Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Burke's "Last Stand"

We've all heard the press confrence. We've all heard the anger and angst that Brian Burke presented today. It seemed like he knows he has put himself into this nightmare and that he is going to have to defend it.

But we need to recognize that his time is up-as he has defined to us. He needs to produce this year or face a dismissal. He knows that if major strides aren't made this summer and into the season, he will lose his job and some of his pridefully defended credability.

That being said......
    Does he trade this pick for a proven commodity?
    Does he pick the best talent available?
    Does he pull off a summer that no one expects? (ie Sedin draft, Pronger trade)

This his Burke's Last Stand. What will he do?

vCash
    I think trades are the best route. he said today he has no interest in FA's he wants to go the trade route. He has to have a trade that saves his *** and makes this team better.

They have some pieces but they need to improve in many spots. I think the draft is a big question mark, your guess is as good as mine.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    here is a question...What does he need to do to keep his job? If somehow he swung a trade with the Oilers for the first overall and kept the 5th but neither of those players played this year and we missed the playoffs again would that be enough?

Is it playoffs or firing squad? That would sure be one tough situation for him to be in if short term pain for long term gain was an option but it would mean his job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderkeiths View Post
    here is a question...What does he need to do to keep his job? If somehow he swung a trade with the Oilers for the first overall and kept the 5th but neither of those players played this year and we missed the playoffs again would that be enough?

Is it playoffs or firing squad? That would sure be one tough situation for him to be in if short term pain for long term gain was an option but it would mean his job.
    That is exactly my thought. He needs to do a lot of something, what is that something?

vCash
    He wont trade the pick he said he was going to picked a high skilled defensemen or forward.
    **** SIGS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    That is exactly my thought. He needs to do a lot of something, what is that something?
    its really hard to say..i have believed for a while now that Edmonton is the perfect trade partner for the leafs.So I would not be surprised to see something there. Shenn or Phaneuf as a starting point?

Is Suter a realistic possibility? There would have to be cap space cleared.

Nash I think the price will just be way to high.

My preference is to keep the pick at all cost... make one big deal of some type... sign a vetern goalie if something is out there or make a trade for one. And them make as many smaller deals as it takes to add some grit and size.

Sounds so simple doesnt it..

But as long as there is some type of positive progress in most of these areas it would be better than this year..

vCash
    We all want a great young player yet all we wanna do is deal the pick. Weak draft or not, use the damn pick please or move up.

vCash
    If only we had of traded Mac, and Schenn for 1st's at the deadline.
    Could have packed three, for a huge deal to move up.
    Head of the Bandwagon to make tunnicliffderek the Miami Dolphins Manager, Guaranteeing us another 72' season

Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    i would trade our first,our 1st next yr and cam wake for aj green.Locker isnt a project hed start day one
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnicliffderek View Post
    i think cutler is worth 2 1st rounders and a 3rd thats just me though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BluejaysFan08 View Post
    If only we had of traded Mac, and Schenn for 1st's at the deadline.
    Could have packed three, for a huge deal to move up.
    Okay, people don't seem to understand here-Mac would have been dealt for a conditional first. In other words, we only get a first for him if the other team got to the conference finals or cup finals. In other words, in the 26-30 range. Would I have done it? probably but believe me, you don't even wanna know the percentages of a guy picked that late of being an actual impact player. Schenn on the other hand would have been foolish to deal. Chances are, the offer wasn't for a good pick either. It's pointless really. Funny really because if Burke deals those guys and people ***** a few years down the road while Mac is putting up 20+ goals a year and Schenn is one of the better shutdown guys. This is also a terrible time to deal Schenn, his value is as low as ever. If you're going to deal him, deal him to move up and get Yak.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by halladaymvp View Post
    Okay, people don't seem to understand here-Mac would have been dealt for a conditional first. In other words, we only get a first for him if the other team got to the conference finals or cup finals. In other words, in the 26-30 range. Would I have done it? probably but believe me, you don't even wanna know the percentages of a guy picked that late of being an actual impact player. Schenn on the other hand would have been foolish to deal. Chances are, the offer wasn't for a good pick either. It's pointless really. Funny really because if Burke deals those guys and people ***** a few years down the road while Mac is putting up 20+ goals a year and Schenn is one of the better shutdown guys. This is also a terrible time to deal Schenn, his value is as low as ever. If you're going to deal him, deal him to move up and get Yak.
    Exactly, I would have done the Mac deal, but Schenn would not have made sense. His value right now might argue otherwise, but the upside is still there. When Edmonton won the lottery, right away I figured there was a good fit to trade up. Schenn + 5th + ? for 1st pick. I would love to see Phaneuf also go to Edmonton in a trade and sign Suter, but will never happen as Burke just loves ol Dion.

vCash
    i put 75% odds that the oilers trade that pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    i put 75% odds that the oilers trade that pick.
    I agree. Only thing I disagree with is the percentage. I think its as close to 100% as you can get. Edmonton will actively try to move that pick and here's my reasoning...

First, Edmonton has plenty of high end forward skill.
    Second, as those young players come off their entry level contract they will demand big money and the team has to try to commit to them all (Hall, Eberle, Gagne, RNH, Omark, and possibly Payarvi). They don't necessarily need another top end forward, they need depth and leadership there. More importantly, they need those depth guys at reasonable contracts.
    Third, they absolutely need help on defense and many have made it clear that it their priority.

Conclusion...pretty good match up for trading with the Leafs. It all depends on how much Edmonton covets any of our D (Schenn, Franson, Gunnarson.......hopefully Komi-just kidding). Gardiner is not in that mix for me. I believe the pick and Gardiner may be a lot to move up, but I may be wrong.

vCash
    If the Oilers moved back to #5 and took a Dman and Schenn I think they'd be light years ahead. Schenn might just need a change of scenery and a you top end Dman could grow with the current core to come out blazing in the next 3 or 4yrs.

I think they'd want more than that though...another high end prospect or 2nd round pick at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    I agree. Only thing I disagree with is the percentage. I think its as close to 100% as you can get. Edmonton will actively try to move that pick and here's my reasoning...

First, Edmonton has plenty of high end forward skill.
    Second, as those young players come off their entry level contract they will demand big money and the team has to try to commit to them all (Hall, Eberle, Gagne, RNH, Omark, and possibly Payarvi). They don't necessarily need another top end forward, they need depth and leadership there. More importantly, they need those depth guys at reasonable contracts.
    Third, they absolutely need help on defense and many have made it clear that it their priority.

Conclusion...pretty good match up for trading with the Leafs. It all depends on how much Edmonton covets any of our D (Schenn, Franson, Gunnarson.......hopefully Komi-just kidding). Gardiner is not in that mix for me. I believe the pick and Gardiner may be a lot to move up, but I may be wrong.
    i agree

i think it starts with schenn and franson and goes from there...while we keep our 5th pick...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by savio vega View Post
    i agree

i think it starts with schenn and franson and goes from there...while we keep our 5th pick...
    Yeah "goes from there".....up! Way up! Way, way up!

Just said it another thread. You cant get 1st overall without giving up either our 1st or Gardiner. I may be wrong, but if Burke can do that, it would justify the last 4 years. That would be more impressive then trading up for the Sedins.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast