Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

This team was trash

Is anyone else worried that this final push towards (but short of) the playoffs will save a lot of jobs that should have been lost after this season? I am worried that the late season relevance of this team will mask the fact that Ruff coached a soft team, that Roy, Stafford, and Vanek were total disappointments, and that Miller has lost a step.

What, can we, as fans, do to make sure that our management does not rest on the laurels of this minor turnaround at the end of the season? I have such a strong feeling that they're going to rely on this brief snippet of the season to define this roster, which is dying for a major overhaul. Even if we were contending for a playoff spot towards the end, it was still 8th place in a conference of 15.

Is there any relief in sight for a Sabres fan? What do you think? Will management ball up and make some changes, or will it bury its head in the sand and point to the late season push as hope for the future?

vCash
    Look at my last comment on the 2nd thread. You'll KNOW what I mean!
    I'm Jim Morrison's Spirit.
    I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then- whoosh, and I'm gone...and they'll never see anything like it ever again... and they won't be able to forget me- ever.- Jim Morrison
    Gimme Me A Bottle Of Anything And A Glazed Donut.......To GO!
    Bills,Browns,Nets,Sabres,Yankees,Indians,Pirates,USC Trojans,Syracuse Orange,Jeff Gordon Fan

vCash
    I wouldn't exactly say 'trash'. You were something like two points from making the playoffs. I feel like Lindy Ruff is one of the best coaches in the NHL. Your defense is okay, if they can just stay healthy. I'm a big fan of Ryan Miller too.

The key IMO, is underachieving forwards.

Derek Roy, Drew Stafford could probably put up another 10 goals, Thomas Vanek, Ville Leino, and Brad Boyes.

vCash
    When the top two D are out (Myers and Ehrhoff) the Sabres lose games. No surprise here. When you have 3 AHL players and Sekera playing D because of injuries, there will be many, many turnovers.

I think to be a good, winning team in the NHL today you need to average 3 goals a night. The Sabres offense could not do that for a portion of the season. We have some forwards who didn't work out that well. We will have more cap room with the players who are free agents this year.

If our D (when healthy) could prop up the O we had this year, it should be even better next year.

1.) Sign a top 4 or top 6 D man this offseason. Preferably a "stay at home" one.
    2.) Explore options for Roy/Vanek if they result in players like Parise or Kane. Probably will not happen, but you never know.
    3.) Take a C first in the draft. Trade up with two first rounders if necessary.
    4.) Take a D second.
    5.) After that, prefer C over RW/LW and F over D. Select based on value.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Yeah, 2 games out from making the playoffs is pathetic. More than 1/2 the teams in the conference made it. We had the highest payroll and a below average team. We need a total rebuild from management on down through the roster but we won't get it because of this too-little-too-late push that we made.

This owner is weak. He's just going to throw money around without making the tough decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BranWingss View Post
    I wouldn't exactly say 'trash'. You were something like two points from making the playoffs. I feel like Lindy Ruff is one of the best coaches in the NHL. Your defense is okay, if they can just stay healthy. I'm a big fan of Ryan Miller too.

The key IMO, is underachieving forwards.

Derek Roy, Drew Stafford could probably put up another 10 goals, Thomas Vanek, Ville Leino, and Brad Boyes.
    we say this every year and they don't do it. They STINK. There's no way around the evidence at this point. I don't know what it is about Sabres fans but we overvalue our guys tremendously.

Brad Boyes is not even an NHL level player. He did nothing all year.