Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    If their goal is ultimately to arm a rocket with a nuclear warhead, this hopefully will give them pause. Under the circumstances, that might not turn out too well for them.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i'm pretty sure he was (quite humorously) saying in response to your question about this happening to "everyone else" that it did... in the '50s. not that NK had this happen to them in the '50s.
    Yea, I get that, but if anyone's going to develop new technology of this magnitude, isn't it expected for things not go 100%? Or is it funny that NK hasn't developed rockets already?

I don't know, I'm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Yea, I get that, but if anyone's going to develop new technology of this magnitude, isn't it expected for things not go 100%? Or is it funny that NK hasn't developed rockets already?

I don't know, I'm
    It's funny that NK is so technologically primitive (even as they're thumping their chests trying to intimidate the world) that they haven't even advanced their technology past what most other countries already accomplished 40-50 years ago.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    It's funny that NK is so technologically primitive (even as they're thumping their chests trying to intimidate the world) that they haven't even advanced their technology past what most other countries already accomplished 40-50 years ago.
    oh. So even if the launch was successful, since its already 2012, it would've still been just as funny?

I wonder if people in china and dubai laugh at our el rail systems and skyscrapers?

vCash
    oh. So even if the launch was successful, since its already 2012, it would've still been just as funny?

I wonder if people in china and dubai laugh at our el rail systems and skyscrapers?
    Um, it is possible for a situation to be serious and at the same time have a humorous take on it. In fact, there are one or two TV shows out there that have had a little success with this angle.

I live in Japan. This is mainly what most people here have been talking about for the last couple of days. It's our heads they're trying to shoot the rocket over, and at us they'll aim it if they get it developed. Everybody understands how serious the situation is, believe me.

That doesn't mean we can't take some enjoyment in their failure, and have a good laugh at their expense. And in fact, part of that is (no pun intended) disarming the situation, breaking the tension and stress that it's causing.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Um, it is possible for a situation to be serious and at the same time have a humorous take on it. In fact, there are one or two TV shows out there that have had a little success with this angle.

I live in Japan. This is mainly what most people here have been talking about for the last couple of days. It's our heads they're trying to shoot the rocket over, and at us they'll aim it if they get it developed. Everybody understands how serious the situation is, believe me.

That doesn't mean we can't take some enjoyment in their failure, and have a good laugh at their expense. And in fact, part of that is (no pun intended) disarming the situation, breaking the tension and stress that it's causing.
    ok thats cool. I don't really know much about north korea, all I knew about this story is that a rocket test failed, so I didn't see how that's funny. I don't know the back story to this whole thing, so maybe thats why I didnt get it

vCash

They can laugh all they want we have Arecccc Barrrwiinnnn

vCash
    ok thats cool. I don't really know much about north korea, all I knew about this story is that a rocket test failed, so I didn't see how that's funny. I don't know the back story to this whole thing, so maybe thats why I didnt get it
    No worries. It really is a very serious situation, especially considering that they're trying to develop nuclear weaponry. They are a genuine threat to global security. But in this one case, they really ****ed up, so people are having some fun with it.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    We should try to over think this some more.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    They are a genuine threat to global security.
    what makes you say that?

vCash
    what makes you say that?
    Two of the most stable and democratic nations in Asia are Japan and South Korea. Both of them are intrinsic to the global economy, both are strong allies of the United States/Europe/Australia/etc., and both provide critical strategic base locations and other forms of support for the US military.

North Korea has massive amounts of artillery and troops ready to devastate Seoul (check its proximity to the border on a map), killing thousands if not tens of thousands of people, should they ever choose a course of war. To Japan, their ability to develop nuclear missiles is somewhat akin to Russia putting nuclear missiles in Cuba in the 60s. They consider it an existential threat (as of course does South Korea).

If any militarized conflict between North and South Korea ever occurred, it would throw the entire Asian (and probably global) economy into turmoil. and potentially draw China (who supports North Korea) and the US (allied with S. Korea) into cold war type hostilities - and also draw the US into war directly, as there are a ton of US military bases in South Korea.

So N. Korea is in a position of strength by way of the fact that a) they don't care about starving their people, so sanctions don't work; b) they have a powerful "big brother" in China, and (most importantly) c) they are well positioned to wreak chaos on the region and the world by way of the destructive military power they've built up over the past few decades.

And this will only be worsened if they get nuclear capabilities.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Two of the most stable and democratic nations in Asia are Japan and South Korea. Both of them are intrinsic to the global economy, both are strong allies of the United States/Europe/Australia/etc., and both provide critical strategic base locations and other forms of support for the US military.

North Korea has massive amounts of artillery and troops ready to devastate Seoul (check its proximity to the border on a map), killing thousands if not tens of thousands of people, should they ever choose a course of war. To Japan, their ability to develop nuclear missiles is somewhat akin to Russia putting nuclear missiles in Cuba in the 60s. They consider it an existential threat (as of course does South Korea).

If any militarized conflict between North and South Korea ever occurred, it would throw the entire Asian (and probably global) economy into turmoil. and potentially draw China (who supports North Korea) and the US (allied with S. Korea) into cold war type hostilities - and also draw the US into war directly, as there are a ton of US military bases in South Korea.

So N. Korea is in a position of strength by way of the fact that a) they don't care about starving their people, so sanctions don't work; b) they have a powerful "big brother" in China, and (most importantly) c) they are well positioned to wreak chaos on the region and the world by way of the destructive military power they've built up over the past few decades.

And this will only be worsened if they get nuclear capabilities.
    So what is the issue here? Does North Korea want to take over South Korea? Or Japan? Does South Korea want to take over North Korea?

If yes to any, why? is there natural resources there that they want?

From the little bit I've just come across, I see multiple border disputes. Is this what its all about? Also it seems the U.S. vs Russia tension from before has lead to some of this, does this still play a role in the dispute?

vCash
    Guess the North Koreans really aren't rocket scientists.

vCash

vCash
    They'll get it right one of these days. Man was made to break the sound barrier, and perhaps even go into outer space, and North Korea will make sure they are the first to accomplish this.

*Ends North Korean Propaganda machine*
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345