Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Pineda could be back in ten months

And more effective than ever.

Sorry if this was posted in the other thread, but I think this deserves its own thread. And normally, I'd disregard ANYTHING that Curt Schilling has to say, but he's dead on with this: (via ESPN)

"He can be back better than he has ever been in 10 months," said Schilling, now an ESPN baseball analyst. "Maybe less, because he is younger. It is going to be 100 percent on him."

The Yankees have diagnosed Pineda, 23, with an anterior labral tear. The team says it will take Pineda one year before he will be on a major league mound. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday.

"I was really surprised to see the 12-month-out thing," said Schilling, who suffered a superior labral tear in 1995.

Schilling, who won 216 games during his major league career, had the surgery when he was 28 years old. Ten months later, after rigorously following the rehab program, Schilling returned in May 1996 and threw seven shutout innings. He went on to throw more than 2,400 additional major league innings and may end up in the Hall of Fame.

"I came back after my surgery, throwing four to six miles harder than I did before," he said. "That is where the magic is. It is all about rehab. Most doctors can make you 100 percent well physically. I would tell you that it is 25 percent about the surgery and 75 percent about the rehab."

Dr. Craig D. Morgan performed the surgery on Schilling. Morgan said that pitchers take four months before they can pick up a ball.

With the advances in the science, Morgan believes Pineda possibly could pitch again in six to eight months.

The ability to hasten the recovery likely will have to a lot to do with Pineda's work ethic.

"These people have to develop a meticulous work ethic on this," Morgan said. "It is their life. They have to do it. Some of them are lazy. Some of them aren't.

"They are functional and good by six to eight months, but they are at their best the next year after that. It is kind of a spectrum of a comeback. Schilling was better than he was before he got hurt. The reason for that was that he bought into the exercise program for his total body, which made him a better pitcher than he was before he got hurt."
    As I said yesterday, this surgery is not as big of a deal as everyone's saying. I had it and came back even better in swimming. Obviously not the same with pitching, but I trust Schilling on this. Not only did he have the same surgery, but he came back even better. Much like Pineda, prior to surgery, he was out of shape, and the rehab period allowed him to get his whole body into shape.

"You have a lot of people speculating about his weight gain and blah, blah, blah," Schilling said. "It is all about the strength in the shoulder. He clearly had a very weak shoulder. When you have a weak shoulder, your shoulder will start to droop and you will start to tax muscles and you get tears."
    And if you don't trust Schilling's firsthand experience on this, here's a nice quote from ESPN's "injury expert" Stephania Bell:

ESPN injury expert Stephania Bell also said she didn't think the Mariners knew Pineda was hurt. She thought Pineda could be better after surgery because the Yankees will have a chance to get his whole body in shape.

"If you want to paint the silver lining on this, it is, yeah, he is going to have supervised rehab and conditioning that will help protect his arm as his arm comes back over the course of a year," Bell said.
    Anyways, I was saying yesterday that his career is definitely NOT over. So let's stop panicking. Cut the knee-jerk reactions, we didn't give up Montero for nothing. And just because one decade-old article says that the labrum is the worst baseball injury doesn't mean that he can't come back.

When I tore my labrum in high school, I missed my entire sophomore year of swimming. We had hopes for states that year, and I had hopes of making nationals. Well, watching from the sidelines motivated me. Before my injury, I was one of the laziest athletes on the team. Afterwards, my dedication improved tenfold. Watching from the sidelines sucks, so if there was anything wrong with Pineda's work ethic before, he'll change very quickly after having to watch from the sidelines.
    O-H-I-O!

Welcome home, Urban

vCash
    Comforting news but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    Comforting news but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Agree. But the injury is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. Some people are taking their "educated guesses" a little over the top when they don't have the slightest clue...

At least Schilling has experienced it.

vCash
    it is definitely going to be all about the rehab and i think theirs a very good chance that he comes back healthy, I'll be very surprised if he throw as hard or harder. Since Pineda lives in the DR in the off season he should go have that plasma spinning thing done that Colon did to help him heal better.

I'm very hopeful that Pineda makes a complete recovery, I also know someone who was an MLB pitcher who had labrum surgery. Some guys recover fully, some guys are never the same I still think its only 50/50 that he comes back throwing anywhere near as hard as he did

I still think someone screwed the pouch on this deal and should be held responsible. I also don't think telling Pineda that he was pitching for a rotation spot and putting that added pressure on him to perform did him any favors either. It just put that much more pressure on him to perform and when he started to feel tightness and pain he choose not to say anything because he was pitching for his job. This is another example of this team doing a miserable job developing young pitchers, that Nova has survived this long and succeeded as much as he has is a minor miracle

vCash
    schilling is trying to destroy his career..............
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    schilling is trying to destroy his career..............
    I don't think so. Even if Schilling does hate the Yankees, I doubt he'd try to destroy a 23 year old kid's career over some rivalry. Most of the players on the Yankees and Red Sox now weren't there when he played, and the rivalry isn't nearly as personal for the players as it is for the fans (like how Ortiz and Cano are good friends).
    O-H-I-O!

Welcome home, Urban

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadOwl View Post
    I don't think so. Even if Schilling does hate the Yankees, I doubt he'd try to destroy a 23 year old kid's career over some rivalry. Most of the players on the Yankees and Red Sox now weren't there when he played, and the rivalry isn't nearly as personal for the players as it is for the fans (like how Ortiz and Cano are good friends).
    it was a joke
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    lol

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    That's the best case scenario. If Pineda wants to salvage any type of career he may have left as a MLB SP he needs to focus on his rehab like Schilling did.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    ICIT*

*In Curt I Trust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    it is definitely going to be all about the rehab and i think theirs a very good chance that he comes back healthy, I'll be very surprised if he throw as hard or harder. Since Pineda lives in the DR in the off season he should go have that plasma spinning thing done that Colon did to help him heal better.

I'm very hopeful that Pineda makes a complete recovery, I also know someone who was an MLB pitcher who had labrum surgery. Some guys recover fully, some guys are never the same I still think its only 50/50 that he comes back throwing anywhere near as hard as he did

I still think someone screwed the pouch on this deal and should be held responsible. I also don't think telling Pineda that he was pitching for a rotation spot and putting that added pressure on him to perform did him any favors either. It just put that much more pressure on him to perform and when he started to feel tightness and pain he choose not to say anything because he was pitching for his job. This is another example of this team doing a miserable job developing young pitchers, that Nova has survived this long and succeeded as much as he has is a minor miracle
    Just imagine Pineda throwing 100-104 mph on every fastball though. Then you'll be eating your words.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    I hope curt schilling gets crabs in his azz hair.

vCash
    Shoulder injuries are always serious, but things could definitely be worse for Pineda...

Injuries to the front of the shoulder are easier to fix and heal quicker than injuries to the back of the shoulder, which usually require rotator cuff surgery.

Let's hope for the best!

vCash
    Nice post badowl. Ideally then Pineda could come back strong around the time the ace kiddos are breaking into the majors.
    "I'm not fat, I just have a sweet hockey body." -Eric Cartman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    ICIT*

*In Curt I Trust

On so many levels.

And so, a new era begins.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast