Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I don't really know about this.. I'm really afraid he will walk to someone with more money willing to be given out. But to answer the "what kind of contract should be given to him" question is a lot tougher to answer. It all depends what the Yankees think his progression will be like over the next 5 or so years. I would like to see him get a 6 year contract 90-120 million. He is a very big asset to the Yankees and I think will progress well and better than most middle infielders. He doesn't dive a lot and doesn't steal a lot to risk injuries to deteriorate him quicker.

Cano=Yankee for life. Start a new core, like Jeter, Posada, Rivera and Pettitte!
    Cano, Gardner, Nova, Robertson!

vCash
    We will overpay and he's not worth the 100-120 million he'll command, but I suppose I can live with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    In the last week Brandon Phillips and Ian Kinsler both signed contract extensions and i was curious to know what everyone thought about how they would effect Cano's next contract

All 3 player are very close to the same age, Cano and Kinsler are both 29 and Phillips is 30. Phillips deal was for 6yrs 72.5M, Kinslers deal was 5yrs 75M. While IMO Cano is better than both of them they are similar players. Those 2 deals kinda set the market for elite 2nd baseman.

After seeing those 2 contracts what kind of deal do u think Cano will get in 2yrs. Cano's going to be 31 when he hits FA and middle infielders don't usually age well. If i had to guess if Cano has another 2yrs similar to the last couple he has had, Cano and Boras will probably be looking for a deal of similar value to what Reyes got over the winter. I would think the Yanks would want to give him a deal closer to what Kinsler got and settle somewhere in between.

I would think a 5 yr 90m deal with 6th yr option would be about right. If the Yanks were smart this would be the guy to re sign before his contract was up and hit the open market. The Dodgers with their new owners and TV deal are going to be willing to throw around alot of money in the next couple yrs.

Considering the deals Phillips and Kinsler signed what kind of deal do u think its going to take and be fair for both sides to resign Cano
    In terms of WAR it's not such a clear cut case that Cano is the better second baseman between him and Kinsler. As for who's the better defensively, it's debatable.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    The Cano contract question is gonna be a very interesting and challenging negotiation for the Yankees front office.

Something tells me Cashman will present a fair market value contract to Cano, somewhere north of Kinsler's annual contract value for about 5 years, and stand firm on it.

I do not think Cashman will getting into a bidding war or outbid the competetion for Cano as it would run counter to his mandate to cut salary and become more cap/luxury tax friendly as a franchise.

I just think by the time we negotiate with Cano, the length and burden of the Arod deal will be fresh in their mind making the Yankees very unwillling to get tied up in a long term deal.

I could see a team like the Dodgers coming in and making Cano an offer he cant refuse.

I love Cano and I would hate to see him go but if the contract doesnt make sense for the Yankees both short term and long term than we should make the tough decision to let him walk.

Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

My UFC Crew:

HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford1829 View Post
    The Cano contract question is gonna be a very interesting and challenging negotiation for the Yankees front office.

Something tells me Cashman will present a fair market value contract to Cano, somewhere north of Kinsler's annual contract value for about 5 years, and stand firm on it.

I do not think Cashman will getting into a bidding war or outbid the competetion for Cano as it would run counter to his mandate to cut salary and become more cap/luxury tax friendly as a franchise.

I just think by the time we negotiate with Cano, the length and burden of the Arod deal will be fresh in their mind making the Yankees very unwillling to get tied up in a long term deal.

I could see a team like the Dodgers coming in and making Cano an offer he cant refuse.

I love Cano and I would hate to see him go but if the contract doesnt make sense for the Yankees both short term and long term than we should make the tough decision to let him walk.
    Cano will be a lifetime Yankee like Bernie, Posada, Mo and Jeter...Granderson will be the one who will be leaving IMO....

vCash
    Cano has 30 AB so far this year and zero strikeouts

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    ^ And?

He's always been good at not striking out.

vCash
    I think he is the only one with 25+ AB without a strikeout...

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    Well there is his first SO of the season

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.

vCash
    I know Robbies former agent Bobby Barad personally, he's my neighbor and we also run and play basketball together at the gym and he's a memeber at the club I used to give golf lessons at so we played golf a few times too...an I can tell you this. Robby wants way more than 5 years at 90, Robby wants in the 20m range. Before Bobby B got fired for and I quote Bobby B: "Blood sucking Boras" Bobby never discussed much about it with me but now he doesn't care. Their original goal was 8 years 170 with MVP/Allstar/gold glove/silver slugger - incentives and a full no trade . Who knows what it will be with Boras, so just keep that I'm mind.
    Last edited by DasBoot; 04-16-2012 at 09:46 AM.

vCash
    Bobby B also represents or did represent I dont know anymore Jamie Garcia, Troy Tulowitzky, Evan Longoria, One of the young pitchers the Yankees almost signed from the Rockies last season (forgot his name) , Colby Rasmus, Jack Cust and a few others I forgot. And no, it wasn't him that negotiated the terrible Longoria contract, it was his parter who was let go shortly after. I know for a fact that Tulo an Longo are still his clients and during a round last summer we joked about Longo on the Yankees when his contract is up in about 2-3 years and he got serious and said Longo loves New York especially Westchester, Loves the Yankee tradition, loves the stadium and loves the fans because they are so "passionate and knowledgeable" and also loves Joe Girardi. And doesn't know how things will play out because he doesn't think Tampa will be able to afford him but loves Joe Maddon like a father and loves his teammates but is constantly irked that the stadium is always half empty. So there is your tease of the week for you guys... Longo in pinstripes
    Last edited by DasBoot; 04-16-2012 at 09:44 AM.

vCash
    i dont think we need to jump and sign him, who really is out there that would pay him that kind of money?

i can think the blue jays, the twins, maybe by then the whitesox so why should the yankees overpay? screw him

vCash
    I could see the Dodgers going crazy for him with the new ownership and all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thapastime7 View Post
    honestly the yankees are killing themselves not giving players extension while in contracts this makes the other teams drive up the price personally i would give him his long term deal now so we dont have to over pay for his later year when he will be up there in age ...he is 29 very established why not give him his deal now for 8 years that way he will be 37 and you could move on or offer him less money if he still productive
    I agree with you. Resign him now-ish,
    Suck it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    Bobby B also represents or did represent I dont know anymore Jamie Garcia, Troy Tulowitzky, Evan Longoria, One of the young pitchers the Yankees almost signed from the Rockies last season (forgot his name) , Colby Rasmus, Jack Cust and a few others I forgot. And no, it wasn't him that negotiated the terrible Longoria contract, it was his parter who was let go shortly after. I know for a fact that Tulo an Longo are still his clients and during a round last summer we joked about Longo on the Yankees when his contract is up in about 2-3 years and he got serious and said Longo loves New York especially Westchester, Loves the Yankee tradition, loves the stadium and loves the fans because they are so "passionate and knowledgeable" and also loves Joe Girardi. And doesn't know how things will play out because he doesn't think Tampa will be able to afford him but loves Joe Maddon like a father and loves his teammates but is constantly irked that the stadium is always half empty. So there is your tease of the week for you guys... Longo in pinstripes
    Hope the comments about Longo are true man. My 3 favorite non-yankees are Tulo, Longo, and Ryan Zimmerman.
    Suck it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast