Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Browns coach Pat Shurmur indicated that 2011 fourth-round TE Jordan Cameron is a candidate for a big leap in his second season.
    Cameron, a college basketball player, managed just six catches in eight rookie appearances. "The guy that looks way different is Jordan Cameron," Shurmur said. "Oh, gosh -- the size -- and he’s had a great offseason. He’s a guy that hadn’t played much football, so I think he’ll make a big improvement this year."
    http://rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

Sorry to see you go Wiggy. Should have went to FSU.

vCash
    Browns GM Tom Heckert reiterated that the organization views rookie Brandon Weeden as its starting quarterback in 2012.
    "The best guy’s gonna play, but we fully expect Brandon to be that guy," Heckert said. "... Right now that’s our goal is to have [Weeden] be the guy." Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace are considered expendable backups at this point. Heckert said learning Pat Shurmur's West Coast offense has been "nothing" for Weeden.
    Thats good to hear about the offense being easy so far for Weeden. Hopefully reading defenses and handling pressure will come easy too. Kid seems very smart, or check that not a kid the old man seems smart.

The Browns are not interested in re-signing free agent OG Eric Steinbach.
    They're moving forward with Jason Pinkston at left guard. "Never say never, but right now I think we're okay," remarked GM Tom Heckert. Steinbach, 32, has drawn little to no interest in free agency and may be forced into retirement.
    Kind of thought this. Might as well move on with the future and try not doing anything to inhibit Pinkston's growth.

Browns GM Tom Heckert says NT Phil Taylor (torn pectoral) will "definitely" return during the 2012 season.
    "100%," said Heckert. "We think he'll be back end of October, early November. ... It's six months at the most, and that's being very, very cautious. He could be back earlier." Taylor will start the season on PUP, but the Browns expect him to return not long after. Scott Paxson is penciled in as the interim starter.
    I think he is out all season and if they plan on going into the season with Paxson as a starter then that might be a big issue unless he just goes out and injures QB's like he did to Ben last year.

Browns GM Tom Heckert says CB Sheldon Brown will not be moving to safety.
    "Sheldon Brown is never going to play safety unless some disaster happens," Heckert said. "You can put that to bed." There have been rumblings of a position switch for Brown since his Philly days, but it's not happening in Cleveland. Now 33, Brown will be pushed for the No. 2 corner job by Dimitri Patterson and Buster Skrine. Usama Young and T.J. Ward are the Browns' starting safeties.
    Hopefully with a full off-season and staying healthy Young can be the starter this year that they thought he could be last year. I thought he did a decent job last year at the end when filling in for Ward.

Browns GM Tom Heckert says there is nothing active regarding a quarterback move and that Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace could both be on the team's 53-man roster this season.
    Said Heckert, "The best guy is going to play, but we fully expect Brandon Weeden to be the guy." Unless Weeden completely bombs in the preseason, Wallace and McCoy will compete for the No. 2 job. It's very possible that the "loser" will end up getting the boot, but the team may want to keep two veteran options behind the unproven rookie.
    I really hope they don't keep both of them. Just seems like baggage that the team doesn't need this year. Keep Colt if he is ok with the backup job which he should be and let Wallace go as he is older and more expensive.

http://rotoworld.com/teams/nfl/cle/cleveland-browns

vCash
    I really like the way that the Browns roster is shaping up on offense. Not just going into the off-season workouts but for the next few years.

They have a very young o-line that was built exclusively through the draft. Heckert was lucky to inherit Joe Thomas and Alex Mack and added his own fingerprints with Lauvao, Pinkston, Schwartz and Miller. If they can continue to grow together over the next few years they could become downright dominant. Thomas is the oldest at 28 and you could honestly say he can have another 6 or 7 years of Pro Bowl play.

The skill positions have seen significant upgrades in the last 2 drafts with Greg Little and Trent Richardson. Everyone has high expectations for Richardson going into his rookie season but we should all expect major strides from Little as well. He's a big physical guy that had to knock off a lot of rust and learn too much on the fly last year. Hopefully he can click with Weeden early and often. The tight end group has loads of potential with Moore and Cameron but they need to prove they are more than just potential talents.

At QB there has been a lot said about drafting Brandon Weeden. The way I see it, the 22nd pick isn't too high even taking into consideration his age. His window for hitting his prime should be the next 5 to 6 years which matches up well with the rest of the team. At some point in that time frame they will more than certainly obtain a young talented passer to take the reins from him when he is done.

vCash
    With OTAs starting today, we should be able to get a better idea of where the team is headed. I am interested to see both MoMass and Little catching passes from Weeden. I am hoping that McCoy's delivery or touch was the reason for the mass amounts of drops and Weeden can help that. I also hope MoMass turns a corner and becomes a reliable number 2 option with Benjamin working the slot. Has potential to work, but that is a lot of "ifs".

vCash
    Heckert will have a lot of explaining to do if the Browns receivers are a flop this year. Greg Little played in a similar system during college so the scheme wasn't an issue for him. He just needed to adjust to the speed and physicality of the NFL which isn't anything new. But with last year under his belt he could potentially break out on a big way this year. 1,000 - 1,200 yards / 6 - 10 TDs would be nice to see.

This could be Massaquoi's last shot in Cleveland. He came into the league as a pro-ready wideout with an SEC pedigree. He's got good size and decent athletic ability but on Sundays he just looks like a passenger. The big dig on him is that he struggles to beat press and get of the line of scrimmage and into his route. Hopefully Brad Childress can get the most out of him and help him break out. It's also a contract year for MoMass so we should expect him to break out shouldn't we?

vCash
    I think the biggest difference Chiilly is going to make is with the TEs. He knows how to utalize their athletic abilities in the Red Zone. He also knows how to use a Benjamin type player. Should be interesting.

vCash
    I'm sure hoping for good things with Childress. Shurmur's playcalling was overly bland last year. Childress was very creative with the running game in his time with the Vikings and that should help with the play-action passing game. We've all been wanting to see more of Evan Moore for the last two seasons but I'm hoping to see a big season from Jordan Cameron. He's got the makings of a big play tight end the way Shiancoe was for Childress.

vCash
    I'm hoping they can use Moore in a Dallas Clark slot role. Doubt it will happen though.

vCash
    I think Cameron can be good too if utilized properly.

vCash
    Where does everybody see Ben Watson this year? Going into last season we all thought he would be perfect in the WCO. Of course 3 concussions including one on the first day of camp didn't help but could he still be the #1 TE?

vCash
    Scott Fujita making 1st appearance in #Browns offseason program.
    Tony Grossi

For what its worth, 1st snap of QB drills goes to McCoy #Browns
    Will Burge

#browns lb Dqwell Jackson practicing in otas despite treatment Monday for a stiff back.
    Mary Kay Cabot

#browns de Marcus benard back on practice field after motorcycle accident last season and broken hand.
    Mary Kay Cabot

#browns qb colt McCoy takes first full team snap.
    Mary Kay Cabot

#browns qb Seneca Wallace goes third in 11 on 11 drills. McCoy first, Weeden second on 1st day of otas.
    Mary Kay Cabot

#Browns punter Reggie Hodges back in action at OTAs.
    Tony Grossi

#Browns tryout Qb Darron Thomas apparently not invited back from rookie camp.
    Tony Grossi

#browns kicker phil Dawson not here first day of otas.
    Mary Kay Cabot

#browns safety Eric Hagg getting first-team reps alongside TJ ward.
    Mary Kay Cabot

#browns early No. 1 offense has oniel cousins at RT not Mitch Schwartz.
    Tony Grossi

It's Billy Winn next to Ahtyba Rubin at DT in 7on7s.
    Tony Grossi
    All from Twitter

vCash
    A lot of this is just putting a body out there. I'm guessing Cousins knows the play book a little better, and the coaches are just looking to have a nice smooth practice. Other positions are just seeing what people can do. OTAs aren't the best gauge of what coaches are thinking. They are filmed though so players are being evaluated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brownies236 View Post
    A lot of this is just putting a body out there. I'm guessing Cousins knows the play book a little better, and the coaches are just looking to have a nice smooth practice. Other positions are just seeing what people can do. OTAs aren't the best gauge of what coaches are thinking. They are filmed though so players are being evaluated.
    Obviously the only rookie I thought they would put in with the first team starting out is TRich and that is because the lack of the position and his overall standing with the team. Not surprised at all by McCoy getting first team or Cousins getting those reps first as they more than likely know the playbook better still and most teams just don't start throwing their rookies in there day 1 unless forced which right now the coaching staff shouldn't feel they are. A lot of time. Everybody knows Weeden is the first team QB and Schwartz is the first team RT. Just don't need to overwhelm them on the first day. A lot of offseason to go.

I am interested by Hagg though getting first team reps as I now with Brown staying at Corner I can see a camp battle between Young and Hagg for the starting FS position as both played some decent minutes to end the year last year and the FO seems very high on Hagg. Should have been a 3rd or 4th round selection if not for the injury issues coming out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonevision View Post
    Where does everybody see Ben Watson this year? Going into last season we all thought he would be perfect in the WCO. Of course 3 concussions including one on the first day of camp didn't help but could he still be the #1 TE?
    Gotta wait on that comment. Watson could be cut come Pre-season or he could have a big year as he is in a contract year. Just depends on how healthy he is and if he can maintain health. Also depends on if Moore or Cameron can make a leap. I think right now if he stays healthy then he will be the #1 TE with Cameron subing for him while they have Moore split out because of his lack of blocking. Cameron from everything I saw last year at least tried putting a body on a defender where Moore just didn't seem like he understood how to block.

The one thing I am hoping not to see this year in the Browns is a lot of Alex Smith again. I do not mind the guy and actually thought he played well last year for having to help the right side but if he isn't playing then that means the line is holding up and they don't need that additional blocker where they can be putting Moore, Cameron, and Watson in 2 TE sets or a having one flanked out.

vCash
    Looking forward to hearing later today how things went in the first OTA's. There should be some good battles and I was already eager to find out what would happen at safety and now with Brown staying at corner it looks like one of the UFA's might have a shot at sticking on the final roster.

Hopefully Schwartz gets into the starting line-up sooner than later. Kid needs to get up to speed in this offense.

Is Hardesty hurt yet?

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast