Rd 3 - #1(64) Dwayne Allen(TE) Clemson
    Rd 3 - #29(92) T.Y. Hilton(WR) Fla Int'l
    Rd 5 - #1(136) Josh Chapman(DT) Alabama
    Rd 5 - #35(170) Vick Ballard(RB) Miss St
    Rd 6 - #36(206) LaVon Brazill(WR) Ohio
    Rd 7 - #1(208) Justin Anderson(OG) Georgia
    Rd 7 - #7(214) Tim Fugger(OLB) Vanderbilt
    Rd 7 - #46(253) Chandler Harnish(QB) N Illinois

With the first two picks, and with Fleener falling to us in the second round, I was sitting back thinking this could be the greatest draft in Colts history. That being said, after Fleener, Grigson clearly lost his mind or called Bill Pollian for advice because things took an extreme turn for the worst. I do not understand wasting the #1 pick in the third round on ANOTHER tight end with much clearer needs. I get the 2 TE set, but that is something that can be built upon and didn't need to be addressed. That could be addressed with FA as well.

I gave Grigson the benefit of the doubt with that horrible pick, even though there were clearly many starting NFL caliber cornerbacks on the board that we could have taken that would have made a bigger impact next year than ANOTHER frigging tight end. Oh well.

Come the fifth round, he surprised me even more and in another worse way. Hilton is a project WR, and is not starting NFL caliber. He is injury prone, and small. That however is irrelevant. This was NOT a dire need on the Colts with Wayne, Collie, Fleener and our second new tight end.

The NT pick in the 5th was a steal. We got a guy that fell to use because other teams didn't have as much of a need for him. He should be solid and hopefully become a solid piece.

6th and 7th continued the downward spiral of boneheaded garbage picks with a running back we do not need, and ANOTHER practice squad wide receiver.

Anderson and Fugger are practice squads as well, maybe they will surprise but who knows. The potential is limited.

Finally, he topped off the day by drafting another QB. He fit the joke pick of the day nicely by picking an absolute joke.

I just have a hard time seeing Grigson and Irsays strategy with all this. I just want to call up Irsay and be like "SPLAIN' IT TO ME LUCY!!!" Our most OBVIOUS need (secondary) wasn't even thought about? Does Grigson and Irsay plan on dressing up and playing as our starting CB's next season? Does he really honestly believe that ANOTHER tight end is going to make more of impact that having a single cornerback?! What about safety?! Offensive line depth?! I would have been happier with them simply just drafting hole fillers on defense, but he he failed to even do that!

Overall, if it wasn't for Luck and Fleener which was a gift from God, this draft earns a grade of an F. However, ONLY because of luck (no pun intended), that we got the first two guys I will give it a D+. And that is a GENEROUS D+ grade. I should just take Luck out of the equation since Grigson had no strategy with him. Take that out and the grade returns to an F.

I really am not sure what the Colts plans are. Maybe that want to suck bad enough next year to get another high pick? Who knows... I am reminded of the Manning draft, where Pollian idiotically drafted two wide receivers back to back after Manning, both of which were absolute garbage. Looking back on that draft, if you take out Peyton, that draft would earn a grade of an F as well. Time will tell, but on paper, and judging by the needs we failed to fill, this why I give the draft such a low grade.

Again, I am not saying every pick needs to be a pro bowler, but when you have needs like we do, you at least use your flier picks on players that can fill the holes you have. Failing to address the secondary is absolutely 100% inexcusable in my book. He should have at least just taken someone with the last pick to give the presumption that he cared about building a defense. Moving to 3-4 defense leaves us with even more holes than a normal team would have, and I am just in shock Grigson failed to even try to address these needs.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

vCash
    For comparison sake, here is the 1998 Bill Pollian Peyton Manning draft.

Round Selection Player Position College
    1 1 Peyton Manning QB Tennessee
    2 32 Jerome Pathon WR Washington
    3 71 E.G. Green WR Florida State
    4 93 Steve McKinney OL Texas A&M
    5 135 Antony Jordan LB Vanderbilt
    7 190 Aaron Taylor OL Nebraska
    7 231 Cory Gaines Tennessee

Now this one is even more bizarre just because you have to figure they already had Marvin Harrison and a two TE set in Ken Dilger and Marcus Pollard so taking 2 WR was nuts.

However, it was allowed because the next season Manning turned them around to 13-3. Hopefully Luck can do the same.

"I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

vCash
    From this fans point of view, you could NOT be any further from the truth with your overall grade dude! This is a whole new Colts team that we will be looking at this season and from here on out. We selected the TOP 2 Tight Ends of the entire draft! Allen was the Mackey Award winner last season and was actually rated higher than Fleener by some analysts. You will see a lot more 2 TE sets and with Fleeners speed he can shift out into a mismatch in a 3 or 4 receiver set! This worked pretty well for the Pats last season and both of the TE's we just selected could be every bit as good as Gronk and Hernandez! Love the T.Y. Hilton pick too as he will give us a legitimate return man with blazing speed to help shorten the field for our rookie QB. Chapman is another great pick with tremendous upside and would have been rated a first or second rounder if he was not coming off of the knee injury. The RB pick was a need also as we have 2 RB's on the roster and Carter showed last season that fumbling was a bit of a problem and Brown has a history of injuries.... after that the picks don't really matter. The QB pick was a little puzzling but oh well. You can't let late round picks like that diminish what you accomplished in the first 5 rounds which was awesome! This team will compete this year more than people think and you gotta give it some time, they will get the defense built up. I do agree with you that a couple of those late pics should have went to our Secondary, but they signed a couple undrafted DB's that could make the roster. Again, you can't let the late picks cloud the bright spots which were aplenty!
    Last edited by CubbieColts; 04-28-2012 at 11:55 PM.

vCash
    I'm giving it an A. Simply because we didn't pick another player at #1. Teams should feel fortunate if they draft a probowl caliber player with their first pick, but we ended up with a guy that could be one of the best QBs ever.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    That's the thing, though, Polian drafted for positional need, Grigson drafted who they rated as the best players available. Sometimes it's not about need, and you have to go with those best guys. This draft was about as anti-Polian as it gets, two TEs with the 2nd and 3rd picks and trading up to take a returner? Polian never would've done that.

Honestly, our first five picks look awesome. Luck's Luck, best and basically only two TEs in the whole draft, both who project very well, a superb returner who could be a pretty good deep threat and possibly the starting NT. Awesome job all around. We'll see about the next five, but when you're worrying about your last five of ten picks, you know you're in pretty good shape. Not sure if I'd also make a big deal about drafting a QB in the Mr. Irrelevant spot. They seem to like the guy, perhaps you're developing a solid backup for Luck, which is another thing Polian would've never done and is something we were lacking at in the Manning era.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    one guy doesn't take you from yearly playoff conteder to the worst team in football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieColts View Post
    From this fans point of view, you could NOT be any further from the truth with your overall grade dude! This is a whole new Colts team that we will be looking at this season and from here on out. We selected the TOP 2 Tight Ends of the entire draft! Allen was the Mackey Award winner last season and was actually rated higher than Fleener by some analysts. You will see a lot more 2 TE sets and with Fleeners speed he can shift out into a mismatch in a 3 or 4 receiver set! This worked pretty well for the Pats last season and both of the TE's we just selected could be every bit as good as Gronk and Hernandez! Love the T.Y. Hilton pick too as he will give us a legitimate return man with blazing speed to help shorten the field for our rookie QB. Chapman is another great pick with tremendous upside and would have been rated a first or second rounder if he was not coming off of the knee injury. The RB pick was a need also as we have 2 RB's on the roster and Carter showed last season that fumbling was a bit of a problem and Brown has a history of injuries.... after that the picks don't really matter. The QB pick was a little puzzling but oh well. You can't let late round picks like that diminish what you accomplished in the first 5 rounds which was awesome! This team will compete this year more than people think and you gotta give it some time, they will get the defense built up. I do agree with you that a couple of those late pics should have went to our Secondary, but they signed a couple undrafted DB's that could make the roster. Again, you can't let the late picks cloud the bright spots which were aplenty!
    +1

Rarely have I seen a more ridiculous post, even from him

Don't feel like wasting my time on all the nonsense, but one example:

Hilton is a project receiver? Really?

Everything I've seen and read says he's an incredibly dangerous threat both as a return man and a receiver, every time he touches the ball. The fastest guy in the draft. Not only fast, but incredibly quick,able stop and go on a dime and make defenders look foolish.

Somebody,think it was Mayock, called him De Sean Jackson without the drama.

Just another example of why I see the OP as a phony posing as a Colts fan.
    Last edited by TheVicster; 04-29-2012 at 08:53 AM.

vCash
    And while Grigson made it clear he wasn't drafting for positional need, that is kind of what happenned, we replaced what we lost.

Lost a frnachise qb, drafted one

Lost two starting caliber TE, drafted two

Lost a deep threat with speed, drafted one.

Lost a running back, drafted one.

And we added a starting quality NT at the same time. Did we draft any CB's no, but this was not a good draft for them. Why reach? Time enough to see who everybody else cuts and pick them up as FA's.

I LOVE this draft. As somebody else said, it's more important to make sure Luck has the tools to succeed than draft a Cb right now

vCash
    Also remember we did go out and get a few undrafted corners to help fill some holes. Next year I see us going RB and CB in the first 2 picks of next years draft so lets just be happy we built the O back up a little.

vCash
    I loved our draft. the TE pick in the 3rd grew on me, and we got some nice value picks late. Couldn't be any more excited for the season to start. Too bad it seems like September is an eternity...

vCash
    amazing draft. gotta give it an A just on the first 5 picks. great start grigson.
    Atlanta Braves - Indianapolis Colts - Indiana Pacers - IU Hoosiers

<div style=text-align: center;>HOOSIERS</div>

vCash
    Andrew Luck, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen, Ty Hilton, and Josh Chapman get A's. Great value for their draft positions. Vick Ballard and LaVon Brazill get B's. Decent players that fit into the new system, but may have little impact.

I don't know much about either Justin Anderson or Tim Fugger. Possible practice squad, depth, but for seventh round picks who cares. I'd give them C's. Chandler Harnish was a great choice to end the draft. A guy who could be a quality backup to Andrew Luck in the future. Luck's Jim Sorgi.

The Colts have also signed undrafted free agents: Steven Baker (OT, East Carolina), Cameron Chism (CB, Maryland), Kevin Eagan (DE, Endicott), Antonio Fenelus (DB, Wisconsin), Jason Foster (OG, Rhode Island), Chris Galippo (LB, USC), Hayworth Hick (OG, Iowa), Buddy Jackson (CB, Pittsburgh), Matt Merletti (RB, North Carolina), Micah Pellerin (CB, Hampton) Jabin Sambrano (WR, Montana), Griff Whalen (WR, Stanford)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVicster View Post
    +1

Rarely have I seen a more ridiculous post, even from him

Don't feel like wasting my time on all the nonsense, but one example:

Hilton is a project receiver? Really?

Everything I've seen and read says he's an incredibly dangerous threat both as a return man and a receiver, every time he touches the ball. The fastest guy in the draft. Not only fast, but incredibly quick,able stop and go on a dime and make defenders look foolish.

Somebody,think it was Mayock, called him De Sean Jackson without the drama.

Just another example of why I see the OP as a phony posing as a Colts fan.
    As opposed to what? Mr Peyton will never leave the Colts? Irsay is an idiot for releasing Manning? Everything you have said the entire offseason hasn't even come close to happening.

You were all slobbing on Pollian before, angry they release Manning, angry they fired Pollian, mad they released ALL those players.

"You don't rebuild a team all at once you rebuilt it piece by piece" NONSENSE you were spouting off before.

Now all of a sudden you have jumped onboard with whats going on apparently?

If anything you have no idea what you are talking about 99% of the time, you just repost what you read on ESPN.

Then "gasp" when it turns out that what you are suggesting is absolutely completely wrong, you simply just change your opinion to meet the minds of the masses.

Everything I have said for the past 6 months is exactly what has happened. Getting a defensive minded coach, COMPLETELY cleaning house, cutting all the overpriced garbage like Clark, Addai, and Bullitt. SWITCHING TO A 3-4 DEFENSE.

You just sit back and criticize when have absolutely no opinion yourself, and as soon as your ideas are shut down and don't come to play, you simply just agree the other way and act like you have always been that way.

You're not fooling anyone, everyone has sat back and read you blowing up about all the "horrible" decisions the Colts have made with Manning, cuts, coaching, and general overall management. Don't get on your high horse now and act like you are some huge fan of the direction they have gone NOW that you finally saw Luck drafted.
    Last edited by vigilantex69; 04-29-2012 at 12:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    as opposed to what? Mr peyton will never leave the colts? Irsay is an idiot for releasing manning? Everything you have said the entire offseason hasn't even come close to happening.

You were all slobbing on pollian before, angry they release manning, angry they fired pollian, mad they released all those players.

"you don't rebuild a team all at once you rebuilt it piece by piece" nonsense you were spouting off before.

If anything you have no idea what you are talking about 99% of the time, you just repost what you read on espn.

Then "gasp" when it turns out that what you are suggesting is absolutely completely wrong, you simply just change your opinion to meet the minds of the masses.

Everything i have said for the past 6 months is exactly what has happened. Getting a defensive minded coach, completely cleaning house, cutting all the overpriced garbage like clark, addai, and bullitt. Switching to a 3-4 defense.

You just sit back and criticize when have absolutely no opinion yourself, and as soon as your ideas are shut down and don't come to play, you simply just agree the other way and act like you have always been that way.

You're not fooling anyone, everyone has sat back and read you blowing up about all the "horrible" decisions the colts have made with manning, cuts, coaching, and general overall management. Don't get on your high horse now and act like you are some huge fan of the direction they have gone now that you finally saw luck drafted.
    o ****!
    Wolves

vCash
    Seemed like Grigson wanted to build an offense around Luck. After drafting luck, Grigson/Pagano said that the next step would be to surround Luck with protection and weapons. They succeeded in doing that. This year will be an evaluation year for the defense. Since it is a new defense, Grigson will evaluate what changes need to be made next offseason to the defense. Who knows? Maybe Kevin Thomas plays well opposite of Jerraud powers. Rucker could be good as well. Maybe the UDFA's do well. Let's see how these guys do on the field before calling for Grigson's head.

I like that this team was able to give Luck a lot of help. Before the draft, we had some of the most underwhelming offensive talent in the league (Eldridge, Avery) as the starting TE and 2nd WR. Now there's 2 legitimate monster TEs, another playmaking WR so we're not reliant on a guy coming off a torn ACL, and another RB that is probably better than Evans... Plus, Grigson did upgrade the Oline this offseason. Also can't forget about Collie...

Overall, I think the team did what it had to do. Luck's chances of having a successful rookie year went up because of Grigson's offseason. Again, Defense will be a major work in progress this year and will likely be addressed next draft, once the front office sees how the players do in the new system.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilantex69 View Post
    As opposed to what? Mr Peyton will never leave the Colts? Irsay is an idiot for releasing Manning? Everything you have said the entire offseason hasn't even come close to happening.

You were all slobbing on Pollian before, angry they release Manning, angry they fired Pollian, mad they released ALL those players.

"You don't rebuild a team all at once you rebuilt it piece by piece" NONSENSE you were spouting off before.

If anything you have no idea what you are talking about 99% of the time, you just repost what you read on ESPN.

Everything I have said for the past 6 months is exactly what has happened. Getting a defensive minded coach, COMPLETELY cleaning house, cutting all the overpriced garbage like Clark, Addai, and Bullitt. SWITCHING TO A 3-4 DEFENSE.

You're not fooling anyone, everyone has sat back and read you blowing up about all the "horrible" decisions the Colts have made with Manning, cuts, coaching, and general overall management. Don't get on your high horse now and act like you are some huge fan of the direction they have gone NOW that you finally saw Luck drafted.
    To be quite honest all of that you just spouted off about is meaningless. Your assessment of the Colts draft is insane to put it nicely. Nobody agrees with anything you came up with. I have not seen a draft grade below A from any of the national talking heads.

The Colts as a team are going to be MUCH improved from last year with the additions added to this team. The defense was not completely forgotten about unless you are not taking into account the FA's that they brought in before the draft. The new scheme will be a huge benefit to them as well with whatever corners we have out there not playing 10 yards off the ball every time. So don't go all crazy when you rightly get ripped for such an asinine grading of the draft.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century – that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast