Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm not advocating getting rid of Staal yet, I want to see how contract talks go first but out of the three teams listed, I think Toronto would be the best fit. I'm not sure how close their values are but with Toronto having been mentioned willing to move Schenn, we could try that straight up or have them include a little extra. They get a great two-way center and we get the young, physical defenseman this team needs.

For defense, maybe Dallas, Martin for Benn lol? Last trade seemed to work well for us.

Being serious though, Edmonton needs defense but I don't think they're ready to win quite yet, the team is so young. They have some cap, so Martin is a possibility I suppose

vCash
    I am not gonna lie after looking into Schenn I could see him be had for a 2nd and Tangradi. He has really fallin out of favor mostly because he lost faith in his abilities kind of like Niskanen at first except he is much bigger of course. Also Schenn was known for turning the puck over countless times which had he team I rate. I actually would rather of all the teams to try for a package of Luca Sbisa and Ryan in Anaheim. I wouldn't want to get Schenn again unless we don't give up much for him

vCash
    If Ryan was coming this way I would inquire about it but like you said, Schenn has fallen out of favor and as a result, would probably come cheaper than his skill warrants. Obviously turnovers would not be a good thing in our system, or anyone's really, but I think that can be fixed. His assets would be a bigger gain than his drawbacks would be negative

vCash
    Luke Schenn is awful! Being from Canada where the national team is the Maple Leafs. I see mostly every Leafs game and Schenn is brutal. He was one of those players who was great in juniors but has struggled since entering the league. He gives up the puck waaaay too much and he doesn't even bring that much of a toughness.
    If Anaheim calls about Staal and they offer us Luca Sbisa and Bobby Ryan or even Getzlaf (he was rumoured to be out of Anaheim) I say we jump on that deal.
    Then I say we try and sign a guy who is a great shut down guy and great on faceoffs. A guy like Jarrett Stoll. He also has plays with an edge as well and can give his team at least 40 points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller3512 View Post
    The answers to the Pens problems are easy to diagnose but unfortunetly are going to be difficult to remedy. First and for most, Martin needs to go. I do like the idea of a trade for Volchenkov, however, having said that, I think in the long run it would benefit the team more to trade Martin for a draft pick instead of another player. The 5 million that would be cleared up by Martin's departure could be used in other ways. Such as, extending Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Letang etc... Or it could be used to add a much needed pure winger. Not a center playing a winger but an honest to goodness winger. I think every Pens fan would agree with me on that. But the fact still remains with Martin on the roster eating up alot of salary cap space none of the above mentioned is going to happen. So, priority number one for Shero should be atoning for his mistake and sending Paul Martin packing.

Second problem the Pens face is there lack of a gritty attitude. With the loss of both Talbot and Rupp the team in my opinion became somewhat soft. I think instead of spending mounds of cash on high priced D-men, like alot of you are in favor of, the Pens should look into acquiring one or two rough and tough but yet responsible forwards. Such as, Dominic Moore, Travis Moen, P.A. Parenteau etc... There should be a surplus of those kind of players this year available in free agency. I think the Pens would benefit greatly by taking that route instead of gutting there defense. Lets not forget that when it comes to defense, the Pens have drafted very well and have put themselves in a good position defensively moving forward. For those of you who are not aware, the Pens have some stud defensemen in the minors. So whatever short comings they have on defense now, will soon be fixed via internal options.

Last but most certainly not least, locking up Staal. I'm not concerned about Crosby's contract. There is no doubt in my mind that Sid will remian a Penguin after the 2012/13 season. But Staal on the other hand makes me nervious. A few of you have mentioned trading him and I can't for the life in me figure out why any Pens fan would even consider that. Staal has been the most responsible 2-way player on the roster. His offensive ability showed huge strides this past season. His defensive ability is better than most actual defensemen. And his play on special teams is the best in the league and getting better each season. So to me the idea of trading Staal is border line insanity. Hopefully Shero is as good of a general manager as what I think he is and he will find some way to keep Staalsy around for a long time.
    I imagine that most people aren't in favor of trading Staal. I've heard a lot of rumors lately that Staal thinks he could be more then a 3rd line center, and on the Penguins...well he isn't and never will be as long as you have Crosby and Malkin.

