Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cal Ripken Jr vs Derek Jeter

Had this debate with a friend.....Cal could do more on the field with his power, he got 2 MVPs, but Jeter is playing so well into his late 30s staying at SS, and he has more rings and post season accolades. Their IQ on the field and intangibles are as good as it gets.

It might not be fair, but who is the better all time SS?

vCash
    Cal Ripken Jr
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: Disappointing regular season, hoping for good things in 2015.
    Indianapolis Colts: 5-2, Week 8 vs. Steelers
    Dallas Mavericks: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 4-1-0, games this week vs. Toronto, New Jersey, Chicago

vCash
    I like Ripkin more but I'll admit my bias against Jeter might be clouding my judgement.

vCash
    I hate the Yankees, but still have an incredibly high amount of respect for Jeter.

However, I do believe its Ripken and I don't believe its that close.

vCash
    Jeter and thats that.......Biatches

vCash
    only rings matter on PSD, so jeter is 5 times better than cal
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    If you want to go by WAR,
    Jeter-70.4 in 17 seasons
    Ripken-89.9 in 21 seasons.

Jeter has the better OPS, .833 to Ripkens .788.

vCash
    I would like to have seen what Ripken could have done hitting in the lineup Jeter has been privileged to hit in. I don't like Jeter, but I won't take anything away from him...he is a great SS. Still, I think Ripken is the better of the two.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    poll?
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Squibble Squabble

vCash
    Ripken probably could have put up better numbers had he not played every.single.****ing.day

vCash
    Ripken, and it's really not even that close in my mind. He's a much more tremendous defense on the field in terms of consistency, and his bat had more pop, plus the whole consecutive games played thing kind of plays a part in this for me also

BULLS PLAYOFF PUSH 2014!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    If you want to go by WAR,
    Jeter-70.4 in 17 seasons
    Ripken-89.9 in 21 seasons.

Jeter has the better OPS, .833 to Ripkens .788.
    But Jeter only had 8 years at/above 4.5 rWAR (8.0, 7.8, 6.3, 6.1, 5.6, 5.5, 4.6, 4.6)
    Ripken had 9 years at/above 4.5: (11.0, 9.2, 8.3, 7.0, 6.6, 6.1, 6.0, 4.7, 4.5)

So Ripken's peak is a bit longer, and heavier with elite years (4 vs 7 above 6.0)

Ripken played through age 41, Jeter has a few years to go, no telling when the decline hits him hard.

In Jeter's time the league OPS is .029 above Ripken's time.

Ripken was clearly a better fielder, although Jeter was a better baserunner (not as important). Ripken more of a slugger, Jeter more of an OBP guy.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 04-19-2012 at 03:01 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    They are both incredibly durable and consistent, they know where the ball is going before it is pitched, great base runners.

THe thing that amazes me about Jeter is he has been so consistent for so long and he plays deep into the playoffs just about every year, and he is barely showing a sign of slowing down.

Say what you want about his lineup but Jeter is one of the most prolific players in post season history, excelling at the highest level of competition with pressure, that for me puts Jeter on top, but it is very close...

vCash
    Ripken easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain City View Post
    THe thing that amazes me about Jeter is he has been so consistent for so long and he plays deep into the playoffs just about every year, and he is barely showing a sign of slowing down.

Say what you want about his lineup but Jeter is one of the most prolific players in post season history, excelling at the highest level of competition with pressure, that for me puts Jeter on top, but it is very close...
    Jeter is far from his peak of the late 90's. His 3 year peak was Nomar's 3 year peak, and Nomar was easily better. The best SS in the Majors in a hundred years is on the Yankees, but he plays 3B. Only rose colored glasses could hide how far Jeters fielding has dropped.

Jeter's "clutch" hitting in the post season is a myth. He's quite close to his regular season stats. His fielding is the thing I notice picks up. If he played his whole career for KC, he's about 1/3 as famous as he is. Don't ever forget that.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast