47 25.00%
  • Escobar

82 43.62%
  • Jeter

59 31.38%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Jeter is not good defensively. You simply cannot make the argument. Fielding percentage is ********. The guys range is brutal and has been for a while. Does his bat play? of course it does. Easily one of the best bats for a SS over his career but lets face it, the guy should have been moved a long time ago. If he wasn't a Yankees legend and lets say he played on the Pirates or something he would have shifted a decade ago. Arod is a much better SS without question. He should have been the SS the moment the Yanks got em'. At the very least Cano and Jeter should swap but that will never happen. I don't hate Jeter like a lot of people do I just don't know why the Yanks insist on him playing such a premium defensive position when he's clearly not cut out for it. I'd love to see someone argue, using statistics, to show that Jeter is even in the top half of SS's defensively.
    Gold gloves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 7chuck7 View Post
    Escobar did not go 5 for 5 on the day he got 3000 hits with number 3000 being a home run. Nor did he continue to fill the stands with parents who brought their kids to see him because he is an icon and a role model.

Jeter did much better in 2011. Not to mention he is the captain and leads by example. You won't find any of that in, 'the stats'.
    So you're saying you have nothing to back up you're argument?

vCash
    Range is overrated.

vCash
    Escobar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    So you're saying you have nothing to back up you're argument?
    Actually what I am saying is that you think you know baseball but you really don't. This place is loaded with people like you. Statistical nerds. You can't understand. It's ok, you are still welcome here.

Escobar is a great shortstop by the way.
    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash
    Actually what I am saying is that you think you know baseball but you really don't. This place is loaded with people like you. Statistical nerds. You can't understand. It's ok, you are still welcome here.

Take it down a notch, dude.
    Last edited by Mr Haha; 04-14-2012 at 12:22 PM.

vCash
    Escobar did not go 5 for 5 on the day he got 3000 hits with number 3000 being a home run. Nor did he continue to fill the stands with parents who brought their kids to see him because he is an icon and a role model.

Jeter did much better in 2011. Not to mention he is the captain and leads by example. You won't find any of that in, 'the stats'.
    Derek Fisher did a great job helping the players union get through the short strike in the NBA at the beginning of the year. He doesn't have the best stats but is the best PG in the NBA because of it.

13-3 UNDERDOGS

vCash

So don't use stats to judge players. Got it

vCash
    Tulowitzki is probably the only other SS I'd take over Escobar. I still can't believe we got him for basically Alex Gonzalez and Tyler Pastornicky (who by the way has a very high ceiling and could potentially be a solid major league SS).

10. 04-14-2012, 12:31 PM
    Reason
    Insults/Disruptive

11. 04-14-2012, 12:33 PM
    Reason
    Insults/Disruptive

12. 04-14-2012, 12:35 PM
    Reason
    Insults/Disruptive

vCash
    Argueing the top SS in any division is pointless anyways. Everyone knows Tulo>>>>>> than any other SS by lightyears and that there are no stars at SS outside of Tulo. (Reyes and Hanley but they're on the same team now) It's the single weakest position in baseball. Guys like Escobar and Hardy wouldn't even be top 10 at most other positions. (ignore Jeter because he shouldn't even be on this list)
    Last edited by the_jon; 04-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.

14. 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM
    Reason
    Disruptive

vCash

Sorry but your argument for Jeter being the better SS is based off of nothing. Since when was a player's performance based off of ticket sales, leading by example, and being the team captain?

You won't find any of that in, 'the stats'.
    Yeah, we definitely won't find such stupidity in stats.

Us statistical nerds understand very well how to compare and evaluate players thank you very much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    So don't use stats to judge players. Got it
    You don't read very well. I never said stats should not be used. They should be and used correctly and they are a great tool. However, it is not the only way to judge how good a player is. There is a great deal that goes into that. Give me a stat for being a constant clubhouse leader and the number of wins that contributes to along with a number of other things that certain players do to promote winning on their team.

Too many people get blinded by stats. There have been a number of players over the years who had good stats but were a cancer in the clubhouse and to the team in general.
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

17. 04-14-2012, 12:44 PM
    Reason
    Disruptive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jon View Post
    Jeter sucks, cry about it more if you like
    You can do better than that! Give it a try. LOL

vCash
    You don't read very well. I never said stats should not be used. They should be and used correctly and they are a great tool. However, it is not the only way to judge how good a player is. There is a great deal that goes into that. Give me a stat for being a constant clubhouse leader and the number of wins that contributes to along with a number of other things that certain players do to promote winning on their team.
    But those qualities don't necessarily translate towards a certain player's performance on the baseball field. We're not discussing nor evaluating which one of Escobar/Jeter/Hardy are the better team captain/clubhouse leader. We're here discussing which one of them is the better overall SS in 2012. And the only way of supporting our argument for the one of them is by using stats that relate to offensive/defensive porductivity. Such intangibles like being a clubhouse leader, team captain, and being the cash cow of his team's ticket sales don't necessarily come into play here.

Too many people get blinded by stats. There have been a number of players over the years who had good stats but were a cancer in the clubhouse and to the team in general.
    The thing is though, we're not comparing the particular player's personality and attitude within the clubhouse. For example, Manny (from '02-07) was an offensive monster (despite the use of HGH) while pretty much being an absolute moron. But despite his personality, I'm pretty sure every team and every fan would've wanted him on their side solely based on his offensive productivity.

vCash
    You are very intelligent. Thank goodness you are here to help us who are not as smart. Thanks from all of us.

You should reply......"You are welcome."
    Just from reading this post I can tell you're very ignorant and not willing to listen to the opinions and arguments of others. So with that I no longer wish to argue with you. Bye now.

21. 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM
    Reason
    Disruptive

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast