Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Most of the trade talk revolves around pitches and unless the Braves trot out a 7 man rotation, they should deal their young arms.

vCash
    just heard frank wren on the radio and it sounds like braves are very interested in josh hamilton and bj upton. it also made me thinks this whole simmons rangers rumor could have came up because braves went after olt and exploring other young 3B Wren also said simmons might be the leadoff hitter and he would not panic and reach for someone like they did with lowe. juan francisco might be the starter for this year with a player braves get being groomed
    Last edited by wcg; 11-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wcg View Post
    just heard frank wren on the radio and it sounds like braves are very interested in josh hamilton and bj upton. it also made me thinks this whole simmons rangers rumor could have came up because braves went after olt and exploring other young 3B Wren also said simmons might be the leadoff hitter and he would not panic and reach for someone like they did with lowe. juan francisco might be the starter for this year with a player braves get being groomed
    What station did you hear the FW interview on? I would love to hear it!

vCash
    i heard the FW interview on am 1670 macon during the bill shanks show. bill normally will post a copy of that interview but hasnt so far

this whole span trade idea i do not see the braves going after him unless the twins are ready to lower there price and accept someone lower then delgado or gilmartin for span. Span only has what looks to be two years left before he hits free agency and despite being fast does not steal nearly as much as he should and it is one thing to be fast but you need to know how to use your speed and swipe bases.

vCash
    ^ Span has 3 years left on his contract. And stealing bases can be contingent on other factors. Maybe MIN isn't big on stealing. And speed is useful in other ways then just steals.

It does sound like ATL is more interested in BJ Upton, though.

vCash
    with bj upton i think it also could be the braves will ask him to hit for a higher average and do not try and hit as much for power. I think it was chipper who once said he could hit 40 or 50 homers a year with a 250 to 260 BA or he could hit around 20 to 30 homers with a 280 plus BA. The thing is we do not know how upton is being coached and just how good is the tampa coaching staff for hitters. Tampa has been a team lead by strong starting pitching and that is what has gotten them to the level they are and i am willing to bet with there low budget they are making cuts elsewhere like on the offensive side

vCash
    ^ His sub. 300 OBP is what is concerning. Don't be surprised if Simmons or Prado is lead off and Upton (if signed) is hitiing 6 or 7.

vCash
    if the twins were not big on steals then ben revere would not have stolen 40 bases last year that is why span does not excite me because he is fast but is not a base stealer and I rather put prado at leadoff and get another power bat since span is not going to steal and has limited power

vCash
    I never thought upton would be a player that hits leadoff i think unless the braves can find someone like bourn to leadoff then prado, simmons and heyward are the 3 that will be looked at for leadoff

the trade that makes the most sense for the braves would be a deal where they get someone like ben revere for delgado since they are both young and niether player has more then 2yrs of service. The old braves when ted would just write a big check i will agree would have probablly pulled the trigger on a span deal by now
    Last edited by wcg; 11-15-2012 at 09:31 AM.

vCash
    Span will be a solid leadoff hitter he has an OBP similar to Bourn and Span is probably the better overall hitter and capable of stealing 20 SB, you can't replace Bourn production because there is one Michael Bourn and players like him cost as much as he will or a big haul of prospects. Ben revere can steal 40 bases But he have absolutley no power and doesn't get on base enough, Span has a very friendly contract so he should be our guy for CF.

vCash
    Span is significantly better than Revere. Steals is no gauge of talent/ability.

vCash
    Twin fan here I wouldn't say span is significantly better than Revere but he is better. He's a very good leadoff guy and very solid defensively in center. The Twins aren't a very aggressive team which is one reason why is SB total is low. Only reason Revere has a ton is because he usually has the green light to steal whenever because he's successful

vCash
    This is probably the Bill Shanks interview with Wren that wcg is talking about.

http://www.macon.com/2012/11/14/2250...he-braves.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    Twin fan here I wouldn't say span is significantly better than Revere but he is better. He's a very good leadoff guy and very solid defensively in center. The Twins aren't a very aggressive team which is one reason why is SB total is low. Only reason Revere has a ton is because he usually has the green light to steal whenever because he's successful
    Thanks for the info. As someone who has watched Span, any reason why his home/away splits are as lopsided as they are?

vCash
    you know i can't give you a great reason you would think it would be the opposite since target field is more of a pitchers park but i don't think it would be of concern to be honest

Page 49 of 66 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast