Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
    vCash
    How about we sign a LG and a WR then discuss Qb's. Ponder makes me want to pull my hair our sometimes but I don't believe for a second anyone other than Rogers or Brady would be soo much more successful. Far too much pressure up the middle and drops.
    Minnesota Vikings

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankieFreakout View Post
    Not really "game, set, match", at all.

Bringing in another young QB just isn't smart. Why not give Ponder a legitimate chance to succeed? I'm all for bringing in a veteran. Names like Nick Foles shouldn't be mentioned, though.

Now that's "game, set, match".
    i WAS commenting on the fact that your original argument (that talking about QBs was boring you to sleep) was, as cheese said, not going anywhere until ponder silences the critics...

... but now that you have awakened from your slumber and are willing to talk about QBs... you're saying you dont think we should bring in a young QB... bc we dont want to shake ponders confidence??!!!

you think the jets are glad they didnt put a flame up sanchezs ars?

you think seattle is glad they did with flynn?

you think shannahan cared what people thought when he drafted cousins... after drafting RG3? now he can either trade cousins or whatever he wants... there is certainly value there.

if ponder cant handle another young QB on the roster, he cant handle sundays... let alone SB sunday.. so thats not our QBOTF!

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    LOL, glad some of you are not GM's.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Bringing in a young QB who we think could work in our system could be very smart, especially if it doesn't cost us as much as trading for a veteran QB. Its not very hard to see that a kid like Foles could have a lot more upside than available veterans like Matt Moore as well.
    I don't see how it's smart at all, unless they are happy to be no. 3.

A back up QB needs to be able to slot straight into the team. If you have another young "upside" QB as your backup there is not the same confidence in slotting them into the lineup if your no. 1 young QB is having a bad time. This is what we've had this season and why we couldn't really bench Ponder even during his terrible games.

Young QBs need veteran backup, veteran QBs should have (mostly) younger backups.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Surlyc View Post
    I don't see how it's smart at all, unless they are happy to be no. 3.

A back up QB needs to be able to slot straight into the team. If you have another young "upside" QB as your backup there is not the same confidence in slotting them into the lineup if your no. 1 young QB is having a bad time. This is what we've had this season and why we couldn't really bench Ponder even during his terrible games.

Young QBs need veteran backup, veteran QBs should have (mostly) younger backups.
    I think the upsides between Webb and Foles are very, very different. While nowhere near as athletic as Webb, Foles is a guy who has a much higher chance of developing into a starter/franchise QB (he made some pretty rapid progress once he reached Philly, to the point that Mike Mayock had to wonder if he was watching the same guy he evaluated before the draft) vs Webb who appears to have made very little progress over the years (he should not have looked totally lost out there in the pre-season and if he hasn't improved after 3 years its really doubtful he's going to get any better).

I also see very little that would stop us from slotting Foles into the starting lineup (after going through training camp with the team), or putting him in off the bench. Other than not being as mobile as Ponder, I think he could do very well behind our O-line, and already has a better arm. He's basically like a better version of Bethel-Thompson.

The biggest value of having a veteran QB behind Ponder would really be for mentorship aspect. This is something that Sage Rosenfels would have been very well suited for this year, but that's not the direction that the team wanted to go. The problem is this year in free-agency, there isn't really anyone like that who could be able to fulfill that role, unless we go looking at digging through the bone pile for a guy like Chris Redman or think about bringing Rosenfels back (again) which is really not a great idea looking at how old these guys are.

People are a little too star struck by Kirk Cousins, but you have to ask yourself, if the Skins didn't draft him, do you think that veteran backup Rex Grossman could have played just as well and won them that game for them? If the answer is no, the Redskins are no longer in play-off contention or contention for their division. Lots of people are already talking about how Cousins could be a starter and how good of a backup he would be, and how much Washington could flip him to another team for (2nd round pick or so) a while a bit of this is hype, there is a point here. You also have to look at what the Seahawks did with Russel Wilson. Sure its hard to pass up a guy like that, but I don't believe for a second that they drafted him to start this year (after paying Flynn $20 mil no less).

My point behind all of this is that our options at FA this year are going to be very mediocre. There will be former starters available (Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick, probably Kevin Kolb) but they will likely command too high a price. However, if the new coaching staff in Philly doesn't want to rebuild the team around Foles and puts him on the trade block, I think this is a move we should make. As I mentioned earlier, it gives us the best possible QB we can get while limiting what we'd have to give up vs. Smith or Fitz (both of which we would almost HAVE to be given the starting job). Sure we're going to have to spend a draft pick but in my mind we'd be getting a lot more than we would get with a guy off the street. For a 3rd round rookie I think he's played pretty well on an absolute DOG of a team.

The other thing to look at is that while I have staunchly defended the guy (and more properly the theory of trying to developing him and letting that process run its course) for his whole career as a Viking, there may come a time when we do have to bench Ponder, we just can't have more bad games and inconsistency from him next year (especially if Spielman does his job and gets him some legit guys at WR and a better guard or two). If and when that happens the team has to be ready and should have the best guy we can get for the job there behind him, I think that (for a 4th round pick or less) that's Foles. Not only could he perform spot duty and off the bench, he'd also give us a Ponder contingency plan, which could be VERY important for the future of this team if it means not having to draft another QB in the first round and then try to develop him, starting the process over again (for however long that takes) and likely not finishing until the careers of most of our better players are waning/over.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wrizzo View Post
    i WAS commenting on the fact that your original argument (that talking about QBs was boring you to sleep) was, as cheese said, not going anywhere until ponder silences the critics...

... but now that you have awakened from your slumber and are willing to talk about QBs... you're saying you dont think we should bring in a young QB... bc we dont want to shake ponders confidence??!!!

you think the jets are glad they didnt put a flame up sanchezs ars?

you think seattle is glad they did with flynn?

you think shannahan cared what people thought when he drafted cousins... after drafting RG3? now he can either trade cousins or whatever he wants... there is certainly value there. if ponder cant handle another
    young QB on the roster, he cant handle sundays... let alone SB sunday.. so thats not our QBOTF!
    Took me a while to read this. Haven't read elementary level writing in a long time.

How are you going to get a young guy, though? Give up a 2nd rounder? No.

You sign a veteran, let Ponder play.

Did you really use Mark Sanchez as an example? LOL, wasn't he awful this year? Might wanna scrap that one.

vCash
    Took me a while to read this. Haven't read elementary level writing in a long time.

Did you really use Mark Sanchez as an example? LOL, wasn't he awful this year? Might wanna scrap that one.
    Come on dude. These types of insults are not necessary. We are all fans of the same team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    It depends on how the team is looking at things, and what they value most, and how much, if any competition they want to give Ponder for the starting job next year.

Despite his inexperience, I think that Foles could contend for the starting job better than Moore or anybody off the street, which is not necessarily to say that we need to replace Ponder, but that we need to give him a run for his money.

The advantage with Foles (or a guy like him) is that if he becomes availible he shouldn't cost as much as a trading for a current starter like Fitz or Smith.
    Well here's the thing, we aren't going to be looking for a guy to come in and contend for the starting job. It's pretty obvious that the team still views Ponder as the guy. I would think the last thing they would want to do is bring in another young arm that could shake Ponder's confidence anymore. The best bet is a veteran who has experience coming off the bench in case Ponder continues to struggle next season.

Besides I think it would be a bad idea to give up any draft picks for a QB, regardless of how cheap he is. Spielman's plan is to build through the draft and based on his draft success last season, I want him to have as many picks as possible.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash

and it looks like you may have to read it again, as you obviously missed the point! sanchez is on there as an example of what happens WHEN YOU DO NOT BRING A GUY IN TO PRESSURE A DEVELOPING QB!!! a lot of people here in nyc were pissed at rex when he didnt get a better backup after sanchez' ROOKIE season...then again after his 2nd season... then again after his 3rd. if you are talking about tebow being the reason sanchez didnt succeed this year... give me a break... sanchez has never been good.

your name, amount of posts and posting content lend to the idea that you are just a troll... or at least i hope that is your deal... bc making points (insults?) and reading comprehension are not your strong suites!
    Last edited by wrizzo; 12-29-2012 at 03:07 PM.

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    Not a huge fan of trading P. Harvin, however I think there are a select few teams dumb enough to give up a high 1st rounder for him. I know what he brings to our offense, but I have also seen our offense operate without him and If we could save money and draft 2 WRS I would accept it.

Also I think there would be willing partners in the top 10 who would be willing to trade down.

Teams.
    Buffalo Bills
    1) harvin for 1st round pick
    2) trade 1st and 2nd for Bills 1st pick (Vikings select Te'o or Jarvis Jones resign Brinkley move to outside if Te'o)
    *****Buffalo is in need of playmakers offense Steve J. needs help and is no secret Fitzpatrick is on the outs. Buffalo may wish to trade down and gain an extra pick instead of reaching for a Barkley, Wilson, Glennon, Nassib with a top 10 pick.

Oakland Raiders
    Harvin for 1st pick
    **It's obvious oakland is about to blow this team up and start from scratch. They have put all 3 starting Wr's on the trading block and may bite on the thought of #12 in black and silver.

Wild Card
    Cleveland
    1) 1st and 2nd for Browns #1
    2) Jared Allen + 5th rounder
    - Cleveland is still in rebuild mode and has no 2nd round pick and need help with pass rush on the edges.

Just stirring the POT may be irrelevant with our draft pick dropping after a historic playoff run this season.....IT STARTS TOMORROW! SKOL
    Last edited by El Jorge 69; 12-29-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    Minnesota Vikings

vCash
    I'm a troll because I think you're wrong? You're also discrediting me for my amount of posts? LOL. Get off your high horse. Your post count has absolutely no effect on this argument.

vCash
    I'm a troll because I think you're wrong? You're also discrediting me for my amount of posts? LOL. Get off your high horse. Your post count has absolutely no effect on this argument.
    nah... i saw freakout... and in the span of like 5-7 posts... you wrote,

"So, is it going to be like this again where every available QB is going to be brought up as a possible Viking? Bores me to tears."

"LOL, glad some of you are not GM's."

"Took me a while to read this. Haven't read elementary level writing in a long time."

im sorry man... after i posted that i looked into some of your other posting (psycho? nah) to see what else you have been up to... and i admit i jumped the gun on the "freakout" being what you are trying to get out of people.

waves a white flag

you are entitled to your opinion... though i would like to hear how you spin the 3 examples i gave before... this time hopefully understanding that sanchez is an example of a QB who absolutely should have had someone else on the roster to apply a pressure to perform.
    Last edited by wrizzo; 12-29-2012 at 10:47 PM.

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    My name is coined after Francisco Liriano. It has nothing to do with my attitude.

vCash
    Whatever your name is whats with the guy from Full House...hey im not judging im just sayin

vCash
    Bob Saget looks good these days.

Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast