Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 63.49%
  • No

23 36.51%
Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    vCash
    keep in mind Schneider is due for a raise. I doubt the leafs swap money for money in any deal for luo.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    van writer wrote this in the paper

Botchford (writer) also claims there’s an “out clause” in Luongo’s contract for whatever club he plays for eight years into his deal. Having already played two years, Botchford claims whoever acquires Luongo could only be picking up six more years of his deal.

so a six year $37m deal is what it could end up being. would be a 6.714m cap hit but it will only be a 5.33m caphit.

This is deal that, if burke makes, will save his job and possibly be his second best trade while here. As Bob McCown said yesterday, luo gets us into the playoffs and burke has to shut up and swallow his pride and make this deal.

I'm really interested as to what the asking price is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    11 straight seasons with a save % over .910

This season had an even strength save % of .931

You'd be crazy not to
    I agree. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. I don't think it would be that expensive and he's a fantastic goaltender. Sure, maybe he crumbles under the pressure and loses his job to Reimer or Scrivens but the expensive years of his deal are gone and we're the ****ing Leafs, we used to have 90 and 100 million dollar payrolls. We can afford it...

I think it would be like MAX Reimer, Schenn, and a 2nd and then you get an elite goaltender. Carson posted it, 11 straight seasons with a save% over .910, its better than that, 11 straight seaasons with a S% over .913 and the only season he wasn't over that was his first season where he played 24 games for the Islanders. We haven't had a goaltender put up a S% over .910 other than Reimer's half season and JS Aubin's 2/3 weeks on top since Belfour.

Leafs need a number 1 goaltender and Roberto Luongo is EASILY the best on the market and on top of that, he probably won't be that expensive. Tomas Vokoun didn't have a good season and probably doesn't come to Toronto anyway and your next best option is probably Josh Harding...

I would definitely go after Luongo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I agree. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. I don't think it would be that expensive and he's a fantastic goaltender. Sure, maybe he crumbles under the pressure and loses his job to Reimer or Scrivens but the expensive years of his deal are gone and we're the ****ing Leafs, we used to have 90 and 100 million dollar payrolls. We can afford it...

I think it would be like MAX Reimer, Schenn, and a 2nd and then you get an elite goaltender. Carson posted it, 11 straight seasons with a save% over .910, its better than that, 11 straight seaasons with a S% over .913 and the only season he wasn't over that was his first season where he played 24 games for the Islanders. We haven't had a goaltender put up a S% over .910 other than Reimer's half season and JS Aubin's 2/3 weeks on top since Belfour.

Leafs need a number 1 goaltender and Roberto Luongo is EASILY the best on the market and on top of that, he probably won't be that expensive. Tomas Vokoun didn't have a good season and probably doesn't come to Toronto anyway and your next best option is probably Josh Harding...

I would definitely go after Luongo.
    You summed it up greatly. However, I don't know if Schenn would be the centerpiece of this deal. I could seriously see the Canucks wanting a top six forward back..

On the backend, they already have Salo, Edler, Bieksa and Hamhuis. Add in Ballard still, and Gragnani.

I could see Joffrey Lupul, Nikolai Kulemin, and Clarke MacArthur being potential bait.

vCash
    Good I hope no one trades for him and screws Vancouver over.
    Let him stay there and force them to make a tough decision on schneider.
    No way can they manage paying a 10M+ cap hit for 2 goalies with the sedins etc still there.
    I rather just sign Corey

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    No. It's a stupid idea Leafs aren't gonna do it.

Doesn't matter if Lou is good as done in Van City he won't be coming here you think Burke's going to want to eat up a stupid cap hit like that when the pressure of the media and expecations are breathing down his neck everyday?

That doesn't exactly spell a "hey city of Toronto let me trade away a decent asset for a 33 year old goalie who chokes every playoff and who is due 5.3 million until he's 40 years old"

Sorry but that makes zero sense nor would it be smart to do.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    And even if he was here, I wouldn't think he would automatically ensure Toronto going into the playoffs at all. In Vancouver his defense is much better then it is here, and he still chokes every playoff.

Regular season stats are fine but so many other things come into play with him. He's gonna be in Vancouver next season no team, unless one with huge cap room which btw the Leafs don't have much room to work with as it is they have like 7 million in cap space, will take him on.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    He's so good but you wanna trade him Carson lol. Take a good goalie in Lou and put him behind a D group that's been horrible for years as well as a terrible PK and suddenly you've got a below average starting goalie signed into his 40's which is actually the biggest issue I see. Burke doesn't even sign players for more than 5 years, he's not gonna take on that contract.
    No, I want to keep Bobby Lu and trade Schneider

vCash
    Burke would be crazy to not look at the possibility.

I mean how often do you get an available #1 goalie, who has ridiculous reg. season stats, and has a caphit lower then a typical #1 goalie would have AND he could be had at a fraction of the price he would normally be listed at because of his contract.

I cant imagine burke turning that down, even with the contract, this is just falling into burkes lap, then he can trade whatever else he wants for Nash...etc and burke solves the biggest problem with this team.

And everyone keeps saying he chokes, including me (but maybe thats the vancouver hate talking) but he still gets his team to the promise land. And lets face it the entire Vancouver team folds like cheap suits in the playoffs ( van hate). And i think Luo is still an invitee to the team canada camps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    No, I want to keep Bobby Lu and trade Schneider
    what would luo go for?

would you like a Schenn, MacArthur, 2nd for Luo, and Raymond deal.

or like wings said i'd even throw lupul at you guys lmao.

but not kulimen, he's the G.O.A.T.

vCash
    I'm going to have to kind of flip flop from my original post. I guess I wouldn't be that opposed to trading for the guy. But that STRONGLY depends on what the price would be. I was taking a hard look at other goalies that may be available via trade and at the FA market and there's not one goaltender out there with Lou's credentials or skill set. So I guess would deal for him depending apon the price because that's my main issue. I softened my stance on his contract too, although that is a huge issue. I don't think any of us can look into a crystal ball and know what the deal will be with this team and wehere we'll be at 3 years down the road let alone 10.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 04-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    I personally don't think Bobby Lou's skill set is the issue...he would be a huge upgrade on what the Leafs have now. The issues I see come strictly from his contract. The length of his contract and his NTC are two reasons why I don't see him playing in Toronto. He has the right to chose where he plays next year through his NTC. Does he waive it to come to a team that has been a mess for 7 plus years now? I highly doubt it. He wants to win a Cup and will go to a Cup contender. The other part of his contract that will prevent him from becoming a Leaf is the term. We all know how Burke feels about contracts over 5 years. Bobby Lou under a different contract would work (remove NTC and term). It's funny how many rumors like this get started when a star has an off year in the playoffs. I guess the Leaf sports writers have to earn their money some how, so why not link every player to Toronto because we know how much Leaf fans love rumors even if they are unrealistic ones.
    Last edited by Lavy16; 04-20-2012 at 02:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I personally don't think Bobby Lou's skill set is the issue...he would be a huge upgrade on what the Leafs have now. The issues I see come strictly from his contract. The length of his contract and his NTC are two reasons why I don't see him playing in Toronto. He has the right to chose where he plays next year through his NTC. Does he waive it to come to a team that has been a mess for 7 plus years now? I highly doubt it. He wants to win a Cup and will go to a Cup contender. The other part of his contract that will prevent him from becoming a Leaf is the term. We all know how Burke feels about contracts over 5 years. Bobby Lou under a different contract would work (remove NTC and term). It's funny how many rumors like this get started when a star has an off year in the playoffs. I guess the Leaf sports writers have to earn their money some how, so why not link every player to Toronto because we know how much Leaf fans love rumors even if they are unrealistic ones.
    The bolded is the only major reason why, if i were luo, i wouldnt come here. The guy already has a rap as a choker, and if i had that tag i wouldn't go somewhere that i had to single-handedly carry the team to the playoffs let alone go deep. If i were luo, philly would have been the perfect spot for him to go but bryz has that spot now. NJ has been rumoured to maybe look at luo, and that would be a better fit imo.

Hopefully the allaire connection is the determining factor and he loves the idea of playing here, but those chances are very slim.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    If I were Lou and there wasn't a contender who was interested in me, I'd then look for the warmest climate to play on. Tampa Bay would be very high on my list of teams and with a goalie like lou the Lightning would be a playoff team.

vCash
    Having family in Florida doesn't hurt either.

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast