Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Nice thread, I was wondering when this type of topic would come up. I think at this stage obviously, its too premature to make a declaration like that as Melo is only about a year into his tenure with the Knicks. But I've been watching these guys since the late 80's--when players such as Trent Tucker, Mark Jackson and Kiki Vandeweghe used to roam the hallowed grounds of MSG and I could tell you definitively this is the most talented player to ever play for the Knickerbockers.

I have him being a much more skilled player than any of the greats- that includes anyone from those championship teams to the defensive powerhouses in the 90's.

Ewing, to me, is the greatest Knick ever and I never understood how it could be debated when you speak of the greatest talent in NY who always left everything on the floor. Not his fault his team was garbage, he had 2 CBA players that started and way over the hill types like Glenn Rivers and Derek Harper and a very overrated Charles Smith (who was actually really good earlier in his career with the Clippers.)

I will say I read someones post before who said no one dominated Ewing and that's not true. Shaq had his # all day everyday; I'm almost positive Patrick never did better than Shaq statistically when they faced each other. Shaq was just way too big in the mid 90's and he used to treat Ewing like a ragdoll. I hate to say it so bluntly, but it's true.

Now Ewing never had talent even remotely close to what we have now, so his accolades are that much more impressive based on the fact he was going toe to toe annually with the greatest team of all time and always making a tough, competitive series out of it.

To me Ewing is the greatest Knick of all time and probably the most complete (his defense was other worldly,) but Melo is definitely the most talented player and now his skillset is being maximized to the point where if he continues his torrid stretch, there might be a need to re-evaluate this poll in a few years.
    Last edited by Dankster; 04-19-2012 at 12:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbellz3o8 View Post
    Earl "The Pearl" Monroe
    Patrick Ewing
    Willis Reed
    Bernard King
    Allan Houston
    Clyde

Would all like to have a word with you.
    Basically that list -- except I'll never jump on the Allan Houston bandwagon.

Props to him for getting that ridiculous contract -- but he just never was tough enough for me coming off the teams of the 90's.

Now... if Melo gets a ring as a Knick? That should change a lot of lists... Mine first.
    you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to -pink floyd

1/23/14: This "team" is irreparably damaged

My Solution: Shut the team down until ALL current contracts expire. If players / coaches / execs can find jobs elsewhere - let them go get new contracts and cut ties completely.

Wait ~5years and relaunch as an expansion team.

Bring back 2 people -- no more, no less. 1: Walt Frazier 2: Herb Williams [Honorable Mention: Mike Breen]

vCash
    Melo is the most talented WING player we've ever had. As far as greatest Knick ever... NOT EVEN in the discussion so STOP IT.

Originally Posted by Mbellz3o8
    Earl "The Pearl" Monroe
    Patrick Ewing
    Willis Reed
    Bernard King
    Allan Houston
    Clyde

I'd even go as far as to add Latrell Sprewell to that list.
    AS MJ WOULD SAY " IS THIS SIGNATURE IN VIOLATION NOW..."

"Isiah's about as safe as me in a room full of cookies, If I'm in a room full of cookies the cookies ain't got no chance." --- Sir Charles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post

I'd even go as far as to add Latrell Sprewell to that list.
    Man... Latrell? I loved that guy -- despite all those Cosby Sweaters.

I mean - back then -- who didn't want to choke PJ?
    you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to -pink floyd

1/23/14: This "team" is irreparably damaged

My Solution: Shut the team down until ALL current contracts expire. If players / coaches / execs can find jobs elsewhere - let them go get new contracts and cut ties completely.

Wait ~5years and relaunch as an expansion team.

Bring back 2 people -- no more, no less. 1: Walt Frazier 2: Herb Williams [Honorable Mention: Mike Breen]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mbellz3o8 View Post
    Earl "The Pearl" Monroe
    Patrick Ewing--Agreed, greatest Knick ever.

Willis Reed--Nope, great leader but fortunate enough to be surrounded by a bunch of the 50 greatest NBA players.

Bernard King--Love him, watched him later on with the Bullets but was mired by injuries, thus his resume is somewhat incomplete

Allan Houston--are you serious??? This guy was a complete joke and I wish we let him rot out in Detroit and Patrick never went to recruit him..Jesus how our fortune could've been different.

Clyde--Great all around player but, like Reed, has the luxury of playing with a bunch of top 50 great NBA players

Those championship teams resembled the Detroit Piston team that won it in I believe 2004? No super scorer averaging 30 ppg, rather they implemented a very tough defensive strategy and great ball movement offensively. They had the perfect mix of bruisers (Reed, Bradley, Dave Deb.,) and effective scorers (Frazier, Pearl and Reed.) Individually, I don't see any of them aside from King holding a candle to Carmelo's overall level of talent. TBH, it's really not even that close.

You can make a claim for Pat just because of the length of his dominance in NY and the fact that man was a defensive juggernaut (never got enough recognition for that since he played during the time of Hakeem/Mark Eaton/Manut Bol/Dikembe Mutombo,) and quite possibly the greatest shooting center ever (can make an argument for Hakeem also.)
    Last edited by Dankster; 04-19-2012 at 12:13 PM.

vCash
    you guys dont see Melo demanding a double team like every night?? The guy is unguardable! We don't have many players like him in this league or even in this decade for that matter. Only Kobe and Jordan were more complete when I come to think about it. And as far as championships go, a star gets as far as his supporting cast can take him. Reason why Patrick is the greatest Knick but doesn't have a ring but Clyde has two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post
    Those championship teams resembled the Detroit Piston team that won it in I believe 2004? No super scorer averaging 30 ppg, rather they implemented a very tough defensive strategy and great ball movement offensively. They had the perfect mix of bruisers (Reed, Bradley, Dave Deb.,) and effective scorers (Frazier, Pearl and Reed.) Individually, I don't see any of them aside from King holding a candle to Carmelo's overall level of talent. TBH, it's really not even that close.

You can make a claim for Pat just because of the length of his dominance in NY and the fact that man was a defensive juggernaut (never got enough recognition for that since he played during the time of Hakeem/Mark Eaton/Manut Bol/Dikembe Mutombo,) and quite possibly the greatest shooting center ever (can make an argument for Hakeem also.)
    How dare you throw shots at my boy Allan Houston that man took us to the NBA finals with just Sprewell as real support. You look at Lebron, Wade and Bosh fall short to Dallas but i will bet you anything that if you gave Houston any of those three from Miami, that the Knicks would have a chip. I never use two of these in one post but you earned it

vCash
    I never once doubted Melo show me where i did and ill send u a check for 100$

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BklynKnicks3 View Post
    Melo more then just great scorer, Very good passer,Great rebounder for a sf, His defense is good enough and the leadership qualities are improving daily
    Carmelo Anthony is 51st in the league in Assists and 56th in the league in rebounding. I don't know how you'd call any of those positions "great." Lebron James is 17th in assists and 29th in rebounding. Don't forget that Melo's scoring and efficiency is behind that of Lebron as well. Oh yeah, Lebron's has also playing DPOY caliber defense all year long.

Melo's passing is worse than Kobe's. I don't know how you figure he's a very good passer. The rebounding is good for his position. He's top 10 as a SF but wouldn't crack the top 25 in PF rebounding, which is where he plays now.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Let him get some deep playoff runs and big time W's for us before you anoint him king over everyone who's played since the 50s for this team, guys with their jerseys retired, a slew of top 50 all time players, NBA champions, all time Knick scorers, and dudes who beat freakin' Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West in the NBA finals.
    I would agree. This thread is pretty disrespectful to those who brought championships and banners to our city. I don't know how people could suddenly discount the works of Oakley, Ewing, and Frazier. Melo isn't the leader of this team, it's Tyson. Melo might be the most talented player on our current roster, but in terms of effort, consistency, and leadership, he's not even close to the top.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msc43 View Post
    Carmelo Anthony is 51st in the league in Assists and 56th in the league in rebounding. I don't know how you'd call any of those positions "great." Lebron James is 17th in assists and 29th in rebounding. Don't forget that Melo's scoring and efficiency is behind that of Lebron as well. Oh yeah, Lebron's has also playing DPOY caliber defense all year long.

Melo's passing is worse than Kobe's. I don't know how you figure he's a very good passer. The rebounding is good for his position. He's top 10 as a SF but wouldn't crack the top 25 in PF rebounding, which is where he plays now.

I would agree. This thread is pretty disrespectful to those who brought championships and banners to our city. I don't know how people could suddenly discount the works of Oakley, Ewing, and Frazier. Melo isn't the leader of this team, it's Tyson. Melo might be the most talented player on our current roster, but in terms of effort, consistency, and leadership, he's not even close to the top.
    I don't think no one is disrespecting what the others have done in the past, but Melo for the first time in a long time gives us a legitimate chance with the roster we have now at full strength to compete for a title. And he himself is right now the most unguardable player in the league.

vCash
    As far as talent goes, without a doubt Melo is the best player the knicks have ever had. I think Melo is the best player in the league right now so i think after he wins us a ring this year he would have to be considered the best knick ever. Melo will become the new Jordan of the league we are so lucky to have him!!!
    Knicks and 49ers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PJAF View Post
    What are you smoking? TMac couldn't carry Kobe's jock strap.
    I hope you're joking, because T-Mac's best season was better than Kobe's best. Doesn't mean he's necessarily better, but to say McGrady "couldn't carry Kobe's jock strap" is ignorant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Knicks View Post
    As far as talent goes, without a doubt Melo is the best player the knicks have ever had. I think Melo is the best player in the league right now so i think after he wins us a ring this year he would have to be considered the best knick ever. Melo will become the new Jordan of the league we are so lucky to have him!!!
    ray: Please let this post be sarcastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post

I sort of agree with the bold but you gotta include Frazier in there. He was an all NBA defender, elite PG, he was the all star MVP and dropped 39-17 in game 7 of the NBA finals. When you can outshine the best of the best in an all-star game that says a lot about you individually, when you put up staggering #s in game 7 of the NBA finals, that also says a lot about you individually. Clyde might be one of the most underrated players of all time. When people mention the greatest PGs his name is hardly even mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietmoney View Post
    you guys dont see Melo demanding a double team like every night?? The guy is unguardable! We don't have many players like him in this league or even in this decade for that matter. Only Kobe and Jordan were more complete when I come to think about it. And as far as championships go, a star gets as far as his supporting cast can take him. Reason why Patrick is the greatest Knick but doesn't have a ring but Clyde has two.
    Agree that you need the team, but demanding the most double teams or even being the best offensive player in Knick history (which still belongs to King) doesn't make you the best player. As of right now, even with his short career, King is still the best offensive Knick. Melo keeps doing what he's doing he'll be there shortly but you can't anoint him king after 2 weeks of stellar play.

Bernard took the '84 Champion Celtics to 7 games literally by himself. He had back to back 50 point games. Dropped 60 on Christmas day. Dropped 44 in the deciding game over Isiah's Pistons in '84. Melo has a long way until he is considered even just the best offensive player in NYK history.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    The true king of NYC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhSih...eature=related

Not yet, Melo has to dethrone BK

Man their games are so similar

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast