Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Also, for the record, the same lineup optimizer using Bill James' projections from FanGraphs instead of last three years' performance (OBP/SLG):

SS Simmons (.351/.416)
    LF J. Upton (.372/.492)
    C McCann (.347/.467)
    RF Heyward (.360/.483)
    1B Freeman (.358/.481)
    2B Uggla (.341/.439)
    3B Prado (.347/.425)
    CF B. Upton (.329/.436)

Also a scary lineup, but that's pretty contingent on Simmons taking the step forward in OBP that James is projecting (from .335 to .351).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Also, for the record, the same lineup optimizer using Bill James' projections from FanGraphs instead of last three years' performance (OBP/SLG):

SS Simmons (.351/.416)
    LF J. Upton (.372/.492)
    C McCann (.347/.467)
    RF Heyward (.360/.483)
    1B Freeman (.358/.481)
    2B Uggla (.341/.439)
    3B Prado (.347/.425)
    CF B. Upton (.329/.436)

Also a scary lineup, but that's pretty contingent on Simmons taking the step forward in OBP that James is projecting (from .335 to .351).
    I'd flip flop Heyward and McCann. Switch uggla and prado as well
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    What about getting Alfonso Soriano to come in and play LF for 2 years? Obviously if the cubs eat 8 mm off the contract for the next two years due (19 mill, 18 Mill)... on the bad note he is, 36 and will be 38 when its said and done. Maybe we platoon him with someone like constanza , but he's been durable played 151 games, most since 06 when he played with the nats, 42 hrs .277 avg 95 rbi's

Bats about .260 AVG
    HR'S last year 32
    and RBI's 108
    Figure to put him in the 7th or 8th spot.
    and Bats R

Line up
    1)Simmons
    2)Prado
    3)Heyward
    4)Freeman
    5)Upton
    6)Mcann
    7)Soriano
    8)Uggla
    9)Pitcher.

vCash
    I know they are not trading him but, what if:

Braves Send: Hanson - Delgado - with (Gattis and/or Lipka)

And

Rangers Send: Nelson Cruz - and atleast 1 lower pitching spec.

Good or Bad trade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by glgc24-7 View Post

And

Good or Bad trade?
    Bad trade IMO, Cruz has been very injury prone in his career and has been a below average defender for the last two years and is under contract until 2013 (10M) and then he is gone.

vCash

SS Simmons (.351/.416)
    LF J. Upton (.372/.492)
    C McCann (.347/.467)
    RF Heyward (.360/.483)
    1B Freeman (.358/.481)
    2B Uggla (.341/.439)
    3B Prado (.347/.425)
    CF B. Upton (.329/.436)

That's a big assumption, and I don't see it happening quite frankly. Still would be a pretty terrifying lineup, just may have to push Prado to the top if Simmons isn't getting on base at a good enough cliip.

vCash
    Ken_Rosenthal
    #Braves, who still need leadoff hitter, had discussed idea of signing Upton AND trading for Span. But talks with #Twins failed to progress.

vCash
    humm..maybe they were asking for too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Ken_Rosenthal
    Does make you think the asking price must have been entirely to high.

vCash
    Would Hanson for Hicks and Rosario tempt Braves fans?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl Bill View Post
    What about getting Alfonso Soriano to come in and play LF for 2 years? Obviously if the cubs eat 8 mm off the contract for the next two years due (19 mill, 18 Mill)... on the bad note he is, 36 and will be 38 when its said and done. Maybe we platoon him with someone like constanza , but he's been durable played 151 games, most since 06 when he played with the nats, 42 hrs .277 avg 95 rbi's
    I would consider Soriano if some other options fall through. Based on the reports, it seems like the Cubs would give him away and pay for the privilege, so he wouldn't cost much. He's been a pretty solid hitter two of the last three years, and his defense in left field is strong. No way would I platoon him with Jose Constanza, who is a fifth outfielder at best. The Braves can do better than Soriano, but they can also do worse.

Quote Originally Posted by glgc24-7 View Post

And

Good or Bad trade?
    Bad trade. That's way, WAY too much for a guy that has serious health issues, didn't have that great of a year last year, and most importantly, only has one year left before free agency. Three years of Hanson and five years of Delgado for one year of Cruz? That's highway robbery. Hanson alone might even be too much. Cruz could fit, but I wouldn't spend more than a couple lower-level prospects to acquire him for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar View Post
    That's a big assumption, and I don't see it happening quite frankly. Still would be a pretty terrifying lineup, just may have to push Prado to the top if Simmons isn't getting on base at a good enough cliip.
    I agree with you on that. Not sure there's a track record to suggest Simmons is going to be a .350 OBP player anytime soon. Again, I don't really think lineup order matters much but I still don't see why Heyward isn't a leadoff option.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Ken_Rosenthal
    I was sort of glad to see Span traded to the Nationals. He's a solid option, but the Braves need to be shooting higher. I'm pleased the Braves' trade efforts with the Twins didn't come to fruition. The Braves have their center fielder; now they need a power stick to play in left.

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Would Hanson for Hicks and Rosario tempt Braves fans?
    Not to this Braves fan. With Upton in the fold, center field is locked down for the next five years, and moving Hicks to a corner really knocks his value down. If the Braves are going to trade Hanson, I'd much prefer them get a piece that can help now and whose bat is more of a sure thing to play in left field (as opposed to center field).

vCash
    ^ What are your favorites LF options right now? (realistic options)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    ^ What are your favorites LF options right now? (realistic options)
    See my response to westside here. Basically, Upton, Upton, Upton, Willingham, Choo, Gordon, and Swisher are the best names I've heard rumored. Nothing to say Wren can't come with a deal out of nowhere. But needs to be a legit power bat.

vCash
    See my response to westside here. Basically, Upton, Upton, Upton, Willingham, Choo, Gordon, and Swisher are the best names I've heard rumored. Nothing to say Wren can't come with a deal out of nowhere. But needs to be a legit power bat.
    I think all of them are good fits, i will try to show the Pros and Cons of all of them.

J.Upton

Pros: He's young, cost controllable for three more years, right handed power bat, very good fielder, basically a star, maybe top ten player in the NL.

Cons: He will cost a ton of young talent to get him, i'm talking about probably 3 of our top 5 young players (Teheran-Graham-Delgado-Minor-Bethancourt), We really don't know if the Dbacks are serious about trading him, right now he won't fit in the payroll, we might have to trade Hanson or another player to make it work.

J.Willingham

Pros: Right Handed power hitter, get on base on a very good clip, cost controllable for the next two years , fits on our payroll nicely. Don't think he will cost a lot via trade.

Cons: Poor defensive OF, getting older.

S.Choo

Pros: He's a player capable of 20+ homers and 20+ steals, very good OBP and he fits on our payroll.

Cons: He's left handed, under contract for one more year so he will be a rental, for some reason after being an average defensive RF had a very bad season according to UZR.

A.Gordon

Pros: Has become a great player, very good OBP, doubles machine, capable of having a 800+ OPS, one of the greatest defensive OF in the MLB. Cost controllable for the next 4 years, fit on our payroll. He's entering his prime.

Cons: Left handed hitter, he will cost a very good haul of prospects probably two of (Teheran-Graham-Delgado-Hanson-Minor), don't know if Kansas is serious about trading him.

N. Swisher

Pros: Switch hitter, has been a very consistent hitter in his career, good defensive OF, very good all around player.

Cons: He's a free agent looking for top dollars, after singing Upton i don't see the braves handing a lot of cash to another free agent, he's 32 so he's on the outside of his prime. Just can't see how can the braves afford him and fill the other holes.

I think that without any doubt Upton, Gordon and Swisher will make us the better team, but two of them will cost too much prospects and the other too much money, Choo is a good player but can't hit lefties and that's a big problem for our club, Willingham has some risk because of his age but i don't think he will cost too much on the trade market and is a RH power bat who we can afford, i think he is the most realistic and best option depending of what would cost to get him.
    Last edited by beldugo; 11-30-2012 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    You guys think a package of JT, Hanson, Cunningham and lower spects would do it for Justin Upton?

Page 53 of 66 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast