Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    As good as Gallo is doing now a lot of scouts are saying he still has some holes in his swing. He power does look pretty impressive so far and he is one to watch. It should be interesting to see how he does against some tougher competition.
    Those same scouts said his hit tool was so raw he would struggle to make any contact right from the start of professional ball, could not catch up to good fastballs and could not hit any half decent breaking ball. Also said he was a strikeout machine that didn't have much of an eye.

Well they've pretty much been wrong on most of those counts. Maybe he does have a hole in his swing, but maybe it's nowhere near as pronounced as scouts have said it is.

Adam Dunn is probably a pretty good comp for him, Dunn put up a .288/.404/.424 slash line in the same league at the same age. Dunn also made lots of contact in the minors and looked like he would hit for a much better average in the majors than he has done.

It is just the start though and rookie league ball, so expectations do need to be tempered.

vCash
    Just out of curiosity, how well did you guys like Villanueva? Any special info on Kendricks?

vCash
    Kendricks might have been a reliever for us eventually. Villanueva is a good prospect but he had no future with the club with Beltre and Olt already here.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how well did you guys like Villanueva? Any special info on Kendricks?
    I had a debate with this dude in the Cubs forum about Kendricks. I was comparing his minor league stats and his stuff to Jered Weaver and a lot of people got their panties in a bunch because they thought I was saying he was the next Weaver. Clearly he isn't, I was just trying to make a point that Kendricks does have a high ceiling but also a low floor.

vCash
    anybody take a notice of Joey Gallo? he has been tearing up rookie ball:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...56&position=3B

ton of power, needs to cut down his strikeout rate, but he actually does have a solid walk rate. If he can continue to improve he could rise fast in our system.

vCash
    Damn. 43 RBI in 43 games.
    @asmarks18
    Texas Rangers
    St. Louis Cardinals
    Dallas Cowboys
    St. Louis Rams
    Dallas Mavericks
    St. Louis Blues
    Texas Tech

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asmarks18 View Post
    Damn. 43 RBI in 43 games.
    Yes but could he keep up that pace in a 162 game schedule?

vCash
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

John Sickels:

Top Rangers Prospects

1) Jurickson Profar, SS, Grade A: Best position prospect in baseball, with outstanding mix of on-base ability, moderate power, speed, excellent defense, superior makeup, and youth.

2) Mike Olt, 3B, Grade A-: Borderline B+. His issues with strikeouts have him right on the A-/B+ edge for me. But the power and defense stand out and will make him valuable even if he doesn't hit for average.

3) Leonys Martin, OF, Grade B: Borderline B+. I might kick him up to B+ depending on where he needs to slot on the Top 50 list. I think the Rangers are right that he will show more power in time and he should hit for average while providing strong defense.

4) Cody Buckel RHP, Grade B: He might not rank as highly on other lists, but the more I study him, the fewer reasons I find NOT to rank him this high. Strike-thrower with excellent makeup, best friends with Trevor Bauer, handled the Texas League just fine at age 20 which is not easy.

5) Justin Grimm, RHP, Grade B: Upside is higher than Buckel's, but he's also four years older and not as polished with his secondary pitches. Can develop into a number three starter with greater consistency to go with 90-94 heat.

6) Luke Jackson, RHP, Grade B: Mid-90s heat but still working on curveball and changeup consistency, performed OK in A-ball but has to improve his command. Could develop into a number two or strong number three starter

7) Martin Perez, LHP, Grade B: I find him very difficult to evaluate. The massive drop in his strikeout rate is quite worrisome. I've seen him on days when he looks like Johan Santana (93-95, killer changeup, very good curveball and slider), and I've seen him on days where it looks like he should be released (87-89, flat breaking balls, dead fish changeups right down the middle). Youth and nice delivery help sustain his status, but I really don' t know what to expect.

8) Rougned Odor, 2B, Grade B: Held his own in the South Atlantic League at age 18. Power/speed mix, strikes me as a guy who is underrated for some reason, perhaps because there are so many infielders in the system

9) Luis Sardinas, SS, Grade B-: Borderline B: Great double play combo with Odor heading for High-A in 2013. Very fast, good defensive tools, hit .291 in Low-A and stole 32 bases, but has less power than Odor and is almost a year older.

10) Jorge Alfaro, C, Grade B-: Grade A tools, Grade C- current skills. Great arm but threw out just 15% of runners. Lots of raw power, but poor contact and plate discipline (16/84 BB/K in 272 at-bats). Turns 20 in June so he is young enough to figure things out, but a perfect example of the high risk/high reward player who could become a star or a Double-A washout.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/...pects-for-2013

John Sickels:

Top Rangers Prospects

1) Jurickson Profar, SS, Grade A: Best position prospect in baseball, with outstanding mix of on-base ability, moderate power, speed, excellent defense, superior makeup, and youth.

2) Mike Olt, 3B, Grade A-: Borderline B+. His issues with strikeouts have him right on the A-/B+ edge for me. But the power and defense stand out and will make him valuable even if he doesn't hit for average.

3) Leonys Martin, OF, Grade B: Borderline B+. I might kick him up to B+ depending on where he needs to slot on the Top 50 list. I think the Rangers are right that he will show more power in time and he should hit for average while providing strong defense.

4) Cody Buckel RHP, Grade B: He might not rank as highly on other lists, but the more I study him, the fewer reasons I find NOT to rank him this high. Strike-thrower with excellent makeup, best friends with Trevor Bauer, handled the Texas League just fine at age 20 which is not easy.

5) Justin Grimm, RHP, Grade B: Upside is higher than Buckel's, but he's also four years older and not as polished with his secondary pitches. Can develop into a number three starter with greater consistency to go with 90-94 heat.

6) Luke Jackson, RHP, Grade B: Mid-90s heat but still working on curveball and changeup consistency, performed OK in A-ball but has to improve his command. Could develop into a number two or strong number three starter

7) Martin Perez, LHP, Grade B: I find him very difficult to evaluate. The massive drop in his strikeout rate is quite worrisome. I've seen him on days when he looks like Johan Santana (93-95, killer changeup, very good curveball and slider), and I've seen him on days where it looks like he should be released (87-89, flat breaking balls, dead fish changeups right down the middle). Youth and nice delivery help sustain his status, but I really don' t know what to expect.

8) Rougned Odor, 2B, Grade B: Held his own in the South Atlantic League at age 18. Power/speed mix, strikes me as a guy who is underrated for some reason, perhaps because there are so many infielders in the system

9) Luis Sardinas, SS, Grade B-: Borderline B: Great double play combo with Odor heading for High-A in 2013. Very fast, good defensive tools, hit .291 in Low-A and stole 32 bases, but has less power than Odor and is almost a year older.

10) Jorge Alfaro, C, Grade B-: Grade A tools, Grade C- current skills. Great arm but threw out just 15% of runners. Lots of raw power, but poor contact and plate discipline (16/84 BB/K in 272 at-bats). Turns 20 in June so he is young enough to figure things out, but a perfect example of the high risk/high reward player who could become a star or a Double-A washout.

I absolutely love our farm system, top 27 players given a rating of no less than C+....which is also why it amazes me how we have not made a big trade with having all that depth it just doesnt make any sense to me....the lack of at least one top flight pitching prospect worries me too, we have a lot of MI's and toolys OF's, but we really dont have those pitchers that can project to be a possible ace. Buckel to me is more of a #2 and Perez at this point IMO doesnt look better than a #4. Thats why I thought us and the Dbacks make great trade partners but they are being very hard headed....Olt, Grimm, Sardinas, Herrera, Beltre for Upton and Skaggs.....I mean that is just a perfect trade to me for both sides, they get holes filled for now and the future in every which way and we get a power replacement and a potential future ace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger82685 View Post
    I absolutely love our farm system, top 27 players given a rating of no less than C+....which is also why it amazes me how we have not made a big trade with having all that depth it just doesnt make any sense to me....the lack of at least one top flight pitching prospect worries me too, we have a lot of MI's and toolys OF's, but we really dont have those pitchers that can project to be a possible ace. Buckel to me is more of a #2 and Perez at this point IMO doesnt look better than a #4. Thats why I thought us and the Dbacks make great trade partners but they are being very hard headed....Olt, Grimm, Sardinas, Herrera, Beltre for Upton and Skaggs.....I mean that is just a perfect trade to me for both sides, they get holes filled for now and the future in every which way and we get a power replacement and a potential future ace.
    This is a real big call-out. The prospects that are ranked around #10 in our system would be the top 2-3 prospects in several systems.

Quest to watch a game in all 30 baseball stadiums, so far I have seen: Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, LA Angels, LA Dodgers, Miami, NY Mets, NY Yankees, Philly, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, St. Louis, San Diego, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Texas, Toronto, Washington

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed Rangers View Post
    This is a real big call-out. The prospects that are ranked around #10 in our system would be the top 2-3 prospects in several systems.
    thats what I am saying...our #7-#14 would easily be about top #3-#10 in a lot of organizations, but because they are lower on our charts with all the depth that we have, it seems like other organizations overlook them and dont view them that highly which kills our trade leverage.

vCash
    What are your thoughts on trade return for Profar? What do you expect to get in return? Obviously, you want to begin the discussion with a starting pitcher...correct?
    "It's like deja-vu, all over again." -Yogi Berra

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T $$$ View Post
    What are your thoughts on trade return for Profar? What do you expect to get in return? Obviously, you want to begin the discussion with a starting pitcher...correct?
    This team has more of a need for a stud in the OF than pitchers. The farm is pitching rich, especially in lower levels

vCash
    excited to see beltre getting a look while gentry's on the DL.
    despite the throw...i'd say so far so good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345