Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    vCash
    i think it could be the hitters background he has at home because his walks are up and his strikeouts are down while at home and has been for his whole career

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I would be really happy if we brought in Doumit as the back up catcher. Not only does he have a solid bat like you said but the guy can also play in the outfield. He would be a very nice option off the bench with his bat and position flexibility.

Would Tommy Hanson for Denard Span and Ryan Doumit be a fair deal?
    That's definitely not enough to get Doumit. Now that the Braves have signed Gerald Laird and don't need a backup catcher, I find it hard to see them being interested in a guy like Doumit, who is a poor outfield defender and is a decent but not great hitter. Doumit would have been a tweener...too good/expensive for a bench role, but not good enough to fill a hole that requires a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by chipurmunki View Post
    ^ i think we'd need to add something else, like a good minor l. prospect or something. pastornicky and gilmartin have been suggested if they throw in hicks.
    The Twins aren't going to "throw in" Aaron Hicks to get low-upside players like Tyler Pastornicky or Sean Gilmartin.

what about sending them uggla? hanson and uggla for doumit/span/willingham? they have an old carroll who never really hits much at 2nd. we might could get their entire outfield if we throw him in, lol.
    I see no reason why the Twins would want to take Dan Uggla off the Braves' hands? They're taking on a lot of salary in that deal while also getting less talent.

changing gears a bit, what would sd want for headley? he is signed at a cheap contract through the '14 season. they could use someone to anchor the back end of their rotation and some infield help. delgado or minor + our pujols look-alike mejia might hlep persuade him since he's obviously blocked by freeman. they also have hundley. if we don't go the doumit route, i can see him look good in a braves uni.
    Headley would take a LOT to acquire. I'm thinking Teheran or Delgado PLUS Hanson, and maybe even two of the three of Teheran, Delgado and Minor. The Padres are way more likely to extend him than to trade him, and they're certainly not going to move him for 27-year-old non-prospects like Ernesto Mejia.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I'd rather keep him. If he builds on how the finished last season we could have a really good pitcher on our hands. Medlen-Beachy-Minor could hold down the top of our rotation for a long time if Beachy returns to form and Minor continues to improve.
    Except that the way he finished last season was driven way more by luck improvements than skill improvements. He's not likely to "build on" his good luck. Not saying he's not a very valuable player, but we're talking a #3/#4 starter, not #2/#3.

Quote Originally Posted by westside View Post
    Im not talking about 'spects. Im talking about guys who actually come to the BIGS and ball out. I can see if it were some minor league phenom, but its guys who came in and helped us get to the post season. Simmons, Heyward,Freeman, Minor..etc will all be our core players of the future. Just for example.
    Who has been suggesting any trades involving Simmons or Heyward or Freeman? Minor doesn't really fit in that category, since he hasn't really "come to the BIGS and balled out" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wcg View Post
    the trade that makes the most sense for the braves would be a deal where they get someone like ben revere for delgado since they are both young and niether player has more then 2yrs of service. The old braves when ted would just write a big check i will agree would have probablly pulled the trigger on a span deal by now
    Except that Ben Revere can't hit and probably never will. Good defender and baserunner, but you don't trade a pitcher like Delgado for a guy who will probably never be a first-division starter.

vCash
    rofl, that wasn't even the point of my post. all i was saying is that it would take more than hanson for doumit AND span, especially if hicks was involved. but i've learned to lower my expectations of you and your ability to follow discussions.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    This is probably the Bill Shanks interview with Wren that wcg is talking about.

http://www.macon.com/2012/11/14/2250...he-braves.html
    wcg
    i heard the FW interview on am 1670 macon during the bill shanks show. bill normally will post a copy of that interview but hasnt so far
    Thanks guys!

vCash
    rofl, that wasn't even the point of my post. all i was saying is that it would take more than hanson for doumit AND span, especially if hicks was involved. but i've learned to lower my expectations of you and your ability to follow discussions.
    I understood what you were saying, despite the lack of coherent punctuation or capitalization. And having understood that, I was saying that it would take significantly more than Hanson for Doumit, Span and Hicks. So much so that including Gilmartin or Pastornicky (as you suggested) wouldn't be close to enough.

vCash
    Last edited by chipurmunki; 11-21-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    HAWKS 13 -- 14 PREMIERS

"I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...ffftt ffftt ffftt!"

vCash
    It's as easy as the ignore feature folks..there is a reason why it's there.

vCash
    Sometimes you want stupid people to know they're stupid.

vCash
    ^ That's the only reason my wife talks to me - to remind me I'm stupid.

vCash
    I think a lot of wives have that M.O.

vCash
    The Boston Red Sox entered the offseason with some question marks in the outfield, but it's safe to say nobody expected Jonny Gomes would be the (initial) answer.

But he's Boston-bound after reaching agreement with the Sox, according to sources. While his arrival adds to the outfield picture, it doesn't provide much clarity.

Is this the end of Cody Ross' days in Boston? Gomes and Ross are similar players. Gomes' 2012 battling slash was .262 BA/.377 OBP/.491 SLG, while Ross' was .267/.327/.481.

Ross was popular in Boston, with a swing seemingly tailor-made to loft homers over the Green Monster. The problem is, he and Gomes are too alike to be an effective platoon: Both are right-handed, dead-pull hitters with power versus lefties (career OPS versus lefties: Gomes .894, Ross .928).

So did Ross want too much money? Did the Sox decide that his reported three-year asking price was too long, or too steep or too much trouble to negotiate down? They definitely still have plenty of payroll space to add Ross, but in the meantime they've decided to add a cheaper, (slightly) shorter-term alternative in Gomes.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...-to-the-of-mix

vCash
    I like how they note that Gomes and Ross are "similar players" and then immediately state that Gomes' OBP was 50 points higher than Ross' last year. In some ways, it's true that they're similar, and one way is most important: both are too expensive to be bench players but neither is good enough to fill the Braves' need for a power bat in left field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    I like how they note that Gomes and Ross are "similar players" and then immediately state that Gomes' OBP was 50 points higher than Ross' last year. In some ways, it's true that they're similar, and one way is most important: both are too expensive to be bench players but neither is good enough to fill the Braves' need for a power bat in left field.
    I'd be really happy with Ross in LF next year.

vCash
    ^^^ He would take a mulit year contract... so we might be able to live with him next year (I wouldn't be happy with him in LF next year) but how about in 2014-15?
    Sgt Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    Again, I would rather see Upton signed, then see what aTL can add in either CF or LF in terms of another power bat or leadoff guy, neither of which Cody Ross fills. Upton could play either spot. If Upton is signed i would love to see Willingham added. That would bring a lot of added power and some better hitters against LHP, too. Also would easily fit in the budget. Lastly, Willy shouldn't cost more than one decent arm and some prospects.

Page 50 of 66 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast