Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Richards' shift vs. Giroux's. Who you got?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mike Richards hustle / diving goal against Montreal

8 47.06%
  • Claude Giroux hammers Crosby / puts one past Fleury

9 52.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Hard to argue against G today......but still I think asking for the first shift and then going out and setting the tempo of the game from the puck drop deserves the top spot.

Besides...rumor has it that Richie didn't dive for the puck, rather he fell because he was still hungover ... Kidding..KIDDIN!!
    Hahaha, this guy.
    The Squads:
    Flyers - Phillies - Eagles - 76ers

...did anyone bring pizza?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    idk if theres weight to the "it was the conference finals/round 3" claim

It was against the Canadians, who the Flyers flat out killed, and almost swept. Wasn't even a fair series, it was complete domination except game 4.

The Giroux shift was in the quarter finals/round 1, but against the biggest cup favorite, who just so happens to be our biggest rival. and dont forget that the Crosby line of the Penguins were scoring on the first shift quite regularly in this series. Idk, considering that, to request a spot in the starting lineup, and to tell his teammates to pay close attention to this shift... thats a leader right there, leading by example.
    Good points. I do think Richards lead by example on his play too. The message was: Hustle, don't be afraid to get dirty, and set the tone for the series. Richie did that. Claude set the tone for the deciding game.

I don't know man. This is tough.
    The Squads:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
    idk if theres weight to the "it was the conference finals/round 3" claim

It was against the Canadians, who the Flyers flat out killed, and almost swept. Wasn't even a fair series, it was complete domination except game 4.

The Giroux shift was in the quarter finals/round 1, but against the biggest cup favorite, who just so happens to be our biggest rival. and dont forget that the Crosby line of the Penguins were scoring on the first shift quite regularly in this series. Idk, considering that, to request a spot in the starting lineup, and to tell his teammates to pay close attention to this shift... thats a leader right there, leading by example.
    Maybe not for you, and that's fine, but it certainly makes a difference to me. Both players sent the exact same message, but for me, there's more pressure to clinch/finish up the ECF. I will say G's goal was prettier, but I think the overall shifts don't even compare.

vCash
    I don't think we need to rank them, and does anybody even call Richie's play in that game "The Shift?" If the name's an issue, let's call this one "The Opening Shift" or "The Shift Where G Put Crosby On His ***."

Some points, though. The dirtiness of Richie's goal is part of what makes that shift so special. Had he scored on a dazzling move, it would've been impressive, but not as fitting or memorable.

Did anyone not think "This man is going to bring us the Cup," when they saw the look on Giroux's face after his goal? Man... "Watch the first shift." That's almost scary.
    [IMG]http://********.com/image.php?u=80452&type=sigpic&dateline=1310177540[/IMG]
    Remember

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodandNails View Post
    I don't think we need to rank them, and does anybody even call Richie's play in that game "The Shift?" If the name's an issue, let's call this one "The Opening Shift" or "The Shift Where G Put Crosby On His ***."

Some points, though. The dirtiness of Richie's goal is part of what makes that shift so special. Had he scored on a dazzling move, it would've been impressive, but not as fitting or memorable.

Did anyone not think "This man is going to bring us the Cup," when they saw the look on Giroux's face after his goal? Man... "Watch the first shift." That's almost scary.
    I've heard Richie's shift against Montreal referred to as "The Shift" a few times actually. And for me this isn't really about ranking 1 and 2, this is about ranking JUST ONE, because "THE Shift" doesn't leave room for two shifts

And I agree, it's that sprawling, diving finish that made Richie's goal so special, but the rest of the shift is all hustle. A play is broken up in the offensive zone and he hustles back into the defensive zone to disrupt the play, creating the turnover that lead to his long-distance outlet pass, all ending with that goal. Awesome.

I ALSO agree that the look on Giroux's face was beyond intense when he scored in the game on Sunday.

Man, I want a cup so badly.
    The Squads:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    Maybe not for you, and that's fine, but it certainly makes a difference to me. Both players sent the exact same message, but for me, there's more pressure to clinch/finish up the ECF. I will say G's goal was prettier, but I think the overall shifts don't even compare.
    I respectfully disagree. Girouxs shift might have been in the first round but it was in a game where we got embarassed the last time we played at home and were in danger of letting the Pens come back from 3-0. The biggest thing for me was that it was in the openning 30 seconds and set the tone for the entire game by getting the crowd and his team into a game that in my mind they quite simply had to win.

The fact that it came against Crosby and was a clean hit after all the dirty cheap shots we took at the hands of Sid and Malkin in that series makes it even more special. Theres nothing like seeing Sidney cry to put a play over the top.
    Last edited by StryderSox; 04-25-2012 at 02:13 PM.

vCash
    I have to give a slight edge to G and this is why.......Richards goal was beyond memorable, but wasn't something they need badly. They were flat out dominating that series and even though they were down at that point most people knew they were still going to win that game. I don't think I spoke with one person then that thought Montreal really had a chance to come back and win that series.

The G play was when this team didn't have as much momentum. They just lost two games and Pittsburgh was a team that could easily come back and win the series. An early goal by Pittsburgh could of sent the people in the stands into a slight panic and given Pittsburgh more confidence to win the game and maybe the series. The hit and goal alone gave the fans and the team the momentum shift right back in their favor. It set the tone for the game when everyone in that building desperately needed it.

I'm not saying they would of lost the game or even the series if he didn't score that goal but it just felt like everyone calmed down a little bit and played more relaxed after that shift.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkey3472 View Post
    I have to give a slight edge to G and this is why.......Richards goal was beyond memorable, but wasn't something they need badly. They were flat out dominating that series and even though they were down at that point most people knew they were still going to win that game. I don't think I spoke with one person then that thought Montreal really had a chance to come back and win that series.

The G play was when this team didn't have as much momentum. They just lost two games and Pittsburgh was a team that could easily come back and win the series. An early goal by Pittsburgh could of sent the people in the stands into a slight panic and given Pittsburgh more confidence to win the game and maybe the series. The hit and goal alone gave the fans and the team the momentum shift right back in their favor. It set the tone for the game when everyone in that building desperately needed it.

I'm not saying they would of lost the game or even the series if he didn't score that goal but it just felt like everyone calmed down a little bit and played more relaxed after that shift.
    Absolutely....it seemed like the whole hockey world was hoping for Pittsburgh to come back and thoguht they would upset the Flyers after embarassing them at home and then winning in Pittsburgh. We lost that game and then we have to beat them at home with the Pens having all the momentum.

Too me the Giroux shift was like the Flyers were on the edge of letting the Pens back into the series and this was Giroux's way of saying "HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL NO!!!!!!!!!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12