Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Scott Baker out for Season

It's bad news for the Twins.
    And even worse news for Scott Baker.
    The righthander needs surgery to repair a damaged flexor pronator tendon that will require six months of recovery and rehab, which*ends his 2012 season.
    "As you know, it's been a battle," Baker said. " Unfortunately, it's a losing battle at this point."
    Baker said it's the same problem that landed him on the DL twice last season.
    The surgery will be performed by Dr. David Altcheck, the same doctor who did Tommy John surgeries in Joe Nathan and Kyle Gibson.
    It's a blow for the Twins because Baker, at age 30, looked to be hitting his stride as a starter, posting a 3.14 ERA last season.
    For Baker, the timing couldn't be worse. The Twins hold a 2013 option for $9.5 million that probably won't get picked up.
    "I feel bad for Scott,'' Twins GM Terry Ryan said during a press conference at Target Field
    -Strib

Tough break, but it almost seemed expected. I still think there's a chance we pick up next years option since its only a six month recovery, or they could just restructure it. It not like we have too much depth.

vCash
    I think with the history of injuries it's unlikely his option will be picked up. If it's not, that means the Twins have one of their five projected starters under contract next year, Nick Blackburn. Insert Hendriks and the Twins still need to find three more arms. I've said before that I can't see any scenario where Liriano will be back. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-season extension for Pavano.

This training staff has some explaining to do. How many mis-diagnosed injuries need to happen before some changes are made? Ryan has egg all over his face right now because of the faulty information. Last week he passive-agressively implied that Baker needed to toughen up and get back in the rotation.

vCash
    What starting arms are out there looking for work? I'm certain there is at least one guy that is a better option than what we have.

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 05-25-2012 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 05-25-2012 at 02:41 AM.

vCash
    -

vCash
    If Scott makes a decent recovery, and pitches the way he's capable, he is definitely worth that money.

vCash
    -

vCash
    -

vCash
    Michael Bowden would be a terrific claim Matty, if the Twins have not already done so, I would be extremely disappointed. He still has potential as a starter or reliever and would likely already be a substantial upgrade over half of the current guys in the bullpen.

vCash
    wait, so you're saying Bowden would be a better pickup than, say, Henry Sanchez...who the Twins drafted AHEAD of Bowden in 2005?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Ha, it is so depressing when you play that game. All clubs pass on good players but that is a pretty funny one considering the Red Sox had three suplimental picks that year after the Twins picked Sanchez and they got Buccholz, Lowrie and Bowden.

My favorite is the Matt Moses pick in 2003. The Twins passed on David Aardsma, Chad Billingsly, Carlos Quinten and Adam Jones. But then to redeem themselves, they did take Scott Baker in the 2nd, the only player other than Andre Either in that round that has really been above replacement level.

The Twins have gone through a pretty awful period of drafting though. Ben Revere was drafted in the 1st round of the 2007 draft, no player drafted and signed by the Twins in any round since has made it to the majors. The Twins are slow with development, but none of their picks in the last SIX years have made it to the majors yet aside from Revere. That says either the scouting department is quite poor, or those in charge of development are not doing their jobs.

vCash
    Tommy John

Teddy Bridgewater | Andrew Wiggins | Byron Buxton
    THE FUTURE IS NOW

vCash
    -
    Last edited by MattyG; 05-25-2012 at 02:40 AM.

vCash
    And at the time everyone was in agreement that Moses was a fantastic steal at that point of the draft. The medical condition was a pretty bad break for the guy, but if memory serves, his ego was holding him back before it was discovered and people were already calling him a bust. But like I mentioned, the Twins redeemed themselves by taking one of only two servicable players picked in the second round.

Unless the Red Sox have secretly traded Bowden, not claiming him makes no sense to me. I don't know what value they see in Gray, Maloney, Burton or Burnett that they don't see in Bowden.