Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Arlington, Texas - Home of the Cowboys and Rangers
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock0071 View Post
    I'm not sure if you're liking that idea or not impressed by it lol
    That's drooling, as in he likes it lol

vCash
    I still don't want to anoint Profar as the next big thing...not yet. I know he has talent, but to me he doesn't have the body of a hard-hitting SS (5'11, 165 lbs). Also, some of the projections I've heard have compared his potential to Edgar Renteria (offensively), which I heard a lot when Elvis was a prospect as well.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    I still don't want to anoint Profar as the next big thing...not yet. I know he has talent, but to me he doesn't have the body of a hard-hitting SS (5'11, 165 lbs). Also, some of the projections I've heard have compared his potential to Edgar Renteria (offensively), which I heard a lot when Elvis was a prospect as well.
    Does Pedroia have the body of a hard hitting 2B? Profar will be a similar hitter. It's all about the bat speed. Honestly Profar is just about as sure fire a major leaguer as you can project for a teenager. No concerns there. He'll be a guy that hits .300 with 15-20 homers in the majors. Whether he ends up at SS or 2B for us, those numbers will play at either position. And he will make his debut as a Texas Ranger. He will not be traded.

Martin looks like could end up being a significant piece however come mid season. He is tearing up AAA like he did AA last season. Hopefully he can keep it up into June/July. Would be really good to solidify that CF position and let Hamilton slide into LF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
    Does Pedroia have the body of a hard hitting 2B? Profar will be a similar hitter. It's all about the bat speed. Honestly Profar is just about as sure fire a major leaguer as you can project for a teenager. No concerns there. He'll be a guy that hits .300 with 15-20 homers in the majors. Whether he ends up at SS or 2B for us, those numbers will play at either position. And he will make his debut as a Texas Ranger. He will not be traded.

Martin looks like could end up being a significant piece however come mid season. He is tearing up AAA like he did AA last season. Hopefully he can keep it up into June/July. Would be really good to solidify that CF position and let Hamilton slide into LF.
    Went out and saw him play last night in Frisco and he looked pretty good. Thing is people have to remember he's only 19 and like Andrus will grow into that body with a few more years. Andrus is here until after the '14 season so I don't really see any reason to rush him. Same with Martin unless we have an injury. He'll be the favorite for starting CFer next season for sure.

vCash
    one guy that is rising fast for us is Cody Buckel. I dont get ESPN insider so this is just from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx...=P&season=2012

he has started the 2012 season on fire. He is only in High A ball right now, but if he continues this kind of success, he could move up fast....just thought I would point him out to watch for.

vCash
    Stats for our prospects are updated. And Profar has a 25 game hit streak btw.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
    one guy that is rising fast for us is Cody Buckel. I dont get ESPN insider so this is just from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx...=P&season=2012

he has started the 2012 season on fire. He is only in High A ball right now, but if he continues this kind of success, he could move up fast....just thought I would point him out to watch for.
    Buckel has been sick this year. Expecting a promotion to double A soon, and if he has similar success he will catapult himself into the top 25 as a prospect ala Martin Perez.

Arlington, Texas - Home of the Cowboys and Rangers
    vCash
    Are the two guys we got for Salty projected to ever help the big league club? Or was that pretty much a dump?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBomber41 View Post
    Are the two guys we got for Salty projected to ever help the big league club? Or was that pretty much a dump?
    Haven't heard from them in a while. Probably just a dump. Worth it still imo. Salty was terrible. Only good thing he ever did was hit the game winner on opening day 2010. Rest of the time he was injured or batting .230 lol
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    That weight is from a few years back when he was first signed. He isn't 165 anymore, looks closer to 180 now. Frisco is pretty close to the Metroplex, if you haven't seen this guy in person its definitely worth a trip. What he is doing at 19 is pretty amazing and he looks every part the superstar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBomber41 View Post
    Chris McGuiness is a slugger who struggles with contact. Its doubtful he will be a major leaguer. Roman Mendez has pretty solid stuff, and he could develop into a fairly dominant bullpen arm. I think his ceiling is an 8th inning setup guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin018 View Post
    That weight is from a few years back when he was first signed. He isn't 165 anymore, looks closer to 180 now. Frisco is pretty close to the Metroplex, if you haven't seen this guy in person its definitely worth a trip. What he is doing at 19 is pretty amazing and he looks every part the superstar.
    Certainly don't mean to say he won't turn out to be something, but until he does do something at the big league level, I'm not holding my breath.

There's definitely more to it than size. Sure, you can point out the Pedroia's of the game, but the smaller guys that hit for power are few and far between. Then again, you look at a guy like Elvis who put on the weight and is now listed at 200 lbs., and he's still not going to be a guy that hits a lot of bombs in a season. There are exceptions to every rule, afterall.

I hope he does turn out to be great, but I refuse to get caught up in all the "DVD", Reuben Mateo, Donald Harris, Justin Smoak type prospect hype that I've heard over the years as a Rangers fan...especially before he does something in the bigs.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Being cautious is okay, but Profar is a better prospect than any of those guys. The DVD trio was never that great as prospects (Edinson Volquez was the best of the bunch and he never broke top 40 in MLB prospect rankings). Mateo's leg literally exploded in 2000 otherwise he could have been great. I don't know who Donald Harris is and the jury is still out on Smoak. The keys to Profar game, speed and defense, are things that project exceptionally well to the MLB level. He has a solid bat, but even if he can't hit a lick in the majors he will still be a regular based on those two skills. But he will hit and he will get on base. Make the trek out to Frisco and watch this kid play. You'll be convinced.

vCash
    to me I think Profar is the real deal....I was skeptical at first as I normally am with such highly touted specs, but this guy is moving up fast and even improving as he hits the next level in baseball and you just dont see that happen very often with young guys. He is still only 19 and in AA which I dont even think there are too many 19 year olds in that level and he is playing very well. He is the type of guy you make room for in the organization and so when he is ready to come to the big leagues im sure there will be room for him just like we made room for Andrus. While his value is more as a SS, I think I could see them having him play 2B and moving Kinsler to the OF. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that he would be will to play CF if there is a guy in the minor organization ready to come up and it will improve the team. So that could be an option if Leonys doesnt pan out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
    to me I think Profar is the real deal....I was skeptical at first as I normally am with such highly touted specs, but this guy is moving up fast and even improving as he hits the next level in baseball and you just dont see that happen very often with young guys. He is still only 19 and in AA which I dont even think there are too many 19 year olds in that level and he is playing very well. He is the type of guy you make room for in the organization and so when he is ready to come to the big leagues im sure there will be room for him just like we made room for Andrus. While his value is more as a SS, I think I could see them having him play 2B and moving Kinsler to the OF. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that he would be will to play CF if there is a guy in the minor organization ready to come up and it will improve the team. So that could be an option if Leonys doesnt pan out.
    I can't see Ian as a CF'er, I think he's probably best suited for LF. RF is a possibility after seeing his lazer to the plate yesterday to stop the inside the park HR.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast