Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

What the Pens need this offseason

The Pens were awful this playoffs, no questions. Now it is time to look to the future. I'll start by saying i want Weber in a Pens jersey, i'd help the D a lot, and he is still young. Any ideas/criticism would be appriciated

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
    The Pens were awful this playoffs, no questions. Now it is time to look to the future. I'll start by saying i want Weber in a Pens jersey, i'd help the D a lot, and he is still young. Any ideas/criticism would be appriciated
    One criticism, playoffs aren't over yet. I know 3-0 is bleak but just ask the Flyer fans visiting our board (they did it just 2 short years ago) its not an impossible hole to climb out of.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    One criticism, playoffs aren't over yet. I know 3-0 is bleak but just ask the Flyer fans visiting our board (they did it just 2 short years ago) its not an impossible hole to climb out of.

The idea just came to me so i decided to make it before i forgot about it.

vCash
    What they need more than anything else is emotional growth and testicular fortitude. Then fix the defense, whether it means replacing the players or the system.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    I know the series has not come to a close yet, but looking towards next season I think they need to address defense and add more speed to our team. I mean if I was strictly speaking for this playoff series I would want more big checking players on our team.

I believe some of our targets this offseason maybe:

Bryan Allen D (is the stay at home dman we need.)

Paul Gaustad C/LW (tough, can shut other players down, and can score dirty goals)

Ryan Suter D
    (may need to trade away Paul Martin and Michalek to fit him under the cap, but I saw us possibly trading them away anyway.)

Jaromir Jagr RW (I know most people in Pittsburgh hate him especially now, but I feel he will want to retire with the team he was drafted by.)

David Jones Winger (a cheap talented option)

Dustin Penner (should come at a fairly cheap price with his lack of production and could work well on Sid's or Malkin's wing.)

vCash
    I would be happy getting any of the players you just mentioned except for Jagr. There is no way I would want him back and I really don't see him coming back either. We offered him a fair contract, he played the media hype, and then slapped us in the face in the end. He had is golden opportunity to mend all relationships and chose not to. No thanks

vCash
    No way i welcome Jagr back even to retire a pen. I know what he did for us but this year ruined it. He could have went anywhere else and it be fine but not them.

vCash
    I think we will have a rather quiet offseason. Pens don't have a whole lot of cap room and have quite a few players under contract anyway. Maybe they will try to trade away a Martin or Milchalek to make room for a Despres or Strait (though I think that will be a tough task). And of course they will probably sign a new version of Steve Sullivan.

Also see them working out deals with Staal and Crosby. Not sure if Niskanen will be back with a strapped cap and a lot of young D men on the way.

vCash
    I think at least one defenseman will be gone, whether it be Niskanen or one of Martin/Michalek. I have a feeling they will want Despres up and with already having 7 defenseman, one needs to go.

The Crosby and Staal talks will be very interesting. I could see Staal staying around 4M but Crosby will be the wildcard. Does he stay at 8.7? Ask for more after last season's pace? Take less for the concussion issues? I will be paying close attention

vCash
    I could see the Pens making a serious offer to Weber or Suter. They would have to dump Martin though. We could go after Denis Wideman, he would be a cheaper option for either Suter or Weber. Matt Carle is leaving Philly after next season, and he is a reliable defender. I would like to see these offers

Weber: 7 million over 4 years or
    Suter: 6-6.5 million over 4 years

If those both fail, maybe offer Wideman and Carle contracts, if we were to trade Martin. The Pens have 54.5 million over 11 forwards, 5 defensemen and a goalie, that is minus Martin's 5 million. Based on cap increases from the last 5 years, the salary cap will go up about 3 million, so they will have 13 million in salary space to do some moves

vCash
    No guarantee the salary cap goes up, in fact considering the CBA expires there is a chance it goes down. Moving one of Martin or Milchalek would be good but will be difficult. I think Martin is near impossible but we will see.

Anyway I gave my opinion on what I think they will do but as for I want them to do: Trade Milchalek (or prefeably Martin), let Niskanen go. Pursue a decent winger, stay at home defensman and a third line center

Neal - Malkin - Kunitz
    FA - Crosby - Staal
    Kennedy - FA - Cooke
    Dupuis - Vitale - Adams * or insert whomever
    Jeffrey

Letang - Orpik
    Martin/Milchalek - Despres
    Engelland - FA (our shut down pairing)
    Lovejoy

Fleury
    Thiessen

vCash
    love sutter and webber but not going to happen a the price is to high for them and while they are great on offense there d is not main point of there game. we need solid d first d men with some gritt net clearing pressence and that play positional hockey and block shots.

we have to many needs to sign high priced free agents besides are own. Bryan Allen and his type of d is what we need. We have 2 d coming from to minors who are offensive d in depres and morrow also.

the removal of martin and Milchalek contracts would be great they have not lived up to billing hal the pylon gill may be brought back for cheap he is older vetran leader who cares little for offense plays d and blocks shots and will clean up in front of his net.

Paul Gaustad would be great addition for same reasons tough defensive forward who plays positional hockey always makes safe solid play not fancy and goes to net and has enough upside on offense he could play wing on top units
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t2a2e9j12 View Post
    love sutter and webber but not going to happen a the price is to high for them and while they are great on offense there d is not main point of there game. we need solid d first d men with some gritt net clearing pressence and that play positional hockey and block shots.

we have to many needs to sign high priced free agents besides are own. Bryan Allen and his type of d is what we need. We have 2 d coming from to minors who are offensive d in depres and morrow also.

the removal of martin and Milchalek contracts would be great they have not lived up to billing hal the pylon gill may be brought back for cheap he is older vetran leader who cares little for offense plays d and blocks shots and will clean up in front of his net.

Paul Gaustad would be great addition for same reasons tough defensive forward who plays positional hockey always makes safe solid play not fancy and goes to net and has enough upside on offense he could play wing on top units
    Shea Weber: 177 hits, 140 blocked shots, +21. He is 6' 4", 236 lbs. How isn't that what we need? He also has an offensive upside, with 19 goals and 49 points. He is the definition of what we need.

Ryan Suter: 46 hits, 116 blocked shots, +15. He is 6' 1", 190 lbs. He is the more offensive player, so i think we would be better off with Weber. He has 7 goals and 46 points.

Maybe we could go for Ladislav Smid. He had 184 hits and 186 blocked shots. The Oilers need a top-2 D that moves the puck well and defends well, and Niskanen can do that. Niskanen is a good young 2-way defender that the Oilers need. Honestly, Martin did so bad because he wasn't paired with Letang. Letang with Martin makes Martin good. He needs to be on the top pair of his team. Michalek needs to be on his way out.
    Last edited by penguins2946; 04-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by penguins2946 View Post
    Shea Weber: 177 hits, 140 blocked shots, +21. He is 6' 4", 236 lbs. How isn't that what we need? He also has an offensive upside, with 19 goals and 49 points. He is the definition of what we need.

Ryan Suter: 46 hits, 116 blocked shots, +15. He is 6' 1", 190 lbs. He is the more offensive player, so i think we would be better off with Weber. He has 7 goals and 46 points.

Maybe we could go for Ladislav Smid. He had 184 hits and 186 blocked shots. The Oilers need a top-2 D that moves the puck well and defends well, and Niskanen can do that. Niskanen is a good young 2-way defender that the Oilers need. Honestly, Martin did so bad because he wasn't paired with Letang. Letang with Martin makes Martin good. He needs to be on the top pair of his team. Michalek needs to be on his way out.
    because he is to expensive ( we have other places To spend that kind of money) and is more of an offesive d man this is not saying he is not awesome and very solid as a d man just with letang and depres and morrow coming along nicely we need defense first d men.
    crap whats is my name

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t2a2e9j12 View Post
    because he is to expensive ( we have other places To spend that kind of money) and is more of an offesive d man this is not saying he is not awesome and very solid as a d man just with letang and depres and morrow coming along nicely we need defense first d men.
    Why not get a D that can do both? Morrow, Despres and Harrington are a few years away, and we need a big body. Also, it is a popular thought that Iginla could be coming in. That would be bad, he is too old and slow

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast