Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If we make a trade with the Royals I really hope we get back Alex Gordon or Mike Moustakas.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Wil Myers - OF - Royals

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals have had discussions about trading top prospect Wil Myers for either James Shields or Jon Lester.
    The Royals have already added Ervin Santana via trade this offseason from the Angels and recently signed Jeremy Guthrie to a three-year contract, but they want a true front-line starter and are apparently willing to deal one of the most promising young hitters in the game in order to acquire one. Myers, 21, batted .314/.387/.600 with 37 home runs and 109 RBI in 134 games this past season between the Double-A and Triple-A levels.
    rotoworld

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Can't wait to see the decision for BJ. Hoping that he comes this way...have seen him play baseball since he was 15 yrs old, comes from where I started my coaching career...would love to see him in the Braves jersey.

Would the braves be willing to give up a package of Hanson and Teheran for Myers? I would love Myers above all just because of how controllable and affordable he is, and how youthful our top sticks would be for years to come. Add that to the youth on the mound, and the Braves would be in a good spot for a while.

I would wonder if the Braves would consider a three way deal that could send Asdrubal Cabrera to the D-backs and Upton to the Braves, and the Dbacks get some prospects? Just a thought...no rumors or truth to any of that random thought.

Of the available players that we could trade for (if we get BJ) to fill out LF, I like Gordon the best, but would be fine with Justin Upton. Something about Gordon's flexibility to bat anywhere in the lineup is nice.

Assume we add BJ...where does he hit? Prado leading off with BJ in the 2 hole?? Noting that the Braves rarely run....Prado wouldn't kill us in the 1....he would be solid there. He is a great 2 hitter, but I don't think BJ has the obp to leadoff. Thoughts on a lineup (I guess hard to fill out without filling LF)

vCash
    I don't see how Lester has more trade value than Hanson.

vCash
    Start with Hanson, Delgado, and CB for Myers and see if that gets the Royals interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Start with Hanson, Delgado, and CB for Myers and see if that gets the Royals interest.
    I doubt they want CB, they already have Salvador Perez in one of the best contracts in the MLB, Hanson will give them the top of the rotation man they want for 3 more years, if you paired him with Delgado it should be enough to get Myers, he is a prospect after all, what if he doesn't pan out? i don't want to overpay for an unproven player.

Brandon Wood, Dallas McPherson were labeled as "can't miss prospects" and you know what happended to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Hanson, Delgado and some throw ins very well could make it happen, but I'm not sure the Braves would do that deal.

vCash
    i wouldn't do that deal, not even for myers. if they're talking lester in a more-or-less straight up trade, we could get it done with hanson and 2-tier prospect. or minor straight up. there's no way we give up 2 starters (and one a promising youngster at that) for myers. i know we need to give up quality to get quality, but i'm with the poster who typed that lester isn't much more valuable than hanson.

actually, i think rotoworld is doping or something for putting lester and shields together. i don't see them as anywhere close to the same quality of pitcher.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    i wouldn't do that deal, not even for myers. if they're talking lester in a more-or-less straight up trade, we could get it done with hanson and 2-tier prospect. or minor straight up. there's no way we give up 2 starters (and one a promising youngster at that) for myers. i know we need to give up quality to get quality, but i'm with the poster who typed that lester isn't much more valuable than hanson.

actually, i think rotoworld is doping or something for putting lester and shields together. i don't see them as anywhere close to the same quality of pitcher.
    Rotoworld isn't the one reporting that. All that site does is post what others report and they add their opinions to it or add fantasy advice. The Shields/Lester for Myers trade was reported by Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star and rotoworld posted it.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    Hanson, Delgado and some throw ins very well could make it happen, but I'm not sure the Braves would do that deal.
    I was thinking the same thing with Hanson and Delgado. I'm not a huge fan of Delgado but I'm not to sure the Braves would be willing to give up both Hanson and Delgado in a deal for a guy who hasn't proven himself in the majors yet. Frank Wren has been pretty successful with his trades in the past so I believe he will do whatever is in the best interest of the team. Regardless I would like to see the Braves attempt to package Hanson with some prospects to the Royals to try to bring either Alex Gordon, Mike Moustakas or Will Myers to Atlanta. If the Royals are truly considering trading any of those players then a trade with Atlanta makes a lot of sense. We have a good group of young pitchers and they have a good group of young hitters. Hopefully something gets done.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    Wil Myers from the royals is on the table. the royals are looking for pitching. willing to give up teheran for him?
    Definitely. These Wil Myers rumors are just weird these days. I can't see any reason why the Royals would be wanting to trade a prospect of Myers' caliber, but it does sound as though they're not going to move him for anything less than an established young top-end starter. Unfortunately, the Braves really don't have one of those to offer. If there's a trade made with the Royals, I think you're far more likely to see Alex Gordon come the Braves' way.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgriff09 View Post
    I would wonder if the Braves would consider a three way deal that could send Asdrubal Cabrera to the D-backs and Upton to the Braves, and the Dbacks get some prospects? Just a thought...no rumors or truth to any of that random thought.
    I think that if Upton is made available, this sort of scenario is probably fairly likely. The Diamondbacks end up with Cabrera and a pitching prospect, the Braves get Upton, and the Indians get a minor prospect from Arizona and a couple bigger young names from the Braves.

Of the available players that we could trade for (if we get BJ) to fill out LF, I like Gordon the best, but would be fine with Justin Upton. Something about Gordon's flexibility to bat anywhere in the lineup is nice.
    I have to rate Upton higher. Gordon's BABIP the last two years has been over .350. Not saying I wouldn't want him, but he is due for a bit of regression and I prefer taking my chances on pairing the Upton brothers to see if that can bring out the talent in both of them. Honestly, if the Braves were to get Gordon, I'd prefer that they move him back to third base, where he is a Gold Glove-caliber defender and his bat plays MUCH better. That leaves Prado in the outfield, giving you a defensive plus at both positions.

Assume we add BJ...where does he hit? Prado leading off with BJ in the 2 hole?? Noting that the Braves rarely run....Prado wouldn't kill us in the 1....he would be solid there. He is a great 2 hitter, but I don't think BJ has the obp to leadoff. Thoughts on a lineup (I guess hard to fill out without filling LF)
    I'm one that really doesn't care about lineup order, because it just doesn't matter much in terms of run scoring. But just for fun, I added the Upton brothers to the seven projected lineup regulars and ran their stats over the last three years through this lineup optimization tool. Long story short...Heyward is your leadoff man. I don't see why the Braves wouldn't at least try this. He makes great contact and has good speed. Why not? The optimal lineup was as follows:

RF Heyward
    LF J. Upton
    1B Freeman
    C McCann
    2B Uggla
    3B Prado
    SS Simmons
    CF B. Upton

That lineup looks pretty awesome to me. Heyward and Justin give you a truly dynamic power/speed combo at the top, with a great contact hitter in the three hole and your thunder coming behind in McCann and Uggla. Then two solid contact hitters, with B.J. doing his "second leadoff man" thing in the eight hole. Do I think this would ever happen? No. But I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    I don't see how Lester has more trade value than Hanson.
    Well, Lester is left-handed for one thing. He has some cost certainty that doesn't involve dealing with Scott Boras, for another. And he doesn't have the same health risks. Plus, he's been the better pitcher three of the last four years, by far in '09 and '10. Hanson is a mystery wrapped in an enigma right now, and no one is sure what to make of his decline last year. That's going to knock his value down significantly, despite the ace-level upside.

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    i wouldn't do that deal, not even for myers. if they're talking lester in a more-or-less straight up trade, we could get it done with hanson and 2-tier prospect. or minor straight up. there's no way we give up 2 starters (and one a promising youngster at that) for myers.
    That's just the price for elite controllable players these days. I sort of agree that Shields and Lester aren't quite in the same league, but as I noted above, I don't at all see how you can put Tommy Hanson in Lester's league. Mike Minor isn't even in the same universe value-wise as Myers. Frankly, I'd be floored if the Royals traded Myers for Lester straight up, and would consider that a huge win for the Red Sox. So you can imagine how much more of a robbery it would be if the Braves got Myers for a guy with no more than a good half-season under his belt.

vCash
    ^^ Yes Lester has been better 3 of the last 4 years but the numbers are very close, both of them are coming off bad seasons so Lester brings some uncertainty to the table. Lester is not that much valuable at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    ^^ Yes Lester has been better 3 of the last 4 years but the numbers are very close, both of them are coming off bad seasons so Lester brings some uncertainty to the table. Lester is not that much valuable at this point.
    Not all bad seasons are created equal. Hanson had a massive velocity drop accompanied by a re-worked delivery and injury issues. There are some potential issues with bad luck, but it's far from certain. Lester had no such issues with velocity; he just had a statistically fluky season with lots of luck flags. And even in his "down" year, he was still better than Hanson (3.94 SIERA to Hanson's 4.10). He's a much surer bet going forward than Hanson is. Hanson still has the upside, but his risk is so much higher. And then there's the handedness thing, which is a big deal.

I still don't see why the Royals would trade Wil Myers for either of them. That's the real point here. And even if they would do Lester for Myers, I don't at all think that means they would do Hanson for Myers, for reasons I outlined above.

vCash
    Heyward is your typical rbi/homerun threat from the 3 hole. His speed and obp just adds to why he should be the #3 hitter. He wont bat leadoff.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Heyward is your typical rbi/homerun threat from the 3 hole. His speed and obp just adds to why he should be the #3 hitter. He wont bat leadoff.
    I agree that it won't happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't. I've never bought into what's "typical" just because that's what people are used to, and I don't at all see what's wrong with Heyward at leadoff. OBP and speed are great qualities to have at the top of a lineup, and I don't think anyone ever complained about getting 27 homers out of a leadoff hitter either. If J-Hey takes the next step up to a perennial .500 slugger, he'd be better off lower, and I certainly believe he has that potential. But a .450 SLG in the leadoff spot isn't at all unheard of. If Mike Trout (.564 SLG) and Austin Jackson (.481 SLG) can hit leadoff, why not Heyward?

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast