Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Candidates for a Bounce Back Season

I saw someone in the Rumor/Offseason thread talk about how they think Hjalmarsson is going to have a bounce back season. First off, that is one of the best threads we have had around here in a while. Everyone is posting some great thoughts and being insightful. There are some disagreements in there (which is why we all come here) but everyone is doing it in a respectful way so it makes it fun to come here and debate with everyone.

I want to know, who is your bounce back candidate for this upcoming season? I figured we could start this thread now as it will only really pertain to players from last year's Blackhawks team. Make sure to nominate someone and give the reasons for why they had a poor season last year and why they will bounce back this season. Unfortunately, there seem to be plenty of candidates at this time.

vCash
    My candidate, and maybe this is wishful thinking, is going to be Corey Crawford.

Crawford played in 57 games each of his last two seasons, but the results and numbers were pretty different. In his first year he posted a .917, 4 shutouts, 2.30GAA and in his second year (Which we will hopefully refer to as a sophomore slump) he posted a .903, 0 shutouts, and 2.72GAA.

Last year Crawford really tried to do way too much. He forgot what type of goalie he is which is a shot blocker that plays the angles and the position. At times last year he looked like Tim Thomas...minus the saves. This got corrected after too many goals to my liking but Crawford did seem to settle down towards the end of the season and get back to his game.

Another big reason that I believe Crawford will bounce back is the defense in front of him. While I do think there are still improvements to be made, a full year of Oduya and Brookbank alone are going to help. Hopefully Brookbank can chip in and help on the PK which will help out Crawford in a big way.

While I do think that Crawford is on the block in any right deal, or that competition not named Emery could be brought in, if he is between the pipes for the start of the season he is definitely my bounce back candidate.

vCash
    Pat Kane

66 points in 82 games (23 goals) is not going to cut it for the star. He was in a horrible slump in the middle of the season and couldnt score a goal to save his life.

I think he is going to put up a minimum of a point per game this upcoming season. With the offseason rumblings about him drinking and possible trades, I can see those labels as motivation for him. The sky is the limit and as long as the Hawks bring in 1 more top 6 forward like Doan, Kane will have a bounce back year for sure.

Runner up: Nick Leddy
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    Pat Kane

66 points in 82 games (23 goals) is not going to cut it for the star. He was in a horrible slump in the middle of the season and couldnt score a goal to save his life.

I think he is going to put up a minimum of a point per game this upcoming season. With the offseason rumblings about him drinking and possible trades, I can see those labels as motivation for him. The sky is the limit and as long as the Hawks bring in 1 more top 6 forward like Doan, Kane will have a bounce back year for sure.

Runner up: Nick Leddy
    Here's a question though...does he do it at Center or Wing?

He started off the year amazing at Center...and then hit that slump. At Center he has the puck more but has more defensive responsibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Here's a question though...does he do it at Center or Wing?

He started off the year amazing at Center...and then hit that slump. At Center he has the puck more but has more defensive responsibility.
    I think he can do it at either position but Id rather see him at the wing. I think that brief stint at center helped him play wing better (if that makes sense).

I think there is more value with Sharp playing center than Kane. With that being said, Id like to see a top six consisting of
    Doan/Toews/Kane
    Saad or Stalberg/Sharp/Hossa

vCash
    I'm with boom in nominating Crawford, but it also heavily depends on the defensive system in front of him.

vCash
    In order of likelihood...

1. Kane
    2. Hjalmarsson
    3. Keith

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    I'm feeling Crawford too he can easily do so. I think he needs to realize he's not going to get the job handed to him. While the rumors are just rumors interest in goalies past their prime has to show some disapproval. He will have the benefit of having the young bluelines a year more experienced. The defense let him down last year and if the improve Crawford will be that much better too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IRNMN View Post
    I'm feeling Crawford too he can easily do so. I think he needs to realize he's not going to get the job handed to him. While the rumors are just rumors interest in goalies past their prime has to show some disapproval. He will have the benefit of having the young bluelines a year more experienced. The defense let him down last year and if the improve Crawford will be that much better too.
    I have as much confidence in Crawford as he has in himself....ZERO

vCash
    coach Q

vCash
    Call me crazy, but I'm going to say Toews. Statistically, he was awesome last year. I think he'll bounce back from the concussion problems that plagued him during the regular season (although he played in the playoffs) and have his best season in the NHL yet.

I also think both Kane and Keith will have very solid seasons more in line with what we expect from them. Hjalmarsson and Crawford are wild-cards for me. Statistically, they'll either be sort of average or really solid. Difference with Hjalmarsson is that while he may not put up lots of points, he is very solid defensively and blocks a lot of shots.

In order of how likely I see them bouncing back, my top 5 would be:

1. Jonathan Toews
    2. Patrick Kane
    3. Duncan Keith
    4. Niklas Hjalmarsson
    5. Corey Crawford

vCash
    Going out on a limb and say Montador. He was really bad even before the injury. He is going to get it together and be a solid 5th Dman this year.

vCash
    Ben Smith.
    Jacques Plante- Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sox71 View Post
    Going out on a limb and say Montador. He was really bad even before the injury. He is going to get it together and be a solid 5th Dman this year.
    He actually wasnt too bad and dont forget, they had him play just about every position except for center and goalie.

Once they leave him as the 5th Dman, he will be more than fine. I just hope they dont play games and play him out of position again.

Does anyone remember what position he was playing when he got his concussion? I hope it wasnt when he was on the 4th line.