Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Nene Trade

vCash

The Nene Trade

I was kind of wondering about the Nene trade and I did a little bit of math.

Nene was averaging...in WAS in 6 games
    30 min per game
    15.5 Points a game
    8 Rebounds per game
    54% shooting
    70% free throw
    Salary 13,000,000

Since the trade Faried has been averaging in 14 games
    24.5 min per game
    12.2 points a game
    8 rebound per game
    57% shooting
    73% Free throw
    Salary 1,275,000

I understand stats maybe a little misguiding but Nene's inability to stay healthy he is averaging kind of what he did for Denver when he should be the star. The "difference" is 3 points and i wouldn't consider it a big gap because Faried gets less playing time and isn't the go to guy. He also brings energy unlike Nene. 3 points less for 12 million dollars less.

So I also want to ask, is Nene one of the most overrated players in the league? Is Masai one of the better GM's in the league?

vCash
    And is Faried going to get a big deal later on?

vCash
    Yes to all your questions.

vCash
    If Faried continues to perform like he is and has a few more of these 20+ 10+ games then he will surely warrant a 7-8 mil per year deal. Nene has been pretty resilient for the most part except for this year and 1 other year in his career. All of the other seasons he's played pretty much the majority of the season. This trade was due to the rise in play of Faried who is rebounding and scoring at a much higher rate than Nene. Plus Nene has proven that he is soft down in the post and is pretty much lost come playoff time. Hopefully Faried can perform in the playoffs, unlike Nene who has proven he is unable to do. Masai is an excellent GM, rarely you get the chance to dump a huge, newly signed and overpriced contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1bui View Post
    If Faried continues to perform like he is and has a few more of these 20+ 10+ games then he will surely warrant a 7-8 mil per year deal. Nene has been pretty resilient for the most part except for this year and 1 other year in his career. All of the other seasons he's played pretty much the majority of the season. This trade was due to the rise in play of Faried who is rebounding and scoring at a much higher rate than Nene. Plus Nene has proven that he is soft down in the post and is pretty much lost come playoff time. Hopefully Faried can perform in the playoffs, unlike Nene who has proven he is unable to do. Masai is an excellent GM, rarely you get the chance to dump a huge, newly signed and overpriced contract.
    1) Faried is on the 1st year of his rookie contract - he's a long way off from 8 mill per. And 2) Nene has missed a lot more than "one other year" - he has a history of injury and health problems. He was never worth that kind of money and should have given the Nuggets a home town discount if he wanted to stay - lord knows the Nuggets paid him enough money not to play over the years. Bad signing to begin with do to $ and history, great trade deadline salary dump.

vCash
    The most key stat of all is missing.

Games played since the trade:

Nene: 6

McGee: 12
    Faried: 12

A pattern likely to continue indefinitely into the future if this season is any indication.
    I blog basketball at Roundball Mining Company///Twitter: @denbutsu

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    faried has already proven in his rookie year that he is better at pretty much every facet of the game over nene. he simply has the best motor out of any rookies. the amount of work he puts in on every play is astonishing and he has more than made up for his height. we all knew he would rebound well in the nba but honestly never thought he could dominate like he has in some games. the boston game, gsw game and the game last night were all very impressive performances. steal of the draft and probably a top 3 rookie right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by setman2000 View Post
    1) Faried is on the 1st year of his rookie contract - he's a long way off from 8 mill per. And 2) Nene has missed a lot more than "one other year" - he has a history of injury and health problems. He was never worth that kind of money and should have given the Nuggets a home town discount if he wanted to stay - lord knows the Nuggets paid him enough money not to play over the years. Bad signing to begin with do to $ and history, great trade deadline salary dump.
    Never stated that he is guaranteed to be making that much, just saying if he continues to perform as he is, it will warrant a contract of that amount. There has been just 3 seasons in which Nene has not played at least 75% of the games.
    Last edited by jt1bui; 04-13-2012 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    I don't know if I can say he's overrated...

IF he's healthy

AND

IF he gives it his all

AND

IF he doesn't move to PF and stays at C....He's not terrible. The problem is he is never does all these things at once.

IMO, he'll be a 20-10 guy when he plays on a terrible team like the Wizards. He actually had 20-10+ in 3 of the games he played after the trade.

Personally I was excited to see him move to PF (since it was his natural position), but playing C for the past few years didn't help him one bit. He uses his quickness against slower 5's and that's where he had an advantage. It seemed like he just couldn't hang with the PF's this year.

As for the contract- he was going to get good money regardless, because decent big men are hard to find, and he can play. I do think the Nuggets overpaid, and I'll take McGee's potential contract next year for 8-10 mil over Nene's ginormous contract any day.

The FO is staying true to the plan- and with a few more pieces I think we have the tools for a serious playoff run.

vCash
    Yeah, I'll believe Nene can average 10+ rebounds when he actually does it for an entire season. He's been in the league how many years now (8? 9?) and never done it even once, despite having the kind of physique that should EASILY allow him to bully most of his opponents around near the rim. He just doesn't have that knack for boxing out and getting to the ball, or that killer instinct aggression to throw his weight around. Shame, too. He has the tools for greatness, but he'll most likely never embrace them.

Atheists Of PSD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1bui View Post
    Never stated that he is guaranteed to be making that much, just saying if he continues to perform as he is, it will warrant a contract of that amount. There has been just 3 seasons in which Nene has not played at least 75% of the games.
    1) I wasn't talking about how much Faried will make on future contracts - simply stating that since he's only a rookie, that doesn't even matter right now because it's years away. 2) You said "Nene has been pretty resilient for the most part except for this year and 1 other year in his career." Pro-rating this season out to 82 games I gave Nene 43 starts (he's only played in 34 out of 60 now) for this year. That would put him at 571 games in 10 seasons or about 57 games a year or 69.6% for his career. Not really that resillient unless you're comparing him to Greg Oden. On top of that he's averaged 12.4 pts and 7 rebounds - with the money he's made considering his production and missed games Nene is one of the luckiest SOB's in the NBA! Thank you Washington!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perl567 View Post
    I don't know if I can say he's overrated...

IF he's healthy

AND

IF he gives it his all

AND

IF he doesn't move to PF and stays at C....He's not terrible. The problem is he is never does all these things at once.

IMO, he'll be a 20-10 guy when he plays on a terrible team like the Wizards. He actually had 20-10+ in 3 of the games he played after the trade.

Personally I was excited to see him move to PF (since it was his natural position), but playing C for the past few years didn't help him one bit. He uses his quickness against slower 5's and that's where he had an advantage. It seemed like he just couldn't hang with the PF's this year.

As for the contract- he was going to get good money regardless, because decent big men are hard to find, and he can play. I do think the Nuggets overpaid, and I'll take McGee's potential contract next year for 8-10 mil over Nene's ginormous contract any day.

The FO is staying true to the plan- and with a few more pieces I think we have the tools for a serious playoff run.
    He's too soft to play with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by setman2000 View Post
    1) I wasn't talking about how much Faried will make on future contracts - simply stating that since he's only a rookie, that doesn't even matter right now because it's years away. 2) You said "Nene has been pretty resilient for the most part except for this year and 1 other year in his career." Pro-rating this season out to 82 games I gave Nene 43 starts (he's only played in 34 out of 60 now) for this year. That would put him at 571 games in 10 seasons or about 57 games a year or 69.6% for his career. Not really that resillient unless you're comparing him to Greg Oden. On top of that he's averaged 12.4 pts and 7 rebounds - with the money he's made considering his production and missed games Nene is one of the luckiest SOB's in the NBA! Thank you Washington!
    Well regardless, he is off our hands now and thank goodness.

vCash
    I like that someone put up this thread I just wish that tp13baby had said more in his initial post.

With the trade of Nene it seemed to me that this was the front office basically punting on the rest of the Denver Nuggets season. Not to say that they are giving up on the season and the playoffs but the hopes and aspirations for the team at the beginning of the season never fully materialized except for maybe a couple of months in the beginning, so they decided to go in a different direction.

Before the start of the season resigning Nene and Affalo were Masai's top priorities with Nene being one of the top free agent prospects out there with a lot of interest from other teams. So Masai Ujiri made a big splash by signing him to what many felt was too much money. This put a lot of pressure on Nene to perform and stay healthy which he hasn't been ever since the first preseason game that he played in.

Is it good riddance that he is gone maybe so, but with a team bereft of stars either due to injury, trades or just general perception, losing a player with Nene's POTENTIAL, you notice how I didn't say production, doesn't help the Nuggets identity as they go on without him.

One last thing Chris "Birdman" Anderson, as the last member of the team that contested the 2009 Western Conference Finals, please turn out the lights when you are gone!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eman View Post
    I like that someone put up this thread I just wish that tp13baby had said more in his initial post.

With the trade of Nene it seemed to me that this was the front office basically punting on the rest of the Denver Nuggets season. Not to say that they are giving up on the season and the playoffs but the hopes and aspirations for the team at the beginning of the season never fully materialized except for maybe a couple of months in the beginning, so they decided to go in a different direction.

Before the start of the season resigning Nene and Affalo were Masai's top priorities with Nene being one of the top free agent prospects out there with a lot of interest from other teams. So Masai Ujiri made a big splash by signing him to what many felt was too much money. This put a lot of pressure on Nene to perform and stay healthy which he hasn't been ever since the first preseason game that he played in.

Is it good riddance that he is gone maybe so, but with a team bereft of stars either due to injury, trades or just general perception, losing a player with Nene's POTENTIAL, you notice how I didn't say production, doesn't help the Nuggets identity as they go on without him.

One last thing Chris "Birdman" Anderson, as the last member of the team that contested the 2009 Western Conference Finals, please turn out the lights when you are gone!
    Nene has already reached the point in his career where his potential is all but certain to have plateaued. See this great research on aging curves for a very revealing explanation of that. It's not about Nene specifically, but as a player who is near 30 and has played 9 seasons, the model certainly applies to him.

Atheists Of PSD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast