Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500

    GT: Cincinnati Reds -vs- Washington Nationals (April 12th-15th 2012)

    Cincinnati Reds @ Washington Nationals

    Nationals Park in Washington D.C.


    Game 1 - Thursday April 12th 1:05pm ET
    CIN: Latos (0-1, 7.71 ERA)
    WSH: Gonzalez (0-0, 9.82 ERA)
    NOTES: This is the Nationals home opener. Interesting matchup as the Reds were rumored in the offseason to be pursuing Gio Gonzalez in a trade. Ultimately the Reds traded for Mat Latos.


    Game 2 - Friday April 13th 7:05pm ET
    CIN: Arroyo (0-0, 5.68 ERA)
    WSH: Zimmermann (0-1, 1.29 ERA)


    Game 3 - Saturday April 14th 4:05pm ET
    CIN: Bailey (0-1, 6.35 ERA)
    WSH: Jackson (0-0, 5.40 ERA)
    NOTES: Bailey needs to pitch well or the call for Aroldis Chapman to start will get very loud.


    Game 4 - Sunday April 15th 1:35pm ET
    CIN: Leake (0-1, 4.50 ERA)
    WSH: Detwiler (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    Of the places I have visited, Nationals Park is my least favorite baseball stadium among all venues built within the last 20 years. Very undistinguished as a stadium, especially when you consider it's in our nations capital.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    Reds hitters are striking out too much with runners in scoring position. Absolutely the worst thing you can do. They need to relax and stop trying to do too much, just put the ball in play. We seen the same problem last year and it is continuing into this season already. It needs to be corrected immediately.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC
    Posts
    814
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    Of the places I have visited, Nationals Park is my least favorite baseball stadium among all venues built within the last 20 years. Very undistinguished as a stadium, especially when you consider it's in our nations capital.
    Do you like Nationals Park now?
    Love DC Sports

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC
    Posts
    814
    vCash
    1500
    Nice game and an even super win.
    Love DC Sports

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ShabbaWiz View Post
    Do you like Nationals Park now?
    No. It has nothing that says screams Washington DC to me. You look beyond the outfield fence and you see a parking garage. If you are at the perfect angle you might catch a quick glimpse of the Capitol Building. Other than the racing Presidents (which is a rip-off of Milwaukee's sausage race) I might as well be in Fargo North Dakota.
    Last edited by stsparks72; 04-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    I need to vent a little, so here is my rant.

    Other than Opening Day the Reds simply look deflated. Way too much talent on this team to look this poor, even if we are talking just 7 games, but we are not. This is a continuation of what we saw all of last year.

    With what transpired this offseason and over the last few weeks I'm starting realize something. Castellini has certainly done his part, Jocketty stepped up this year and done his part, but with all this added talent the team still looks exactly the same. In my opinion that is a direct reflection on the coaching staff. Maybe it's time the Reds seriously consider making some changes. I'm not calling for anybody's job, but the blame has to be placed somewhere.

    On another note, the Reds talk about generating revenue in the form of ticket sales. You know what, Chapman needs to start. PERIOD! Every time he starts the Reds would easily sell 5000+ additional seats. Jocketty needs to tell Dusty that Chapman is going to start, if he doesn't like it then he can walk. In addition to that Stubbs needs to be sent a message. Send him to the minors or sit him on the bench for a few weeks. We got an outfielder in Frazier who has proven he can hit. Heisey or Bruce can play CF.

    Lastly, we hear a lot about the Reds losing too many 1 run games. It's not about the 1 run games at all. If the Reds lose 9-8 I don't expect them to win that game anyway. Heck, I consider them lucky to score 8 runs and even be in the game. What's important is winning games where the opposition scores 3 runs or less. Good teams win a high percentage of those games. The Reds are already 2-2 this season when the opposition scores 3 runs or less. Pay attention to that stat as the season progresses and you will quickly be able to determine if the Reds are going to do well this year.

    -end rant.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ShabbaWiz View Post
    Nice game and an even super win.
    The Reds could learn something from the way the Nationals approached their hitting today. With runners in scoring position Mat Latos threw Adam LaRoche a perfect pitch low and away. LaRoche simply went down and slapped the ball into the outfield for a 2 run single. They put the ball in play and something positive happened. Reds hitters think they have to swing hard at every single pitch to make something happen. That is partly why they strikeout so much with RISP. Instead of putting the ball in play they try to rip the ball hard somewhere. The whole team does it, and they have done it for several years now. It's a direct result of the Reds coaching staff not changing the teams approach at the plate.

    Sometimes the big swing will work and then the Reds have an outbreak game where they score 7 or 8 runs. Against a good pitcher like Gio Gonzalez it doesn't work very often. Good pitchers use the Reds aggressive swinging tendencies against them. The Nationals Craig Stammen striking out the side on 10 pitches today is a good example of that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,778
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by stsparks72 View Post
    I need to vent a little, so here is my rant.

    Other than Opening Day the Reds simply look deflated. Way too much talent on this team to look this poor, even if we are talking just 7 games, but we are not. This is a continuation of what we saw all of last year.

    With what transpired this offseason and over the last few weeks I'm starting realize something. Castellini has certainly done his part, Jocketty stepped up this year and done his part, but with all this added talent the team still looks exactly the same. In my opinion that is a direct reflection on the coaching staff. Maybe it's time the Reds seriously consider making some changes. I'm not calling for anybody's job, but the blame has to be placed somewhere.

    On another note, the Reds talk about generating revenue in the form of ticket sales. You know what, Chapman needs to start. PERIOD! Every time he starts the Reds would easily sell 5000+ additional seats. Jocketty needs to tell Dusty that Chapman is going to start, if he doesn't like it then he can walk. In addition to that Stubbs needs to be sent a message. Send him to the minors or sit him on the bench for a few weeks. We got an outfielder in Frazier who has proven he can hit. Heisey or Bruce can play CF.

    Lastly, we hear a lot about the Reds losing too many 1 run games. It's not about the 1 run games at all. If the Reds lose 9-8 I don't expect them to win that game anyway. Heck, I consider them lucky to score 8 runs and even be in the game. What's important is winning games where the opposition scores 3 runs or less. Good teams win a high percentage of those games. The Reds are already 2-2 this season when the opposition scores 3 runs or less. Pay attention to that stat as the season progresses and you will quickly be able to determine if the Reds are going to do well this year.

    -end rant.
    you know i disagree with Chapman. be belongs in the bullpen in my honest opinion. I don't think he could do go in the rotation and he wouldn't be able to last long like a starter has too. i think he's a natural closer.

    and i agree this offense is ******. i think whoever chose the opening day roster is ********. why Willie Harris and Alfredo Simon made the team is beyond me. also i hate the Stubbs is hitting leadoff with Phillips out. he can't even hit in the 7th hole, so why is he batting leadoff? the second half of this lineup HAS to start hitting. period. the front guys are getting on base, and then they sit there and watch 3 people pop up or strike out. the same way it's been for like 10 years now. idk if it's the coaching staff or what, but somewhere something is not right. i would guess it being the coaching staff. I've never been a fan of Brook Jacoby. and i think this falls on his shoulders. he's the batting coach, it's his job to get the offense going and it's not.
    **********

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I've never been a fan of Brook Jacoby. and i think this falls on his shoulders. he's the batting coach, it's his job to get the offense going and it's not.
    I'm not really sure how the hitting can be this inconsistent for so long and absolutely nothing is done about it.

    I honestly don't know what fascination Dusty has Stubbs. I feel bad for bashing on the guy, but 2010 may have been his career year. Dusty just keeps running him out there every night somehow expecting a different result. It's the definition of insanity. Does anybody remember when they sent Jay Bruce down to the minors a few years ago to send him a message? Not sure why Stubbs gets a pass for the last year and a half.

    I did some number crunching. The Reds held opponents to 3 runs or less 70 times in 2011. Of those 70 times they won 50 and lost 20. So that means the Reds won 71% of those games. In comparison the Phillies held opponents to 3 runs or less 95 times in 2011 winning 80 and losing 15 (84% win ratio). That doesn't sound like a lot, but in reality it means the Reds wasted nearly 30% of their best pitching. The Phillies only wasted 15% of their better pitched games. That is nearly double for the Reds. A good team should win 80% or higher of the games in which they only allow 3 runs or less.

    In 2011 if the Reds would have won 85% of the games in which they gave up 3 runs or less they would have finished the season with 90 wins tying the Cardinals for the Wildcard. It's not always about who has the best pitching, it's about who takes advantage of their best pitching.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    America
    Posts
    24,778
    vCash
    1500
    trust me... i don't like bashing Stubbs either. but i'm also being realistic. and he's just not hitting. he hasn't been hitting and he strikes out a ton. he's batting .160 this year with 8 strikeouts and Dusty is still throwing him out there to bat leadoff.

    i don't even know why Simon is on this team though. he was cut from Baltimore last year for a reason and he's never even put up good stats in his career.
    **********

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    It seems to me the Reds have better options in the Minors than Alfredo Simon. Based upon his stats with Baltimore and after watching him pitch this past Saturday I'm not a big fan. Said they needed a veteran arm to replace Nick Masset.

    I don't know why Dusty didn't bring Bray in when the wheels started falling apart in the 10th. It's easy for me to say this now, but I didn't have a good feeling about Simon coming into the game to begin with. I wish I had a button on my remote control that would open a trap door beneath the pitchers mound.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    I'm at a loss for words. Reds are 2-3 on the young season in games where the opposition scores 3 runs or less. What a waste. You can't get these games back.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Alabama; From VA
    Posts
    9,064
    vCash
    1500
    Good series with you guys so far. Exciting ballgames. I definitely expect the next two to be nothing less.

    stsparks72, I respect your opinion on Nationals Park. One thing that hurts DC is building height since nothing can be taller than the Washington Monument. In other words, there is no skyline. The parking garage nonsense is my biggest gripe along with this ridiculous office building the city let be built that blocks the Capitol even more (SEEN HERE). The above ground vs below ground garage debate was huge when the stadium was being built. If you want more information about it, here's an article from back in 2006:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060702062.html

    To sum it up, tons of unreported oil tanks were found beneath the soil and the $21M budgeted for garages had an extra $29M tacked onto it if they built below ground. Combine that with the pressure from MLB to get the stadium ready for 2008 and other expense costs rising, the city had to make a decision by late June of 2006. Hopefully sometime down the road something can be done to eliminate the garages. But for now, they are there. And other buildings further away have gone up too.

    I think Nationals Park has been really hurt by the economy though. The surrounding area had big plans that are finally starting to take shape. But it's nowhere up to par with what was initially planned. Plus a building boom in the area was one of the reasons the city agreed to it since the old neighborhood was horrible. Otherwise there may be no ballpark or baseball in the district.

    I've been to every MLB ballpark (with the exception of Citi, Target and Marlins Park since they've been built) and I'd rank Nationals Park middle of the pack. I think that if you took the skyline away from many other ballparks, they'd go down in value as well. Views sell though, like prime real estate.

    Sorry about the novel/ramble. With that all said, I really enjoyed my visit to Great American back in 2003. Was only able to take in one game but I plan on going back in the coming years to "re-experience" it. Good luck the rest of the series.
    Last edited by YanksNats1987; 04-14-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: wanted to add a photo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,250
    vCash
    1500
    Great American Ball Park was kind of bland until they added the Pilot House in straight away center. Not sure if you got to see that in 2003, but it added a lot of character to the stadium. I know that Washington has the building height restriction and that really hurts them, but I wish they would have done something unique like KC with the fountains, Baltimore with the warehouse, or Arlington with the architectural walkways. Hopefully in the future they can make some changes.

    GABP without Pilot House


    GABP with Pilot House

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •