Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 66 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Re: Heyward leading off. I get it from an OBP standpoint, but I fear it would waste his home runs. Instead of being 2 or 3-run HRs, they'd be solo shots. Still useful, but not optimal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    You guys think a package of JT, Hanson, Cunningham and lower spects would do it for Justin Upton?
    I think that if you switch Cunningham for Ahmed you can get the attention of the Dbacks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iamaj View Post
    Re: Heyward leading off. I get it from an OBP standpoint, but I fear it would waste his home runs. Instead of being 2 or 3-run HRs, they'd be solo shots. Still useful, but not optimal.
    Why would Heyward lead off? We got Simmons and Prado as options...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    See my response to westside here. Basically, Upton, Upton, Upton, Willingham, Choo, Gordon, and Swisher are the best names I've heard rumored. Nothing to say Wren can't come with a deal out of nowhere. But needs to be a legit power bat.
    The Choo market has been cold so far but Cleveland really needs to blow it up and build around Santana and Kipnis. I think Delgado for Choo is a fair trade.

Choo
    Prado
    Heyward
    Upton
    Freeman
    Uggla
    Mac
    Simmons

That could be the top lineup in baseball

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I think that if you switch Cunningham for Ahmed you can get the attention of the Dbacks
    Sounds good to me. I was just thinking about our rotation in the future if we did this. With JT and Hanson traded, Huddy and Holm have one more season before becoming a free agent, who would we have then and would we be able to afford adding a starter, if needed, as well as keeping our young core together....

2014 projection:
    Med
    Beach
    Minor
    Delgado
    MaHolm (resign?)
    Huddy (another year?)

vCash
    Sounds good to me. I was just thinking about our rotation in the future if we did this. With JT and Hanson traded, Huddy and Holm have one more season before becoming a free agent, who would we have then and would we be able to afford adding a starter, if needed, as well as keeping our young core together....

2014 projection:
    Med
    Beach
    Minor
    Delgado
    MaHolm (resign?)
    Huddy (another year?)
    Gilmartin probably will be ready for 2014, and Graham will be waiting in the wings, that Rotation has the potential of being great, that just show how deep we are in that department, but damn i wish we could keep Teheran somehow and trade Minor/Delgado for Upton.

vCash
    Why would Heyward lead off? We got Simmons and Prado as options...
    There is solid logic there. He has a decent OBP as well as speed plus it gives the Braves' best hitter the chance to get more ABs. Bourn played in 3 fewer games than Heyward, yet had 52 more plate appearances. Given his HR rate, that's an extra 2 HRs for the season. Not much, but maybe it would have been enough to turn two losses into wins.

That said, I would still want Heyward to have some ducks on the pond.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Gilmartin probably will be ready for 2014, and Graham will be waiting in the wings, that Rotation has the potential of being great, that just show how deep we are in that department, but damn i wish we could keep Teheran somehow and trade Minor/Delgado for Upton.
    would prefer that also but I'm sure JT would be needed just to start...

vCash
    There is solid logic there. He has a decent OBP as well as speed plus it gives the Braves' best hitter the chance to get more ABs. Bourn played in 3 fewer games than Heyward, yet had 52 more plate appearances. Given his HR rate, that's an extra 2 HRs for the season. Not much, but maybe it would have been enough to turn two losses into wins.

That said, I would still want Heyward to have some ducks on the pond.
    Heyward is best served in the 3-hole where he can drive in those runs and set up more opportunities for the middle of the order. His talent would be wasted at Leadoff. Simmons is the more ideal one, high contact, low k's, decent speed.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Simmons posted a decent .335 OBP, but that was in the 8-hole. Makes me fear it was a mirage like how McLouth's OBP spiked when he hit in front of the pitcher. I'd almost want to leave him there.

vCash
    Simmons posted a decent .335 OBP, but that was in the 8-hole. Makes me fear it was a mirage like how McLouth's OBP spiked when he hit in front of the pitcher. I'd almost want to leave him there.
    That's a very good point.

vCash
    If it's between Choo and Gordon, I might take Alex even though it could be tougher to fit his number in the payroll. Two years younger, good defense, averaged 71 XBHs the last two seasons.

vCash
    I think Prado is the best bet at this moment. While some may dislike not having a "speed" guy batting lead-off, a double (he is a doubles machine) is just as good as a single and stolen base with less risk, I might add. Plus, Prado stole 17 bases last season, so he's no slouch.

vCash
    Though whoever plays LF could change things, I might like a lineup like:

3B Prado
    2B Uggla
    RF Heyward
    CF Upton
    1B Freeman
    LF *Unknown*
    C McCann/Laird
    SS Simmons

The LF could bat as low as 7th or as high as clean-up. Just depends. I stuck Uggla in the 2-hole because of his career .343 OBP. He is much more likely to strikeout than ground into a double play, so he won't take Prado off the basepaths. Deep down I feel that Fredi will bat Mac clean-up, but I think Upton breaks the lefties of Heyward and Freeman better and doesn't have to sit out every 5th game. As said earlier, I'm not ready to trust Simmons leading off. I want to leave him batting 8th and see how he plays. Open to revisiting the issue during the season. I think Prado would be a fine lead-off hitter. Those doubles could really set the Braves up for some nice frames.

vCash
    Prado almost always has good to great at bats, which although not a statistic I think really helps from your lead off man.

Page 54 of 66 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast