Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Packers cut Borel, start clock on Sherrod

The Green Bay Packers have released wide receiver Diondre Borel from their practice squad/injured list.

A 6-foot wide receiver out of Utah State, Borel spent all of last season on the Packers' practice squad and even declined a late-season offer to join the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' 53-man roster to stay in Green Bay.

Entering training camp, Borel was expected to compete for the Packers' fifth wide receiver job with veteran Donald Driver and fellow practice-squad returnee, Tori Gurley.

However, a combination of injuries and preseason struggles saw Borel and Gurley lose out to not only Driver, but also undrafted rookie Jarrett Boykin for the sixth receiving spot. Borel landed back on the practice squad before being placed on the injured list two weeks ago with a hamstring injury.

The Packers made one other move on Tuesday, designating tackle Derek Sherrod to return to practice off the physically unable to perform list. The move buys the Packers a three-week window for Sherrod to return to practice before they must make a decision to activate him or place him on injured reserve.

Sherrod, the Packers' first-round pick in 2011, has yet to return after breaking his leg against Kansas City on Dec. 18, 2011.
    http://www.packersnews.com/article/2...nclick_check=1

vCash
    Hmm I guess that's kind of surprising maybe Sherrod is further along than what we had been figuring. As for Borel it is a little surprising but than again its not. I mean its not really a boom or bust move

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Hmm I guess that's kind of surprising maybe Sherrod is further along than what we had been figuring. As for Borel it is a little surprising but than again its not. I mean its not really a boom or bust move
    If he was hurt.......who cares. He had enough time to prove something.

vCash
    Glad to see Sherrod might have a chance to play at some point. The depth on oline now is somewhat suspect...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    If he was hurt.......who cares. He had enough time to prove something.
    well yeah thats basically my feelings on it I know they were still kind of high on him but, he is hurt and on the IR and he was on the PS anyway so its not a boom or bust move for us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    well yeah thats basically my feelings on it I know they were still kind of high on him but, he is hurt and on the IR and he was on the PS anyway so its not a boom or bust move for us
    Could be back for next year's TC as a "just in case"

Wouldn't mind that.

vCash
    Sherrod, the Packers' first-round pick in 2011, has yet to return after breaking his leg against Kansas City on Dec. 18, 2011.
    How is someone out almost a year with a broken leg?

vCash
    i have a feeling sherrod will be on IR in 3 weeks
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Because he broke both bones in the leg had to have it surgically repaired

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    He's like Cutler strong.

vCash

vCash
    Green Bay - Tackle Derek Sherrod completed his first week of limited practice in almost a year Friday with his coach all but acknowledging that he won't become a contributor for the Green Bay Packers until at least next season.

Sherrod, a first-round draft choice in 2011, moved gingerly through drills during the individual portion of practice. There were signs of a slight limp when he tried to run.

It has been 10 months since Sherrod underwent emergency surgery in Kansas City to repair the broken tibia and fibula in his right leg. The Packers described it as a "clean" break, but he doesn't appear even close to being able to participate in 11-on-11 drills.

"Well, I don't want to give up on Derek," coach Mike McCarthy said Friday. "We're taking baby steps. I think it's obvious if you've had a chance to watch him work."

Sherrod can practice next week before his participation window closes on the physically unable to perform list. He will spend the final stages of the season on injured reserve.

The Packers decided to designate Sherrod for practice to see if there was any way he could contribute this season. When the answer became no, they will remain with rookie free agents Don Barclay and Greg Van Roten as the backups on their seven-man offensive line.

"I will say this," McCarthy said. "Just watching him a couple weeks ago and watching him go through the individual (Friday), I think he's made some strides. He has that last hurdle he has to get over. This is the kind of drill work that he needs, to be in pads and go through the individual stuff."
    You can pretty much stop the clock on Sherrod. Hopefully he can be ready for training camp next year.
    My Adopter Packer: Blow Job Raji