Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VillaMaravilla View Post
    this Rip was a 3rd basemen playing ss and really his only claim to fame is his playing streaj other then that if he would of played his real posistion(3rd base) he would of been above avg............Jeter all the way half these guys im sure never saw Cal play
    When trying to say Jeter is better than anyone bringing up defense is lulzy
    Leave me alone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock Me View Post
    Figured this would be a hate on Jeter thread...It may be Jeter or maybe Ripken, depends how you value HRs, Ave, and SB...either way it is not either by a lot...thats just silly
    Where is anyone hating on jeter? Just because someone doesn't believe a NY player is as good as NY fans think they are, doesn't mean they're hating on them.

vCash
    ZOMG Jeter knows how to WIN!!!!!!!!! Hes so gritty and ****. Totally makes him the best player ever

vCash
    Cal Ripken Jr. Jeter isn't even close to him power-wise.

Althought it may not be fair to compare them both as SS's since Ripken seemed to spend about half of his career at 3B.

vCash
    Jeter easy and yes im a BIG Yankee fan but the kid is just a winner and a leader and yes I saw Rip play but still I go with DJ, hes done it on a bigger stage with much more pressure all Ripken is known for is being a douche and playing without taking a day off....
    It's fine you chose Jeter, but if the latter part of your post is your argument, then, I don't know, lol? I guess?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    I had a feeling ripken was going to get more votes. Im surprised nobody has mentioned his 2 mvps.

Jeter's career batting avg and OB% is 40 points higher, over 300 more SBs, most hits and runs in post season history by far....
    You need to adjust for the time they played in. In Ripken's time the hitters had lower OBP's and SLG's. Throw that adjustment in there, then Ripken's extra PT, and superior glove, and that's why most people pick Ripken.

SB's do not count near as much as defense, and the post season has a lot to do with the team, and Jeter's post season hitting numbers are not nearly as great as NYY fans puff them to be.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    I had a feeling ripken was going to get more votes. Im surprised nobody has mentioned his 2 mvps.

Jeter's career batting avg and OB% is 40 points higher, over 300 more SBs, most hits and runs in post season history by far....
    I'm willing to let a lot of things slide and give people benefit of the doubt when it comes to throwing around junk stats, but RUNS?! You're going to use RUNS as a measure of anything?!

vCash
    This is a good comparison to make.

Jeter is a slightly better hitter, but Ripken tears him a new one defensively.

Honestly, Jeter should have been moved from Short a long time ago, and defense is really too important at shortstop, so I'll go Ripken.

Offensively you have to give Jeter the advantage, but it isn't huge. Ripken rips him a part offensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeznWingz View Post
    The fact that Jeter gave up his position in the All Star game IMO, says even Jeter thinks Ripken was better.
    That was A-Rod that gave up SS to Ripken... look at the symbolism... funny how the world works... there is literally one town that A-Rod could've moved to that would result in him moving from SS (at least that soon) and he was traded there.

I really wish I could say they were tied, but if I'm giving an edge to someone, Cal wins by a hair. Jeter slightly better offensively, Cal much better defensively.

The streak was impressive and a cool feat/stat but I really think it hurt his team on more than a few occasions and clearly took a lot out of him and took its toll on him. Very few good years after age 30 and a after June, his stats were always declining.
    Last edited by NJBASEBALL22; 04-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    Suck it

vCash
    this Rip was a 3rd basemen playing ss and really his only claim to fame is his playing streaj other then that if he would of played his real posistion(3rd base) he would of been above avg............Jeter all the way half these guys im sure never saw Cal play

Ripken was a SS. That was his "real position". He came up as a utility guy who could play both and split time between 3B and SS his first two seasons. However, when he was playing SS his fielding was worlds better, sabr or standard. When he went back to 3B, his numbers dropped off again.

Had he stayed at SS, his fielding numbers would have been even better than they were (and as they are, they tear Jeter a new *******).

Oh, and just for the record, I grew up in Northern Virginia going to Orioles games at Camden yards because they were my home team. Everyone I knew growing up was an Orioles fan except for my two closest friends who were White Sox and Red Sox fans respectively. Everyone I grew up playing ball with was an Orioles fan. Everyone was a Ripken fan (except for this girl Jennifer, who was a Brady Anderson fan bc he was dreamy). I have so much Ripken memorabilia from games as a kid, that I don't know what to do with it all.

So, how is that for "half of these guys never saw Rip play"?

vCash

Ripken or Jeter?

Who was the better player and had the better career?

vCash
    Ripken

Jeter was the better hitter, and Ripken the better fielder, but it's by a lot.

vCash
    Enough with the subjective meanderings.

Players slash in their own time, followed by +/- to lg average, OPS+

Ripken: .276/.340/.447 : +.012/+.009/+.039 : 112 - Ripken played a full year at age 40

Jeter: .313/.382/.448 : +.058/+.044/+.013 : 117 - as of now Jeter's last PA was at age 38

If we cut Ripken's career after his yr 38 season, we get:

.278/.344/.451 - +.014/+.013/+.044 OPS+ 115

How anyone can claim Jeter is clearly a better hitter is beyond me, or they didn't bother to look up the players in their time.

Ripken was a MUCH better defensive SS than Jeter, and a good defensive 3B (+181 runs saved above average fielder (+176 at SS - 3rd highest since 1954)) - while Jeter is a pathetic -229 runs below average. By far the worst of any SS in the top 25 all time.

Ripken was clearly a better player.

p.s. I couldn't locate SS numbers alone for these comparisons, so I had to use lg average. There is no doubt whatever that there were more great/good hitting SS's in Jeter's time (AROD, Nomar, etc.) so if I could locate those numbers, they would be higher in Jeters time than Ripken's (although he has 3B to deal with which has higher numbers than SS) giving further evidence on how Jeter is not only NOT better, but might be a lesser hitter than Ripken in their respective times.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 06-10-2013 at 11:45 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

p.s. I couldn't locate SS numbers alone for these comparisons, so I had to use lg average. There is no doubt whatever that there were more great/good hitting SS's in Jeter's time (AROD, Nomar, etc.) so if I could locate those numbers, they would be higher in Jeters time than Ripken's (although he has 3B to deal with which has higher numbers than SS) giving further evidence on how Jeter is not only NOT better, but might be a lesser hitter than Ripken in their respective times.
    Ripken was a shortstop from 81-96

The league average shortstop hit - .255/.310/.350 - 82 OPS+ in about 320,000 PA (Ripken is 10k of those)
    Ripken hit - .277/.345/.454 - 117 OPS+, in 10,000 PA

And while a third basemen, from 97-01
    He hit - .272/.322/.423 - 95 OPS+
    League average was .268/.337/.430 - 96 OPS+

So he was just below average as a hitter at third (but was good defensively), and was miles ahead of anyone else at short.

Jeter has hit .313/.382/.448 - 117 OPS+ in a more offensive friendly era than Ripken's
    The league average shortstop has hit .267/.324/.390 - OPS+ 88

So maybe Jeter wasn't that much better of a hitter as I originally assumed.

Meanwhile, Ripken spanks Jeter defensively. Badly. Like worse than you'd spank a prostitute.

vCash
    Ripken had a great long career which is what ultimately defines his greatness, but damn his 1991 season. He had a 11.5 WAR year in the 90s. During a time when everyone trained. It was racially integrated. People were using PED's.

Wow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast