Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

An idea to resolve how the draft rewards mediocrity

As we know, there is a structural flaw in the way teams receive their lottery chances... and a lack of reward in winning a championship.

In my opinion, the championship, and #1 overall draft pick should go together. Reward the team that does the best... in a tangible, team benefitting way.

So yes, this year, Miami should have draft rights to AD. OKC to the #2 and so on so forth. No lottery, no luck. The better you do, the higher your draft pick.

Yes maybe good teams will get better.

To counter this, when a team such as Cleveland or Toronto loses an all star to free agency, they are given compensation picks by Miami.. the number of which is determined by the tier of player lost, much like the system in place for baseball. Quantitatively determine the tier of a Lebron or KD, vs that of a Bosh. That way, the team that loses their player, benefits from the other team's success.

For example with Miami acquiring Bosh/Lebron.

Lebron = Tier 1 = Two years of first picks. (Mia's 2012 & 2013 1st pick)
    Bosh = Tier 2 = 1 Yr of draft pick. (Mia's 2011 1st pick)

The player that signed first was Bosh. Last year, Miami finished second. Toronto gets the 2nd pick in the 2011 draft (Dallas would have gotten Kyrie.)

Lebron signed after. Miami won the title this year. Cavs get #1 pick i.e. Davis. As well as the pick equivalent of where Miami finishes next year.

And this is where OKC would have put their team together 'the right way'. Keeping high picks, and being competitive. While Miami could win as many titles, and not a high draft pick come their way.

I believe that this will make the league more competitive, encourage an even playing field, deter teams from forming overly superteams through FA, and most of all... eliminate the tanking mentality.

In my opinion, this problem needs to be remedied, even if not by the means I just mentioned.

Share your opinions!

Edit: Look, a championship team will attract free agents on the cheap. Look at Payton and Malone. Same thing with Mia. I for one, actually believe, that such teams may be more willing to part with their prospects (maybe not on a year when the next MJ is slated to arrive) because they are in compete mode. Not develop mode. So a rebuilding team could offer a competing team a package of established players for their rookie.

Just wanted to add, that most here are assuming that top pick will go to Mia or OKC or the Lakers.
    What if was Dallas, or the Bulls, or San Antonio, or Boston got it? Clippers? Memphis?
    Lets say Boston got #4 this year. And they wanted to push Mia... they could trade that #4 for veterans... they could take that gamble. So, it becomes an arms race at the top. Would Mia have to make similar moves with the only expendable asset they possess? It puts them in a situation to choose between current and future talent. And they could potentially offload their rookies to rebuilding teams for veterans to compete with Boston who just got 'right now' value for their #4.

And, because of the compensation system, when these rebuilding teams net a player of potential.. they can develop, AND keep him. Or her, if it's Bosh.
    Last edited by brebre82; 08-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.

lol no thank you.

What chance do you have to compete if you're rebuilding and cant get a free agent to commit. Normally you'd build through the draft, but now you need to bank on getting a steal all-star with the 30th overall pick? First round picks would never be traded by top teams, making it even harder to rebuild.

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you're crazy.
    Go Knicks!

All time

Lol what a terrible idea

lol the league would die in 3 years if you did this. no offense dude but this is just REALLY bad

Quote Originally Posted by brebre82 View Post
    As we know, there is a structural flaw in the way teams receive their lottery chances... and a lack of reward in winning a championship.

In my opinion, the championship, and #1 overall draft pick should go together. Reward the team that does the best... in a tangible, team benefitting way.

So yes, this year, Miami should have draft rights to AD. OKC to the #2 and so on so forth. No lottery, no luck. The better you do, the higher your draft pick.

Yes maybe good teams will get better.

To counter this, when a team such as Cleveland or Toronto loses an all star to free agency, they are given compensation picks by Miami.. the number of which is determined by the tier of player lost, much like the system in place for baseball. Quantitatively determine the tier of a Lebron or KD, vs that of a Bosh. That way, the team that loses their player, benefits from the other team's success.

And this is where OKC would have put their team together 'the right way'. Keeping high picks, and being competitive. While Miami could win as many titles, and not a high draft pick come their way.

I believe that this will make the league more competitive, encourage an even playing field, deter teams from forming overly superteams through FA, and most of all... eliminate the tanking mentality.

In my opinion, this problem needs to be remedied, even if not by the means I just mentioned.

Share your opinions!

Edit: This is a simple idea, not completely original. And that it why is so baffling how the NBA does not implement a similar system.
    Except within 5 years there will be no all-stars anywhere but on the top teams (because obviously not all top picks turn into all-stars). Thank God you have no say in how the league is run, because this would kill it. One of the stupidest ideas I've read on the NBA forum, and that's a serious accomplishment.

(of course you're entitled to your opinion and at least presented it well, but come on...)
    Last edited by JLynn943; 08-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Technically it makes sense and works on paper. Toronto and Cleveland would get high picks in 2011 and 2012 so since Miami came 2nd last year Cleveland would get 2 (not Kyrie) and Toronto might get 5? This year Cleveland would get 1 (AD) and Toronto would get 5ish again? But that's only for a S&T, can they really make a team give up picks to a team if the player simply leaves as a FA? I don't think so. Then you might have the Heat getting (AD) this year because they didn't do a S&T (hypothetically)

I don't think it could work in the NBA tho
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    Jimmer still being BLACK BALLED by the illuminati/homeboys...
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    If Jimmer were to be given free reign offensively, the team would basically quit on the organization out of jealousy and envy. The white man is the minority in this game and the black players will be damned if the white man shows him up at his own game. Similar situation happening with Kevin Love, the team has to surround him with foreigners and whites because black players won't succumb to the greatness that is Kevin Love.

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    lol no thank you.

What chance do you have to compete if you're rebuilding and cant get a free agent to commit. Normally you'd build through the draft, but now you need to bank on getting a steal all-star with the 30th overall pick? First round picks would never be traded by top teams, making it even harder to rebuild.

You're of course entitled to your opinion, but I think you're crazy.
    I might be
    But the thing here is: If you do land your star... you have a higher chance of retaining him.

The teams will no longer trade picks, but give them up when they sign a FA that falls into the all star category. And if, according to you, the top teams do not want to lose that pick... it will reduce the chances of them signing top free agents. That way, mediocre teams will maintain their core, instead of building around one player, and having what they build over the past few years blow up on them when they guys decides to leave. I think this way rebuilding will be accelerated, simply because you can concentrate on rebuilding without worrying about losing your centerpiece.

HAHAHAHAHAHA If you read past the first sentence idk what to tell you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JLynn943 View Post
    Except within 5 years there will be no all-stars anywhere but on the top teams (because obviously not all top picks turn into all-stars). Thank God you have no say in how the league is run, because this would kill it. One of the stupidest ideas I've read on the NBA forum, and that's a serious accomplishment.

(of course you're entitled to your opinion and at least presented it well, but come on...)
    And you are as well. But kindly explain as to why you think there won't be any all stars except the top teams

Quote Originally Posted by NoahH View Post
    Technically it makes sense and works on paper. Toronto and Cleveland would get high picks in 2011 and 2012 so since Miami came 2nd last year Cleveland would get 2 (not Kyrie) and Toronto might get 5? This year Cleveland would get 1 (AD) and Toronto would get 5ish again? But that's only for a S&T, can they really make a team give up picks to a team if the player simply leaves as a FA? I don't think so. Then you might have the Heat getting (AD) this year because they didn't do a S&T (hypothetically)

I don't think it could work in the NBA tho
    No, actually what I meant was.. for example with Miami and Bosh/Lebron.

Lebron = Tier 1 = Two years of first picks. (Mia's 2012 & 2013 1st pick)
    Bosh = Tier 2 = 1 Yr of draft pick. (Mia's 2011 1st pick)

So, the player that signed first was Bosh. Last year, Miami finished second. Toronto gets the 2nd pick in the draft... Dallas would have gotten Kyrie.

Lebron signed after. Miami won the title this year. Cavs get #1 pick i.e. Davis. As well as the pick equivalent of where Miami finishes next year.

As a fan of a rebuilding team, I can see the benefit in such a scheme.
    Last edited by brebre82; 08-01-2012 at 01:28 PM.

i like it

cue the "says a laker fan" comment
    NBA SIM LEAGUE GM

Los Angeles Lakers
    1995-1996: 51-31
    1996-1997: 51-31

Quote Originally Posted by LakersIn5 View Post
    i like it

cue the "says a laker fan" comment
    Thanks man... I was starting to worry that I may be an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by brebre82 View Post
    I might be
    But the thing here is: If you do land your star... you have a higher chance of retaining him.

The teams will no longer trade picks, but give them up when they sign a FA that falls into the all star category. And if, according to you, the top teams do not want to lose that pick... it will reduce the chances of them signing top free agents. That way, mediocre teams will maintain their core, instead of building around one player, and having what they build over the past few years blow up on them when they guys decides to leave. I think this way rebuilding will be accelerated, simply because you can concentrate on rebuilding without worrying about losing your centerpiece.
    While that does make it at least more enticing, if a team cannot somehow land an all star, then they are screwed. The league was lose a ton of teams while 5 teams just become incredible lol.
    Go Knicks!

All time

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIcedZ View Post
    While that does make it at least more enticing, if a team cannot somehow land an all star, then they are screwed. The league was lose a ton of teams while 5 teams just become incredible lol.
    I'm actually thinking from a rebuilding perspective. I think the opposite, actually. I don't think a small of teams will be incredible... because right now Free Agency is determining the formation of super teams. If you make them pay a price, they will be less inclined to mortgage their future. And if you read my previous post... it's a long term mortgage.

I feel that sometimes we think too much for bottom of the barrel teams. What about the teams in the middle? Are they not entitled to as much, or more than bottomfeeder teams?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast