Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    My dream is to get Kalil, Jeffery/Randle and somehow trading back into the 2nd for Smith but that is highly unlikely

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    If we stay at 3 we are taking Kalil but if we draft down and cant still get Kalil then I say Justin is our guy, we out of nowhere have some depth at CB so I dont think Claiborn will be our pick.

vCash
    agreed if we stay 3 it better be kalil if we trade down then so be it take blackmon or claiborne or kalil if he's around

vCash
    My dream is....

1. Kalil
    Trade our 2nd and 4th rounder for Mike Wallace.
    3. Alfonzo Denard.

vCash
    Pitt would never accept a 2nd and 4th alone for Wallace. Even if they felt they can get a WR at 35 that player wouldn't be on the level as Wallace so they would want more than a 4th in return otherwise what would the be getting out of this trade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism516 View Post
    How does signing Simpson make WR less of a need? He will be suspended the first 4 games of the year, he has never been more than a 3rd WR.
    So... ?

Teams need more than just two good WR's. Exploiting matchups goes further than your two starters. Teams need a good 3rd WR because it's just too easy for a defense to focus on two guys. A good defense will force you to beat them throwing to someone else. Take the Giants for example. Mario Manningham, he was behind Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz on the depth chart but just because he was their 3rd receiver doesn't mean he wasn't an important part of the team. He in many ways stepped up and allowed for that Giants team to not only make the Super Bowl but win it in that final drive. He had 8 catches and 3 Touchdowns, one each game, throughout the playoffs but his most important contribution was in that final drive of the Super Bowl. When Bill Belichick was thinking this is a Hakeem Nick/Victor Cruz game, we gotta double those guys and make them throw it to someone else, that's exactly what Eli did. He went 3 / 4 on those first four plays of that game winning drive throwing to Manningham. It was Manningham, their 3rd WR, not Cruz or Nicks that stepped up and made the big plays that allowed them to move down the field and score the game winning touchdown. "

I think getting someone like Simpson could help the team out greatly and he may just come up big in a game like that scenario above. Signing him doesn't mean we wouldn't target a WR in the draft either. We still need that go-to receiver, that #1 guy that can take pressure off Harvin and open things up for all our receivers. I say Alshon Jeffery, Harvin, Simpson, Jenkins/Aromashodu is a good WR corps. Considering we got a couple good receiving tight end options as well I'de say that would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo30 View Post
    WR will still be a need, just not as much of one. The four game suspension isnt that big of deal, we can make due til he comes back.

A WR corp of :

-Harvin
    -Simpson
    - <insert rookie here>
    -Jenkins/Aromashodu

Looks like a pretty solid improvement to me. The good thing about Simpson is that he is a fast outside guy capable of stretching the field.
    Yeah man throw in Jeffery (or McNutt if we go defense in round 2) and possibly a later round flier type guy and I'de take that. We could really draft defense early then and get that side of the ball fixed.
    Last edited by JA22; 04-21-2012 at 04:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JA22 View Post
    Pitt would never accept a 2nd and 4th alone for Wallace. Even if they felt they can get a WR at 35 that player wouldn't be on the level as Wallace so they would want more than a 4th in return otherwise what would the be getting out of this trade?
    cap space

but no, I don't see them wanting to do it...or us wanting to spend even more to get him
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    I hope we get Simpson, I didn't know he was the one with the perfect flip into the endzone last year. He obviously has athletic ability so plug him in with Harvin, Devon Aro, and Michael J

vCash
    Simpson, Harvin, Jenkins/Aromshadu (I'll learn how to spell it eventually), and Jeffery/McNutt/Randle/Quick would be miles ahead of our offense from last year. Oh and add in the duo threat of Carlson and Rudolph!
    Bridgewater Draft and Highlights Video

Adobt-A-Viking: Josh Robinson
    8 Tackles, 2 INTs, 18.5 Passer Rating

vCash
    Any word on Simpson?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Any word on Simpson?
    If he signs it probably won't be till after the draft. I believe the Rams and Bengals are still in play for him.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JA22 View Post
    So... ?

Teams need more than just two good WR's. Exploiting matchups goes further than your two starters. Teams need a good 3rd WR because it's just too easy for a defense to focus on two guys. A good defense will force you to beat them throwing to someone else. Take the Giants for example. Mario Manningham, he was behind Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz on the depth chart but just because he was their 3rd receiver doesn't mean he wasn't an important part of the team. He in many ways stepped up and allowed for that Giants team to not only make the Super Bowl but win it in that final drive. He had 8 catches and 3 Touchdowns, one each game, throughout the playoffs but his most important contribution was in that final drive of the Super Bowl. When Bill Belichick was thinking this is a Hakeem Nick/Victor Cruz game, we gotta double those guys and make them throw it to someone else, that's exactly what Eli did. He went 3 / 4 on those first four plays of that game winning drive throwing to Manningham. It was Manningham, their 3rd WR, not Cruz or Nicks that stepped up and made the big plays that allowed them to move down the field and score the game winning touchdown. "

I think getting someone like Simpson could help the team out greatly and he may just come up big in a game like that scenario above. Signing him doesn't mean we wouldn't target a WR in the draft either. We still need that go-to receiver, that #1 guy that can take pressure off Harvin and open things up for all our receivers. I say Alshon Jeffery, Harvin, Simpson, Jenkins/Aromashodu is a good WR corps. Considering we got a couple good receiving tight end options as well I'de say that would be fine.

Yeah man throw in Jeffery (or McNutt if we go defense in round 2) and possibly a later round flier type guy and I'de take that. We could really draft defense early then and get that side of the ball fixed.
    Haha, ok. You are saying the same thing I said. Some guys are saying that if we sign Simpson, we won't need to spend a high pick on a WR. I like Jeffery too, and I agree that picking him at 35 is a good move, and picking up Simpson is an ok move too. But some guys are overvaluing him big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chrism516 View Post
    Haha, ok. You are saying the same thing I said. Some guys are saying that if we sign Simpson, we won't need to spend a high pick on a WR. I like Jeffery too, and I agree that picking him at 35 is a good move, and picking up Simpson is an ok move too. But some guys are overvaluing him big time.
    It's not over value it's adjusting to the big picture of the roster. How do you see Simpson's value...where would he rank on the depth chart? Yes I do see him as a guy that would make that 2nd rd draft pick not so much of a lock to be a WR. Especially with guys like Harrison Smith, Mychal Kendricks available at 35 and its looking more and more like guys like M.Jones, McNutt, even Sanu might be there in the 3rd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dimgim View Post
    Any word on Simpson?
    @TomPelissero: #Vikings continuing to meet with Jerome Simpson. He is staying in town tonight. I wouldn't be surprised if something gets done. We'll see.

No decision yet on Jerome Simpson, who continues to meet with Vikings

Jerome Simpson remained in the Twin Cities on Saturday evening as the Minnesota Vikings tried to get to know the athletic receiver whose on-field inconsistency and off-field transgressions have kept him on the free-agent market.

Simpson, 26, arrived at Vikings headquarters on Saturday to meet with team officials and undergo a physical. He was scheduled to stay in town overnight and depart on Sunday unless a deal is reached.

The Vikings, who begin their offseason program on Monday, no doubt are intrigued by Simpson's combination of size (6-foot-2, 190 pounds) and speed (ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds at the 2008 NFL scouting combine). He set career highs with 50 catches for 725 yards and four touchdowns in 16 games (14 starts) last season with Cincinnati.

But Simpson pled guilty on March 1 to a felony charge resulting from about 2 pounds of marijuana being shipped to his northern Kentucky home in September. He was sentenced to 15 days in jail and three years' probation and also could face a suspension under the NFL's substance abuse and/or personal conduct policies.

The Vikings spent much of last season dealing with fallout from another felony case, which ended with Chris Cook's March 15 acquittal on domestic assault charges. So, it's no surprise they're going to extra lengths to vet Simpson before deciding whether to make an offer.

Receiver is one of the Vikings' more prominent needs entering the NFL Draft, which begins on Thursday night. Their only veteran signing this offseason at the position was Bryan Walters, who has spent most of the past two years bouncing on and off San Diego's practice squad.

A second-round draft pick (46th overall) out of Coastal Carolina in 2008, Simpson's NFL career was a resounding disappointment before he broke through last season. In 29 career games, Simpson has 71 receptions for 1,004 yards and seven touchdowns.
    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/N..._Vikings042112

vCash
    I think Simpson could be interesting. His suspension is not as bad as it seems. Even if its for 4 games, we'd be able to basically carry another WR onto the team for those first 4 weeks to see if they can beat simpson out. There's going to be lots of competition to see who makes the roster.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast