Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Indians to sign Johnny Damon

From MLB Trade Rumors:

The Indians will sign Johnny Damon, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (all Twitter links). The deal includes a full no-trade clause and allows Damon to opt-out on a specified date after Grady Sizemore returns. Sizemore is expected to miss 8-12 weeks due to back surgery. Financial terms of the deal are unknown. We heard that the Scott Boras client would sign by May earlier this month.

Damon, 38, figures to step into Cleveland's left field situation as soon as he's ready to join the team. Shelley Duncan has started all five of the Indians' games in left, but he's best deployed as the right-handed half of a platoon. A fit between the Tribe and Damon seemed natural for most of the offseason.

Just 277 hits away from 3,000 for his career, Damon hit .261/.326/.418 with 16 homers and 19 steals for the Rays last season. He has played fewer than 400 total innings in the outfield over the last two years, but he has appeared in at least 140 games in each of the past 16 years.

The Indians tried to acquire Bobby Abreu a few weeks ago, presumably for the same role Damon will fill.

vCash
    So after Sizemore returns Damon can opt out. "What If" Sizemore returns for a day then breaks his knees running the bases? Can Damon Opt back in? Is it like Tag Team Wrestling? Is Ken Rosenthal the equivalent of Michael Buffer "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!""""

vCash
    LOL. Your guess is as good as mine. Weird structure to the contract. Never heard of anything like that before.

vCash
    Counting on Grady Sizemore to stay healthy is like counting on Tom Sizemore to stay clean... it's a futile journey... but seems to be the Dolan's and FO's MO. And that's why 500 people were at the game today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    So after Sizemore returns Damon can opt out. "What If" Sizemore returns for a day then breaks his knees running the bases? Can Damon Opt back in? Is it like Tag Team Wrestling? Is Ken Rosenthal the equivalent of Michael Buffer "Let's Get Ready to Rumble!!!""""
    Nice use of the annoying "What if" ad campaign.

vCash
    horrible move. their is a reason 38 yr olds dont play in mlb anymore.

vCash
    Why is this a horrible move? I personally think it is one of the better moves they have made this year. I mean he played well last year and I think he can still play up to that level. People can't expect a 30 year old Johnny Damon anymore. Look at how Orlando cabrera helped us last year. He made some impact plays especially early in the season. Im glad we got Johnny over abrue. At least Johnny can still run

vCash
    We signed a vet for almost the league minimum. If he wants out after Sizemore returns...that is fine because we got Sizemore back. Net even.

Would you rather have Fred Lewis?

vCash
    i think its better than the abreu move. damon has more speed than abreu(albeit not by a lot but more) and more power at this stage in his career and he puts together pretty solid AB's.. were not a great hitting team but i will give our guys this. we've been working the count a lot more so far

The start of something great to come in Carolina, bring on the haters!

vCash
    oh i agree, way better than the abreu move. that's no doubt. but he put up avg numbers last year. maybe he will provide a spark. maybe not. honestly, if he's committed to this team, why would he want an out clause when sizemore gets back? it's just a weird situation. also, this just adds more questions to the outfield. what do you do with duncan? do these two split time or is johnny the every day guy? i like versatility in a line-up and a player but i am starting to think the tribe has too much with duncan, lopez, hannahan, donald, santanna. as a player it is hard to find consistency when there is no normalcy or rhythm to your everyday.

vCash
    There is technically no out clause in his contract, as initially reported. Apparently if he's not playing well, or not playing they will "discuss" his contract and potentially release him. But nothing saying he can walk out whenever he wants. He just wants to play, and play well. Knowing that poor play wouldn't really benefit himself or the Indians.

I like the move honestly. At worst he's just here to put people in the seats, similar to the Thome move of '11. Only upside is that he can play a little bit of outfield. Having really only Choo, Duncan, and Brantley another OF could help. Only issue is, who can play where? If say Brantley is out, who can fill in at center? can Duncan play center? can Choo? Man in a perfect world I wish Damon was a 1B...

They'll probably just send Cunningham down, which I have no problem with. Maybe look to add or develop some OF prospects soon. I like the idea of grooming Donald to play OF, since IF seems to be a bit full at the moment.

vCash
    unfortunately, they can't send cunningham down without exposing him to waivers. he is out of options. damon does play a little first base-similar to duncan. he can play there but it ain't pretty. choo can play center (it's not ideal, but he can do it for a game or two) my question is where is damon going to play in AAA? crowe and huffman are mashing. they will have to drop spilboroghs (no big loss) and either bench carrera or drop him down to AA. now that i know it is a minor league deal with damon, i guess it's not so bad and the fact that its a gentleman's agreement when sizemore comes back is probably a good thing. now thinking about it, it does give sizemore a chance to rehab a little longer down in the minors.
    i think kotchman saw the stats laporta was putting up in AAA and decided he needed to fix his swing real fast.

vCash
    /\ Is LaPorta hitting well in AAA? I really want him to take his game to the next level. We seem to do so well when we trade low end players but when ever we make the big trade, we suck at it. Although I think the VMart trade worked out in our favor.

What's nice about Kotchman though is his D. I saw some of his Jason Donald picks the other day. Saved some runs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacco111 View Post
    /\ Is LaPorta hitting well in AAA? I really want him to take his game to the next level. We seem to do so well when we trade low end players but when ever we make the big trade, we suck at it. Although I think the VMart trade worked out in our favor.

What's nice about Kotchman though is his D. I saw some of his Jason Donald picks the other day. Saved some runs.
    I feel like we've seen this before with LaPorta... he hits well in AAA then can't convert as well with Quadruple A (AKA, the Indians). I'm good with leaving Kotchman in, especially after he's bashed a couple HRs. And we have his defensive skills even though, he and Hannahan have had the unlikely errors.

vCash
    I agree kotchman is a great fit but what happened to garland I heard we signed him but where is he??? He would fit great with our rotation... With him masterson jiminez Lowe would be a great 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast