Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    No need to apologize, it deserved its own thread. Just mentioned it since you wondered if anyone had seen it before.

I get why people don't like Carle. He makes the occasional stupid decision and he isn't physical, two things that will never fly in Philly.

But based on the current going rate for defensemen of his caliber, Carle is almost definitely getting $5M+ per season going forward. I would say he's a top-pairing guy for a handful of teams. And I do think your assessment of our defense sans Pronger is on the pessimistic side, though that's not to say that you're incorrect. It could certainly be better.

I think NHL defenseman is one of the hardest positions to properly evaluate in any sport for the average fan, honestly. I don't claim to be any sort of expert, myself.
    Personally, I look at us being 20th overall in the NHL in goals against and, though I attribute some of that to soft play from Bryz, see a defense that isn't physical enough and didn't have a single player that could clear the crease before the trades for Kubina and Grossman. Just my opinion =P

Anyway, those are all fair points. Someone will give Matt Carle 5+/yr, I just hope it isn't us, lol. I think we're better served trading JVR for Schenn (and a pick) and resigning Voracek/Jagr (assuming Prongs is coming back, which is far from certain at this point), or getting Suter and going from there. I'm pretty sure moving JVR's 4+ million and potentially placing Prongs on LTIR again next year should free up a little over $11 million in cap space.

Is that how it works?
    The Squads:
    Flyers - Phillies - Eagles - 76ers

...did anyone bring pizza?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I think the issue relating to Matt Carle isn't whether or not we like him enough to be back or that he would be overpaid somehow, it's more that he probably just won't fit into OUR budget circumstances. I can't see how we are going to give raises to the other contracts that kick in next year and still afford him in the 5 million range somewhere.

I don't hate Carle nor do I love him....I just don't view him as one of those difference maker type guys on a defense so when you're talking about managing a cap he's exactly the type of player that the big spending teams have to let walk once in awhile to make the budgets work and one of the Tier B teams with a little more cap flexibility can benefit.

The main factor that will determine how are defense looks like next year is how we are able to manage Prongers cap hit and what all the rules are surrounding that.....if we are able to get out of it, you'll see an aggressive move made to land a top pairing type guy by Homer. If we have keep his cap and work around it, then you probably won't see much in a big move. We'll have to wait and see.
    Yep. If anyone wants to argue Carle isn't worth $5M or more to us, given our cap situation, I won't fight them. It's the people who think he's a scrub that I have to argue with.

And yeah, the Pronger situation is the huge question mark. It determines our entire offseason plan, you'd have to think.

vCash
    Sorry Ruckus i always value your opinion but here I dont at all.... I wouldnt go as far as saying hes a scrub because afterall he is in the NHL... and he really is a great offensive defenseman but I dont like his defense skills at all. To his credit he has made a lot less bone-head and immature plays but the stuff that kills me are the miss-handles / turnovers / weak backside checking. I cannot recall how many times this year Ive screamed "bleeping Carle" ....."just sitck with your man dont get lost!!!!" then whoosh....goal.

Hes like what 3.5 now? I just think hes overpaid now, and he will get more only because hes a very good offensive threat. But his defense skills lets be honest.. 6 out of 10 and thats being generous

I tell you what, i did get to see quite a few Phantoms games this year. And I know Oliver Lauridsen has a low grade like a 5/6 dman but i tell you what. This kid is our next up and coming. Hes HUGE 6-6 good solid stay at home but his hands are very deceivingly quick

Lets not forget too we have Blake Kessel soon on the rise as well, he could be a great filler for Carle if we can find a one year contract player to let Kessel develop a bit more.

So we have some up and coming but regardless Sorry Ruck but I know I will be happy when / if Carle leaves and I wish him the best of luck where ever it maybe that he is going.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    I dont know about all of this,I would like to believe if talk around the league is high on Matt Carl like the report suggest then why would we just let him walk without anything in return like draft picks etc.. ? ......

Personally I like Carl I feel his good out weighs his bad by alot but $5.5 mil per year ? bit high I think....Ryan Suter looks a future #1/#2 d-man and I would love to have him and I would pay $5.5 for him...imo.......

Also for the record I am not a big fan of Kubina he looks slow at times and makes turnovers and doesnt take enough shots from the point,not impressed and I feel he can be easly replaced next season especially for what we are paying ,dont like Lilja either and MAB I would like to give him a little more time perhaps to next seasons trade deadline to see how he fits in simply because he is cheap and still very young.
    Last edited by FLYER-FAN; 04-18-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Matt Carle @ 5 Mill = Ryan Suter @ over 7 Mill

Let them both go if that's what they want. Hell no to Ryan Suter this off season.

FIRE ME!

I dont do five year plans other organizations do, I guess. - Ruben Amaro Jr

vCash
    Do you think it would be worth inquiring about a trade for JayBo up in Calgary? There was interest before in him before he signed with the Flames. You would have to think being a guy who holds the record of most games played without reaching a Stanley Cup final would be open minded to the idea. He's in the middle of a five year deal, but do you think this could be a possibility for Philadelphia to acquire someone who has the capability and potential to fill the void that was left when Pronger went out?

vCash
    JayBo hasn't looked like the same player since going to Calgary. And his cap hit is huge. Eh.

vCash
    Tonight just proved everything.... 1 play.... he took Malkin out of the play. That was it....just horrible. Sorry i just dont like his game at all...

Such lack of effort I understand the whole team laid a goose egg but holy cow Carle. I understand I missed last 5 min and first 5 min of the 2nd and 3rd but from what I saw Carle looked pathetic. Again he took Malkin out stood him up and put him down on the ice, that was a great play but other then that.... yeahhhhhhhhh....

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    This thread should probably be closed because it's a big LOL moment. Carle was horrible again tonight. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bourdon a rookie replace him. He's been that atrocious.

vCash
    One game = an entire career. News to me.

vCash
    Yeah, I agree that this one game was not an entire career. Perhaps he's just slumping a little, but over the last month or so, the guy has not played well in my opinion. Now's the time we need our first pairing D-Man to step up. I'm just not seeing that from the guy. =\
    The Squads:
    Flyers - Phillies - Eagles - 76ers

...did anyone bring pizza?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    Tonight just proved everything.... 1 play.... he took Malkin out of the play. That was it....just horrible. Sorry i just dont like his game at all...

Such lack of effort I understand the whole team laid a goose egg but holy cow Carle. I understand I missed last 5 min and first 5 min of the 2nd and 3rd but from what I saw Carle looked pathetic. Again he took Malkin out stood him up and put him down on the ice, that was a great play but other then that.... yeahhhhhhhhh....
    To single out 1 defenseman or even 1 player from last night's atrocity is absolutely ridiculous, especially if you're going to single out the wrong person. If you want to talk about someone playing terrible, Kubina was and has been brutal. Really though, the entire team was complete **** after those two 5 on 3s. I'm hardly surprised to read this though, Carle is this year's Jeff Carter. It's like everyone is just looking for flaws in Carle's play rather than watching the actual games.

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy553 View Post
    This thread should probably be closed because it's a big LOL moment. Carle was horrible again tonight. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Bourdon a rookie replace him. He's been that atrocious.
    I'm not saying he was good, but who played well last night? No one on Philadelphia's roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delfinko View Post
    To single out 1 defenseman or even 1 player from last night's atrocity is absolutely ridiculous, especially if you're going to single out the wrong person. If you want to talk about someone playing terrible, Kubina was and has been brutal. Really though, the entire team was complete **** after those two 5 on 3s. I'm hardly surprised to read this though, Carle is this year's Jeff Carter. It's like everyone is just looking for flaws in Carle's play rather than watching the actual games.

I'm not saying he was good, but who played well last night? No one on Philadelphia's roster.
    Pretty much.

vCash
    As someone else said, I don't hate Carle or like Carle. He had a bad game so did everyone else on the team. He won't be back next year, someone will offer him 5 mil plus. Flyers need to clear cap space and his contract is up. We have plenty of D man for next year.

Pronger ????? (who knows if he'll be back)
    Grossmann
    Coburn
    Timonen
    Meszaros
    Bourdon
    Gustafsson
    Bartulis
    Kessel

vCash
    Well, this point is moot. We cannot afford Ryan Suter.

I like Matt Carle. At $5m? Maybe not so much. But I'm with TR. He's not a scrub. And to blame him for last night is a joke. There's 22 guys on the bench who you can blame singling out any and you're just looking for a scapegoat.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast