Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Using The Usage-Efficiency Distance Metric to Create Aging Curves for the NBA

I found this pretty interesting. I'm only posting the beginning bit so you can get a sense of where he's going with it, but proceed to the original post here to see his methodology and the charts.

Using The Usage-Efficiency Distance Metric to Create Aging Curves for the NBA
    Posted on April 8, 2012 | Leave a comment

An age-old question — see what I did there? — among APBRmetricians is trying to understand how aging affects players. Consider this post my first contribution to the discussion.

I calculated the distance metric that I introduced in a recent post for the 10,000 or so player seasons since the 3-pt shot was instituted. I then divided these seasons into four groups by age, as follows:

“very young” (18-21)
    “young” (22-25)
    “prime” (26-29)
    “old” (30+)

For each group, I used the lme4 package to create a mixed-effects model. Here is an example for the first group:
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Interesting Charts. The Overall Chart shows about what you would expect. Some nice individual charts. Would be interesting to see if there are difference between positions on how players develop.