Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Canucks extend Mike Gillis' contract; AV likely staying too

VANCOUVER Mike Gillis has agreed to a contract extension to remain general manager of the Vancouver Canucks, which likely means Alain Vigneault will be staying as coach.

Gillis, who had one season remaining on the five-year deal he signed when hired by the National Hockey League team in 2008, has been outspoken in his support for Vigneault. Despite a franchise-best .634 winning percentage in Vancouver that includes the best two regular seasons in Canuck history the last two years, Vigneault is unsigned beyond next season.

Gillis agreed to his extension during a meeting Monday with managing-owner Francesco Aquilini. The speedy resolution of Gillis' status is important to a team with key personnel decisions to make beyond its coach.

Gillis must resolve the Canucks' goaltending situation and decide if there is a market to trade veteran netminder Roberto Luongo, who has 10 years remaining on his $64-million contract. The GM must also try to re-sign coveted potential free agent goalie Cory Schneider before July 1.

Under Gillis, the Canucks have averaged 50 wins and 108 points and won their division each season. Vancouver's nine playoff rounds during his four years is tied for the most in the NHL, although the Canucks' first-round upset loss two weeks against the Los Angeles Kings raised questions about the future of the coach and GM.

Vigneault did not speak to reporters after the season and has been in the Montreal area since then.

Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...#ixzz1uESCheMt
    And so it goes.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash

Canucks extend Mike Gillis' contract; AV likely staying too

Very torn on this. Until this season of brutal moves I was a big supporter of Gillis.

Now we have $9M of Florida Panthers salaries and the possibility of a bad contract coming back if we trade Luongo. Not to mention that Gillis' moves bring us progressively more and more near misses on the depth chart.

If he does something gutsy and clever and the team is remade, we have a chance. If not its just paralysis for another year.

vCash
    Now that VAN GM Mike Gillis has his contract extension, Gillis and Alain Vigneault will begin working on an extension for the head coach.
    https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...64690819891201

I just don't like handing out contract extensions when the person still has a year left on the contract. This could be a good evaluation year, but instead we're jumping the gun.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Now that VAN GM Mike Gillis has his contract extension, Gillis and Alain Vigneault will begin working on an extension for the head coach.

I just don't like handing out contract extensions when the person still has a year left on the contract. This could be a good evaluation year, but instead we're jumping the gun.
    I agree. I don't think AV had a contending roster to work with but I'd still like to see him prove his worth in the post season before he gets a contract extension. So far, meh.

vCash

It's a sign of faith/you don't want to lose the guy when his contract expires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post

It's a sign of faith/you don't want to lose the guy when his contract expires.
    What motivates him to improve the team then when he's rewarded for a bunch of really brutal moves this season?

I'm not saying to fire him but what incentive does he have after getting away with the Booth, Sturm, and Kassian no-gain moves?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    What motivates him to improve the team then when he's rewarded for a bunch of really brutal moves this season?

I'm not saying to fire him but what incentive does he have after getting away with the Booth, Sturm, and Kassian no-gain moves?
    He's a GM. I think his incentive to do a good job is to win the cup. It's what he wants, it's what we want, it's what everyone wants.

vCash
    I still believe in Gillis. But I wish we would have waited until next offseason. Or midseason next season...
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    He's a GM. I think his incentive to do a good job is to win the cup. It's what he wants, it's what we want, it's what everyone wants.
    Correction, he's a GM who thinks he has a team good enough to win the Cup everyone wants. What's his incentive to create a BETTER team?

vCash
    Tough not to have some faith in AV, seeing as he's the Canucks most winningest coach and took them to Game 7 of the SCF last year. But I wonder if AV's heart is really in it these days, seems he's got a carrot in Montreal (possible new coach?). I just hope Gillis extends his contract one year and not 3-4 years. Who knows, if AV doesn't get a long term extension, he may just pull the plug on himself after next seasion, and then head east. This team needs to make a "real" splash, and not just add a Kassian or Weise, etc. One of the goalies has to go, and by the sounds of it, it will be Luongo. I can see them ridding themselves of Raymond, Malhotra and Ballard, possibly Alberts. But is that enough? Gillis seems to play it really safe, so I'm not sure we'll see Kesler, Burrows, etc leave. I do hope, whatever happens, we keep the Sedins (they're lifers in VAN), Schneider, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Hansen. Higgins and Booth are nice additons to the offense, but they need to do more.