If Staal wants more of an offensive role, it might make it difficult for the Penguins to keep him. If that's the case, the smart money is to move him to get a good package in return rather then risk losing him for nothing.
    <Meaning and Content>

...And did you see that Giroux goal?

vCash
    The whole Staal situation depends on whether: A) these rumors are legit and B) if he is willing to move to a wing. If he is willing to move to wing, he could have a great position receiving and feeding pucks to Crosby. His physical presence would be a welcomed addition to a line of mostly finesse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk27 View Post
    The whole Staal situation depends on whether: A) these rumors are legit and B) if he is willing to move to a wing. If he is willing to move to wing, he could have a great position receiving and feeding pucks to Crosby. His physical presence would be a welcomed addition to a line of mostly finesse
    Forgot C) The CBA situation

Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

It's Back!: Battling Bucs

vCash
    I dont see why either of them need so much. Isn't 7 million a season enough? Why not resign Malkin and Sid for 7 million a year and Staal for 5 million a year? Do they really need 12 million a season? If they want to win, they need to take less money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Forgot C) The CBA situation
    I tried to forget that one. I'm really hoping it wouldn't come down to that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
    I dont see why either of them need so much. Isn't 7 million a season enough? Why not resign Malkin and Sid for 7 million a year and Staal for 5 million a year? Do they really need 12 million a season? If they want to win, they need to take less money
    I agree, at 7M, is 1.7M more going to make a difference. That being said, both Malkin and Crosby took a hometown discount so to speak, they are 2 of the top 3, or 5, forwards in the world. IF they would be willing to drop down to say 6M, bump Staal to 5M, we would be saving 4.4M a season. That alone could be enough to go find a decent winger or defenseman

vCash
    I can see a guy like Sid signing for less to make sure this core stays together. I can see him signing for around 7 mil per year. Obviously there would be bonuses and such to make it a little more.
    I also think that Staalsy is almost maxing out at 4 mil a year. He has had 2 prime years to prove he can be a top 2 line center and get paid for it. But I think offensively he is pretty much maxed out at 50 points a season. he could maybe push it to 60. So I would say give him a pay raise obviously but nothing more then 5 mil. But I cant see Staalsy being greedy and leaving the pens for money. But then again I was shocked to see Max Talbot leave cause of money.

vCash
    Staal should get the same as Kesler, 5 million, even less. Kesler is better than Staal. I hope they all stay, and i hope we sign Weber. So, sign Weber

Edit 1 at 925: SIGN WEBER!!!!!
    Last edited by penguins2946; 04-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.

vCash
    would you trade malkin or crosby for weber straight up or maybe neal and staal for him because for the money he will command on open market those are the players we would sacrafice to get him unless you can find some one to take martin and big z with out taking any salary back. there is a salary cap with crosby and malkin at 8.7 and staal at four and maf at around 5. we cant forget crosby and staal up at end of next season with raises probably coming. i guess there is a chance staal takes around 5 or less and if everything falls in to place perfectly crosby next season and malkin stay for around 8 million a season which is a pay cut and unlikely but lets say they all stay for the same to small raises that would be:

sid = 8.7
    geno=8.7
    staal= 5 he is at 4 right know and deserves at least that
    neal=5
    maf =5
    martin and z =9 total
    orpik =3.75
    kunitz= 3.75
    letang 3.5

that is a cap hit of 52.4 million not including bonuses

this is not including weber that will between 6-7 million easily takes the number to 59.4 million for 11 players half a roster with a projected cap of around 65 million to 70 million.

At those numbers weber would be way to pricey for us to afford unless we moved some major salary or lost one of big 6 in staal crosby, malkin,neal,maf,or letang or a combination of some of them. but if we could resign all them deal martin an z add weber and get some young cheap players to move up and some cup chaising vetrans i would be all for it weber but seems like a dream right now
    find some discipline and work ethic

vCash
    If we were to trash Martin, we should be able to get Weber. That is a gigantic if.

vCash
    Weber is a UFA this year so I am not trading anyone to Nashville for Weber. Cause they will want Simon Despres, Neal, Staalsy or even Scott Harrington. That would only to be able to have full negotiation rights to Weber. We got semi burnt by doing that with Dan Hamhuis and I dont want that to happen again.

But why does everyone want to trade away big Z? Why not trade away Brooks Orpik? He makes just about the same as Big Z AND Brooks is 2 years older. They are both strong defensively. If i had to pick between who I would want to keep between Brooks and Big Z I am taking Big Z.

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast