Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Leyland

vCash

Jim Leyland

This guy gets beat up across the web by Tigers fans. I don't get it. I would take him over any Manager in MLB right now with this team. The players absolutely love him and I wish Tiger fans treated him a little better.

I realize he has some questionable lineups, but he has complete control over what could be one of our best teams of all-time.

Support Ol'Smokey this year.

Here's a great video and is one of the reasons I like this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKeA...eature=related

vCash
    It's hip to bash the guy in charge and trust me I've been on board that bandwagon.

vCash
    He's average at best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedmario View Post
    This guy gets beat up across the web by Tigers fans. I don't get it. I would take him over any Manager in MLB right now with this team. The players absolutely love him and I wish Tiger fans treated him a little better.

I realize he has some questionable lineups, but he has complete control over what could be one of our best teams of all-time.

Support Ol'Smokey this year.

Here's a great video and is one of the reasons I like this guy -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIKeA...eature=related

And I would take the Rays manager. Leyland is a good manager but imo the Rays manager is the best manager out there. He's done a great job especially after all the players the Rays lost after 2010 and they make the playoffs again anyway.

vCash
    My little baseball dream is that when Leyland is done (hopefully after our 2012 World Series title). Kirk Gibson takes the Tigers Manager job and brings Trammell with him..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fadedmario View Post
    My little baseball dream is that when Leyland is done (hopefully after our 2012 World Series title). Kirk Gibson takes the Tigers Manager job and brings Trammell with him..
    That would be awesome

vCash
    Wasn't Alan Trammel Detroit Tigers Manager already and Kirk Gibson the assistant and how did that turn out Detroit Tigers were absolutely horrible im sticking with Jim Leyland he's the one Manager who change Detroit Tigers organzation around tremendously right from the start first year managing to now as a Manager of the Detroit Tigers and made them a whole alot better team bottom line.
    Last edited by SportsGambler; 04-11-2012 at 10:02 AM.

vCash
    Leyland has done a pretty good job but you guys have had some pretty good talent on the field too. I really couldn't imagine someone else managing the team right now. There's a few managers that might be better but I don't know if they're better for this team.

vCash
    managing is baseball is so overrated.
    2013 Adopt-A-Lion: Nick Fairley

vCash
    Little preemptive. We need to lose before we can bash Smokes. And unless Verlander sucks dack tomorrow...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SportsGambler View Post
    Wasn't Alan Trammel Detroit Tigers Manager already and Kirk Gibson the assistant and how did that turn out Detroit Tigers were absolutely horrible im sticking with Jim Leyland he's the one Manager who change Detroit Tigers organzation around tremendously right from the start first year managing to now as a Manager of the Detroit Tigers and made them a whole alot better team bottom line.
    I love Jim Leyland and have always been a fan of the guy, even as far back as his Pirate days. He is a class act, does not mess around, and is commonly referred to by people IN baseball as one of the best managers in the game.

Trammell's record as the Tigers manager is not as bad as you would think. His first season, the Tigers lost 119 games, and the team was clearly bad without any talent. The next two seasons (04 and 05), they won 72 and 71 games. Not great, but a huge improvement over his first season with the team.

Leyland took over in 2006 and what did they do? They went to the World Series. Now, i'm not saying that Leyland does not deserve credit for this, but the Tigers had a TON of rookie talent come in that season, and i'm pretty sure that Trammell would have had additional success had he been the manager as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    managing is baseball is so overrated.
    Yes and No. Overall, its a players game because they are on the field. At least in football, coaches are calling every play.

However, you can't tell me that managers like Joe Madden are overrated. He is hands down probably the best manager in baseball right now. You can't tell me that Tony LaRussa wasn't a great manager. And you can't tell me that Jim Leyland is not a great manager.

There are other guys that just don't seem to be good managers. I live in NY and I think Girardi is not a good manager.

A lot of managing has to do with things that happen behind closed doors, in the clubhouse, in spring training. You obviously need to have talent on your team to be good, but the manager sets the atmosphere.

vCash
    My final comment is that I've been behind Jim and defended him against TONS of people on this site over and over again. Its ridiculous some of the things that are said on here about him, when EVERYONE in baseball says he is one of the top managers in the game. EVERYONE.

vCash
    I think its just his lineup decisions. On resting guys right after the all star break in favor of getting inge and raybum in the lineup when we just traded for betemit and santiago was also hitting better. I know he would have my vote of confidence if he would allow inge to be let go and also keep rayburn as a bench guy not a starter. Other then that I am ok with him.
    Max Scherzer season stats

blue eyes - 1

brown eyes - 1

wins

losses

KOs

BB

WHIP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarkow View Post
    Yes and No. Overall, its a players game because they are on the field. At least in football, coaches are calling every play.

However, you can't tell me that managers like Joe Madden are overrated. He is hands down probably the best manager in baseball right now. You can't tell me that Tony LaRussa wasn't a great manager. And you can't tell me that Jim Leyland is not a great manager.

There are other guys that just don't seem to be good managers. I live in NY and I think Girardi is not a good manager.

A lot of managing has to do with things that happen behind closed doors, in the clubhouse, in spring training. You obviously need to have talent on your team to be good, but the manager sets the atmosphere.

It's up to the manager to decide when to go to the bullpen and who to bring in so managing is important

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast