Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Greg Cosell (one of Gabbert's critics before draft), says he's in very good situation

one of the biggest blaine gabbert critics even before the draft was nfl films greg cosell. If you don't follow cosell on twitter (@gregcosell) he's a wealth of information this time of year as he tweets his evaluations on players heading to the draft. Cosell was very critical of gabbert pre-draft, noting he had the physical tools and smarts teams wanted, but was often frantic in the pocket. With the hiring of mike mularkey and staff, cosell thinks that it will help out gabbert tremendously.

Greg cosell@gregcosell
    gabbert in very good situation with mularkey. Terrific with run game + play action. Will help gabbert w/quicker throws + more defined reads.
    3 apr 12

part of the reason mularkey was brought in to jacksonville was to help groom and work with gabbert. As cosell mentions, mularkey uses to run game and play action to make the game easier on his quarterback. He also incorporates more quick throws and getting the ball out, which is similar to the style and tempo gabbert played in at missouri. It will be interesting to watch gabbert in the preseason and see if this changes his play and feel in the pocket.
    -bcc

vCash
    They did some of that at the end of last season to help Gabbert out, but I don't think the rest of the offense was used to it. The timing wasn't there and the receivers weren't ready for Blaine's passes. That why I hope they draft Jeffery. He catches the ball even if he just has an instant to adjust.

vCash
    I certainly like what I hear. A lot of people weren't that ecstatic with the Mularkey hire, but I certainly was content with it (my 2nd option at the time). They will design an offense that works best for Gabbert and that alone will help, add in L-Ro and a receiver or 2 in the draft, along with getting an off-season of help and to gain chemistry with Lewis and the others, i'm excited to see what he does next year.

vCash
    Yeah, his odds should improve a lot in the coming year. The other thing you have to expect is that teams will send the kitchen sink after Gabbert, believing he can be rattled in the pocket. So the play calling will have to take that into account. At least until Blaine can prove the profile wrong.

vCash
    Yup, not to mention a lot of people will be focused in on the run game with arguably the best RB in the league.

vCash
    Sounds like the way I play madden, blitz the hell out of the QB and stop the run. Needless to say I get burned a lot....
    The Future of The Jacksonville Jaguars
    Duuuuuuuvvvvaaaaaaaalllll

vCash
    Gabbert is the same age as Luck and Griffin, over a year younger than Tannehill and Cousins, about six years younger than Weeden. This is like his rookie season, really. New owner and completely new coaching staff on the offensive side.

vCash
    We'll see what kind of situation Gabbert is in this season. Gabbert has all the tools to become a really good QB in this league, but severely lacked the coaching last season. He had some really nice throws last season, which coincidentally came off of his back foot. Those throws aren't going to last. Once he learns to fully step up in the pocket, he'll make huge strides.. He needs to learn to trust the O-Line and his receivers. And to do that, the O-line and receivers need to give him some time in the pocket and make catches..

Gabbert was way too raw last season to really have an impact on offense..
    So we'll see..

vCash
    Yup, I agree with that. I know the coaches will work hard with Gabbert, and i'm sure the main thing they will work on is footwork. Hopefully when pre-season games start up we'll see some differences.

vCash
    Gabbert is on the right path. Look at Bradford who had a pretty successful rookie season then crashed. Better to start out at the bottom and work your way up.

vCash
    bradford was also injured he whole year and he had the second worst wr in the league

vCash
    He wasn't any better than Gabbert last year. Blaine was playing hurt as well, and he had the worst WR in the league.