Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cox: Time for Vancouver Canucks' David Booth to step up

Don't always agree with Damien Cox but on this one I do 100% ...

With Daniel Sedin still out, Booth becomes that much more important to the Canucks. So far, he certainly hasn't delivered what Vancouver thought it was getting, and Samuelsson, in eight fewer games, scored only three less goals for the Panthers.

It's beyond this season, meanwhile, where the ramifications of the deal become more interesting, particularly if Booth continues to be rather average.

The contracts of Samuelsson and Sturm expire after this season. Booth, however, has three more years left on a contract that pays him $4.25 million per season, precisely the reason Florida wanted to get rid of him even though they'd spent madly over the summer adding contracts just to get to the salary floor. Tallon has found Vancouver to be a useful dumping ground for contracts he prefers to be rid of, such as the Keith Ballard deal, which was sent to the Canucks in 2010 for Steve Bernier, Michael Grabner and a first round pick.

That contract also still has three years to run at $4.2 million per season. Ballard, meanwhile, was on the periphery of the Vancouver defence corps a year ago in the run to the Cup final, and this year he has been sidelined since Feb. 7 with a concussion. Grabner was a Calder Trophy candidate and the Panthers used the first rounder to select Quinton Howden, who has 70 goals in the past two seasons with the WHL Moose Jaw Warriors.

Don't know if the Canucks are happy with the Booth and Ballard deals. But the Panthers sure are.
    http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/201...l-waiting.html

vCash
    Let's rephrase this: Time for the 2nd line to step up. Kesler got outplayed by Richards last game. We don't have a 2nd line LW without Higgins, and Booth is too streaky.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Our whole team needs to step up. We look pitiful. Those turnovers were disgusting.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Booth did nothing again tonight.

vCash
    Sammy had 2 points tonight for the panthers.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    We really need Daniel back next game. I feel like his absence is putting pressure on guys like Booth.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Booth did nothing again tonight.
    I still prefer his effort level to Samuelsson's.

vCash
    Samuelsson has the clutch gene.
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    I still prefer his effort level to Samuelsson's.
    No doubt about Booth's effort. Memo to Gillis though: when looking for a scorer, find someone with a great shot. Who do we have other than Salo who is a natural scorer/shooter. The oldest guy on our club is almost the only guy I think "we might score" when he takes a shot. With almost all the others, when they take a shot, all I can think of is, we'll get a faceoff in their zone once the goalie easily handles the shot into his chest.

Don't know how many times Kesler basically rushed the net, neglected to use his wingers, shot it at the Kings' crest on Quick's jersey, and saw the play crash to a halt. What do people find exciting about that? How is that dominant? Every rush with Kesler is completely predictable. He'll try to do it himself, and a good goalie will anticipate his every move.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Samuelsson has the clutch gene.
    He's a veteran playoff performer and Booth has just played his first two playoff games. I agree. But Booth has been lacklustre all season, unless we're crediting him for skating prowess just like management credited Raymond when they extended him. Booth is much more robust but he's essentially a bulkier version of Raymond: covers miles and miles of ice but accomplishes little.

vCash
    I actually thought Booth was one of our better players in game 2. He was throwing his weight around, drew a penalty and created scoring chances.

If we come back and win this series, the comeback will have to be lead by the amex line.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE GIPPER View Post
    I actually thought Booth was one of our better players in game 2. He was throwing his weight around, drew a penalty and created scoring chances.

If we come back and win this series, the comeback will have to be lead by the amex line.
    Problem is we have a roster full of guys that can create scoring chances but no one that scores. I thought he was acquired to score. If not, I don't know what Gillis was thinking when he took on his $4+M salary. We need scoring and have needed it for a long time. The Canucks are kidding themselves if they think they are somehow in a "slump" since January. They're not; they just don't have any scorers. With Daniel gone, we need guys like Booth to actually put the puck in the net.
    Last edited by ink; 04-15-2012 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    EIGHT

that's how many goals we scored in a 7 game Stanley Cup final last year Mike. The losing team the previous two years scored 22 and 17 respectively.

I thought Booth was supposed to help solve our scoring problems.
    Last edited by ink; 04-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.