not sure what this is about, but rumors are starting to swirl on twitter that Chris Pronger will announce his retirement.

NOTHING IS CERTAIN. Please don't take this as a sure-fire thing. Only info out there is that the Flyers will have an announcement about something at 5pm today.

Stay tuned everyone.

Here's what I've seen on twitter (in order of occurrence):

Travis Hughes ‏ @BroadStHockey
    RT @Ike_Richman: #Flyers to make an announcement this afternoon at 5 p.m. Stay tuned

Kyle Scott ‏ @CrossingBroad
    LET'S SPECULATE!!!!! “@Ike_Richman: #Flyers to make an announcement this afternoon at 5 p.m. Stay tuned.”

Kyle Scott ‏ @CrossingBroad
    re: Flyers announcement… considering that it came from Ike Richman (Comcast Spectacor PR), not Flyers, doubt it's anything player-related

Flyers Rumors ‏ @FlyersRumors
    A lot of speculation that Chris Pronger will announce his retirement at 5PM today
    Last edited by phillyeaglesman; 04-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.

vCash
    i really don't think it will be about Prongs retiring. if he retires, his salary will count against the cap. i just don't think the Flyers will let that happen.

vCash
    not sure how Seravalli of all people knows this, but....

Frank Seravalli ‏ @DNFlyers
    For those tweeting and asking about the Flyers' "major" announcement at 5pm... relax. It's not anything I'd call "major."
    to back up Seravalli

The Philly Phans ‏ @ThePhillyPhans
    Flyers will make an announcement at 5:00. It is not expected to be a major announcement.

vCash
    I hope it's not Pronger retiring. I can't imagine the Flyers would let that happen, and I don't think that Pronger would do that to the organization.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that they are putting Pronger's C on Giroux.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    Sarah Baicker ‏ @sbaickerCSN
    Seriously, guys, chances are the announcement has to do with some sort of TV/radio/promotional thing. So let's all calm down, shall we?

looks like it's probably not a big deal.

if it's not, i apologize in advance for seemingly making a somewhat big deal out of nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crzyhawk View Post
    I hope it's not Pronger retiring. I can't imagine the Flyers would let that happen, and I don't think that Pronger would do that to the organization.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that they are putting Pronger's C on Giroux.
    isn't that kinda weird, though, to do something like that, and in the middle of a playoff series no less?

vCash
    I dunno, honestly. It's a strange situation, but with the way G has elevated his game recently, I wouldn't be surprised by it.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    ok i apologize. this was dumb.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/04...e-fanatic.html

According to source, Flyers are set to announce they are moving their radio to 97.5.

vCash
    No way I see Giroux getting the C this postseason. It's completely unnecessary and Lavy has already said that much. If he's already playing (and talking) like a captain, what good could giving him the C do?

If you do that, you only run the risk of putting negative pressure on Giroux while slapping Pronger in the face. The fact that this team doesn't have an official Captain is perfect, to me, because it's one of the deepest Flyers teams (with the best character) I've ever seen.

Like everyone else has said, it's probably not Prong retiring, because of the cap issues and the fact that it's still too early for him to call it quits (unless his health has gotten even worse, which I hope is not the case for reasons beyond hockey).

I would love to hear a Ponger related announcement about him joining the television broadcast for the remainder of the games that are CSN, but he's probably not in good enough condition to do that.
    [IMG]http://********.com/image.php?u=80452&type=sigpic&dateline=1310177540[/IMG]
    Remember

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    ok i apologize. this was dumb.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/04...e-fanatic.html

According to source, Flyers are set to announce they are moving their radio to 97.5.

No big deal.

Sucks for fans that aren't close to Philly, though. I thought the point of broadcasting news and sports on AM was that the AM waves traveled farther.
    [IMG]http://********.com/image.php?u=80452&type=sigpic&dateline=1310177540[/IMG]
    Remember

vCash
    The Flyers should move to another station. I've turned on WIP while driving home from playoff games only to hear the WIP hosts talking about the Phillies. The Phillies in April? Give me a break. After the Flyers beat the Penguins in the fight filled game three WIP had Ricky Ricardo on talking about the mediocre Phillies. That's not right.

vCash
    Well until that 97.5 bombshell (yawn) dropped I was going to guess it was to announce an extension for Lavy... oh well

vCash
    In line with this news....this is pretty big in terms of radio. 97.5 just took The Sixers from WIP last week as well. WIP is dying slowly.

vCash
    WIP did it to themselves.. as much as I love the Phillies, they screwed themselves when they decided April games were the better choice for an FM broadcast over Flyers playoff hockey when they are playing as great as they are. Just a stupid decision and I'm sure someone will get the can at WIP considering they lost the Sixers as well

vCash
    i laughed when I saw people speculating it was a Pronger retirement. You gotta be kidding me, like Homer would ever even consider that. Way too many people on twitter actually thought there was a chance.

I loved the Sam Carchidi speculation that the Flyers were trading Steve Coates and a case of beer for Doc Emrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast